Moving to Thailand 2020

Driving a LHD car is NOT a problem....you might find insurance gets difficult to find. In some countries you have to convert the vehicle to RHD after so many months - I've never heard this happen in Thailand.

HOWEVER what will be a problem is import duties - you are likely to end up paying up to 300% for the value pf the car as assessed by Thai customs and excise before you drive legally with a BLUE registration book. The process an take a long time, require a customs agent and various fees and backhanders.

Very VERY few people can eve be bothered to import a private vehicle into the country - (even temporary imports are one only for one month) - cars made in Thailand are relatively cheap to buy new and hold their value second -hand quite well - running costs are still very low due to light taxes, fuel costs and the cost of labour in workshops.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Has the Police Order from 2014 or 2015 ( or thereabouts) banning the import used vehicles, motorbikes and parts been rescinded?

If not, then discussion is pointless.

If we are thinking of the same thing, it has been modified but I think that referred to TEMPORARY imports, and was aimed at Chinese RVs.

Edited by wilcopops

Pretty sure it related to all vehicles. Thinking about it it may have been in 2013. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of importing a car or bike in the last five years?

2 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

If we are thinking of the same thing, it has been modified but I think that referred to TEMPORARY imports, and was aimed at Chinese RVs.

Most has been said by learned TV folks. >>> Import tax on your car will be horrendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sell the bloody thing and buy one in Thailand ... truckloads of near new repossessed cars for sale at good prices if you have cash and can negotiate well.

Not that hard if you have the doe loaded on a debit or credit card to do the deal fast, and have a smart Thai person to help you do the deal - just take 25% as an example off the price they ask for and offer that for a deal right there and then, and they will bite hard, after the usual transparent false protestations of no can do - you pay more and other no no no's.A buddy of mine bought a Merc 350 six diesel sedan from a yard that deals with many repossessed... almost brand new ... he got it for half its new value something or other and it had 15000 kms only on the clock. Beautiful car!

There are sh..loads of these yards all over Thailand.

Tools all wrong voltage.

Tools are cheap in Thailand and great quality brands can be gotten as well as mid to cheap lines.

Furniture is cheap, even hand made one-offs are good value I think.

Thais can make gorgeous wooden furniture ... easy to find. Some great furniture shops in the streets around JJ market (outside not inside JJ).

Good bedlinen is very expensive in LOS ... so get family back home to buy, open, wash, repack, and send them as 'used goods' to you ... no tariff then.

Clothing is a no brainer ... as there are really good tailors in BKK (many <deleted> ones too) e.g.'s of good ones I've used for years are: Embassy Tailors Chitlom, and for really top end hand made clothes Narin at Narin Couture just up from Soi 8 Sukhumvit road towards Soi 10.

Bring your suitcases with basic clothes and hit Embassy for decent handmade gear (or if you want higher end then Narin) and get kitted out ... and that's it ????

• Thanks 1

As everyone else has commented bringing your car and a LHD one is the worst moove. I bought a new Toyota pickup here when I arrived 7 years ago. You can get a really good deal from Toyota or Mitsu dealers on new vehicles. Driving, my wife does it and that in itself is cause for a heart failure. And I used to tutor safe driving in the oil and gas industry. Tools, didn't bring any, all brands are available here and that includes household appliances. I did bring my Macbook and iMac. Elec supply here is 230v @ 50Hz. I had an almost new cruiser motor cycle and to ship it plus 300% of its' value, plus, plus  tax I gave it my son as a parting gift..Wouldn't ride a motor cycle here in any case, too bloody dangerous. Happy days

Edited by Taffyfromflint
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone who has successfully claimed the exemption for returning Thai citizens recall what Thai customs form you needed to submit to qualify?  I believe that since the Thai wife and myself both are moving to Thailand we will be allowed exemptions for 2 TV's and 2 computers.  I hope 4 mattress's won't be a problem.

Our shipment date is approaching and International Sea & Air has engaged a Thai company to handle clearing customs and transporting container from Laem Chabang to Hang Dong.  They probably know the answer, but I would rather be prepared than not.

Looks like the container will take about 26 days from LA/Long Beach to Lam Chabang.  Hopefully we will exit quarantine on Sep. 27/28 about 18 days ahead of container arrival.

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Does anyone who has successfully claimed the exemption for returning Thai citizens recall what Thai customs form you needed to submit to qualify?  I believe that since the Thai wife and myself both are moving to Thailand we will be allowed exemptions for 2 TV's and 2 computers.  I hope 4 mattress's won't be a problem.

Our shipment date is approaching and International Sea & Air has engaged a Thai company to handle clearing customs and transporting container from Laem Chabang to Hang Dong.  They probably know the answer, but I would rather be prepared than not.

Looks like the container will take about 26 days from LA/Long Beach to Lam Chabang.  Hopefully we will exit quarantine on Sep. 27/28 about 18 days ahead of container arrival.

This topic is almost a year and half old and your question would be best asked in the 

Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments forum.

You can also find info here on this website. http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_F01_160426_01&ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_01

This topic is now :mfr_closed1: