Annual Car Tax Renewal

My fiancée noticed a couple of weeks ago that we have been driving without car tax since the end of last year (Dec '18), I had a quick look what to do, seems you need to go to a garage and get the car checked and then take the certificate to the Land Transport Office. I couldn't do it straight away as we were going to the UK.

I have just come back and was wondering upon trying to get the new tax slip, am I likely to incur any fines by not having any for 3 months!?

Thanks in advance.

No need to go to any garage, Just go with your Book to the tax place they will sort it. There is usually a small fine for being late.

You don't state how old your lump is but it might need a Thai MOT they will also do that. Simple. Take the G/L as she can tell them it's been off the road as you were not in Thailand. Not that that matters anyway. It's just that there more than likely wont be anyone that speaks English there. Don't worry there's never a problem for being late here. Half the Thais don't have tax insurance or a licence at all.  

You will only need to have the car checked if it is more than 7 years old. If that is the case, you don't take the car to a garage but to one of the authorized inspection places sporting this sign:

Inspection.jpg.0d3803f72ef471ea5a82140889cf38f2.jpg

You will be fined for renewing your road tax late, I believe at a rate of 1% of the road tax amount per month or part of month you are late, so not a great amount. Have you paid your compulsory insurance? You won't be able to renew your road tax if you can't show proof of having paid the compulsory insurance.

Sophon

Having your private insurance with the same company as the one covering your government insurance makes things MUCH easier if you ever need to use it. 

AS I recently found out. Your private insurance agent won't help with the government insurance, even more run around at a time when you don't need it.

42 minutes ago, cooked said:

Having your private insurance with the same company as the one covering your government insurance makes things MUCH easier if you ever need to use it.  

Is this even possible? I thought the compulsary insurance is always from http://www.rvp.co.th/

When i bought my bike i got two papers, one from Viriyah for first class insurance, stating in bold red that it doesn't include the compulsary insurance, and another paper from RVP for the compulsary insurance.

The compulsary insurance for other bikes which i had was also always from RVP

1 hour ago, cooked said:

AS I recently found out. Your private insurance agent won't help with the government insurance, even more run around at a time when you don't need it.

If you have First Class why would you even bother.

Even Second +

21 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

If you have First Class why would you even bother.

The compulsory government "basic" insurance is  "compulsory"  it is required to have it no mater what ever other insurance you also want to buy, if you don't have it you cant buy the road tax sticker.

1 hour ago, johng said:

The compulsory government "basic" insurance is  "compulsory"  it is required to have it no mater what ever other insurance you also want to buy, if you don't have it you cant buy the road tax sticker.

After 15 years I know this ...

Look at the post I quoted - all will be revealed

Hi all. I'm kinda hijacking this post, but like to make sure I understand all of the above. I have to reapply for road tax shortly. My car was manufactured in 2011 & first sold in 2012. I guess I'll have to take it for an inspection at an authorised test station, garage. I have just paid my first class annual insurance. Papers, certificate arrived in the mail today.

So, after I get the car inspected I go to LTO with inspection certificate & insurance papers ? Pay for Govt. compulsory insurance & road tax & off I go ? Oh, does LTO need to see the first class insurance policy or they not really interested in that ?

Thanks in advance.....     Mal. 

16 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Hi all. I'm kinda hijacking this post, but like to make sure I understand all of the above. I have to reapply for road tax shortly. My car was manufactured in 2011 & first sold in 2012. I guess I'll have to take it for an inspection at an authorised test station, garage. I have just paid my first class annual insurance. Papers, certificate arrived in the mail today.

So, after I get the car inspected I go to LTO with inspection certificate & insurance papers ? Pay for Govt. compulsory insurance & road tax & off I go ? Oh, does LTO need to see the first class insurance policy or they not really interested in that ?

They are not interested...

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

More rubbish from...

Before you slate peeps might be a good idea to check first.

I travel quite a lot down the AR 1/32 there are several checks on that road for Tax disc D/L. Two I will point out are in Nakhon Sawan and Chainat as they are a permanent thing. (That's in both directions)

I have never been through those and not seen at least 30/40 peeps being stopped, shunted to the side of the road for not having a currant Tax displayed. Also lining up to pay the 500bt instant fine they get. At the 3/4 permanently maned tables. If there were not many getting stopped why have 3/4 tables ??? 

As an added bit the last time my BBK Taxi man picked me up he was stopped for not having a currant Tax disc. Finned 500bht. His excuse was that he never gets stopped in BKK.

My Wife didn't have a D/L for a M/C for several years. Till I told her to get one, this she has now done. Her excuse was she had never been stopped. Mind you she will always tax the M/C when it runs out.

I have had 1 accident in the 25+ years I have been driving in Thailand (I didn't cause it) the plonker opened his drivers door and it hit my front wing. He had a D/L but no insurance or currant tax. The BIB turfed him off to the station. They confiscated his lump and I was told he wouldn't get it back till he reimbursed my insurance company.  

Just ask if you want more of the same as I have lots of stories.

Or at least get your facts correct before you try and slag people off.   

21 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

^^^ Story above, while interesting, does not come CLOSE to having 1/2 of the driving population without tax disc or DL.

Nice try Tho'

Suggest you look at the many lumps on the road without a tax disc displayed. Or at least an up to date one. It might surprise you.

Not even going down the road of them not having a currant Insurance as that doesn't have to be displayed on the window like you used to have to do. D/L haven't a clue but if they don't tax or the way they drive it's even monies.

I will go even further M/C Drivers are at least 70% with at least something missing. I live near a Uni and they get stopped all the time. Having their M/C taken by the BIB until they pay their fine.

15 hours ago, malt25 said:

You can't pay the compulsory insurance at the DLT, but the place that tests your car will be able to sell you the insurance.

Personally, i find it easier to buy the compulsory insurance from the same company that you use for your first class insurance. That way you automatically receive all the papers in the mail and have them ready for going to the DLT.

Sophon

3 hours ago, Sophon said:

You can't pay the compulsory insurance at the DLT,

Well you can at the 2 I've used in Chonburi...or you can buy it at the places displaying this sign

post-2109-1243322952.gif

where you can also get the vehicle checked ( for roadworthiness )  if its  a motorcycle older than 5 years or a car older than 7 years.

Can also buy it, at the office beside the DLT main door, in CNX

Both locations

I use the Inspection places as one car on LPG and needs inspection anyway.

Used Tokio Marine for last 5-6 years - good service, bail bond, altho' no claim yet. But others - Thai people - report favorable results

Archived