Let's hear from you retirement extension vikings @ chaengwatthana: getting in and out AFAP

Hopefully that title made sense.

I'll be going to CW in a couple of weeks to extend my retirement for another year.  I did the last two at Roi Et, so the first thing I'll need to do when I get there is an address change.  I already picked up the TM30 for that a few weeks ago.  I see the TM30 is all for the housemaster to fill out, so nothing much for me to do there except carry it along with me.

I plan to be standing at the Kasikorn Bank on location in Government Complex when they open at 8:30.  Seeing as how they're right there in the same building as immigration, they presumably do this bank funds letter a dozen times a day and therefore should be able to crank that out fast.  I plan to be out of there by 9 and then go upstairs to immigration to get my queue number for the address change.  Not sure how long that will take.

Then it's off to section L for the retirement extension.  These are reportedly the easiest kinds of extensions to do as long as I've got my bank register and same-day-dated letter, so I hope to be out of there before lunch.

Does this seem like a reasonable goal?

Two things, based on my experience at CW last week:  1) Don't you also want to get a re-entry permit in the event you leave Thailand anytime in the next year.  Can't get a number for that until you have done the extension.  2) I was concerned about not having done a TM30, the issue never came up.  Appears CW does not enforce this, or maybe just selectively.

I got to CW at 8:30, K Bank letter was painless.  But still I was not out the door until 2:30 with extension and re-entry permit.

Talked to another guy who got there to stand in line at 0530 to get a jump on everything.  He completed his extension by 0930, by the time he got his re-entry he was probably out by around noon.  That scheme did not appear to save any time.

13 minutes ago, setbkk said:

Don't you also want to get a re-entry permit in the event you leave Thailand anytime in the next year.

From other discussions here, this is easily obtained at the airport on the way out.  But traveling exhausts me so I rarely do it.  I haven't been out of Thailand in five years.

14 minutes ago, setbkk said:

I was concerned about not having done a TM30, the issue never came up.  Appears CW does not enforce this, or maybe just selectively.

I went there a few weeks ago with a friend and while I was there took the opportunity to ask the queue ticket lady for the handout that lists the new rules for retirement extensions.  Coincidentally, she said she used to work at the "L" desk which are the officers who do the retirement extensions. I wonder what she was doing at the queue ticket desk - that seems like a demotion.

She ask for my passport even though I told her I wasn't there to do the extension that day, and she noticed my last extension was done in Roi Et.  She snapped it closed and handed it back to me saying "do address change first".

Did you have to make a small deposit or withdrawal into your account that morning to show current activity?  I had heard some machines won't update the passbook/register if there's nothing new to report.

11 minutes ago, R123 said:

Be careful as some have experienced aggravation on the issue of properly submitting TM 30 and supporting documents. Also TM 28.

What was source of the aggravation, do you remember?  Since the TM30 is filled out by somebody who won't even be with me (and it will likely be filled out in Thai), I'm not sure how I'll be able to account for its contents.

The supporting documents are a copy of the housemaster's ID card and copy of his house book.  Originals not needed.   I don't know if these copies need to be signed, so I'll have two of each - one signed and one not.

Don't worry about tm30 CW does not ask for it. You need to do change of address tm28. Have it all filled on before hand. Walk straight past area where people collect and fill out form. Get your que #, than walk to bank area. They will charge you maybe 200baht and also make a deposit of say 100baht. Give it to lady doing your letter. They do it often and know what you require. You may need lease, most likely you don't have one. CW seem to be requiring map of where you live. This in newish. You most likely know other docs needed such as photocopy of required passport pages etc.

I don't know why anyone gets the reentry at CW. The airport is a breeze.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't worry about tm30 CW does not ask for it. You need to do change of address tm28.

Then I am puzzled as to why they handed me a TM30 form when I was there.  I guess I will have both filled out and ready.

You may need lease, most likely you don't have one.

You're right, I don't have one since I live with my inlaws.

CW seem to be requiring map of where you live. This in newish.

Thanks for that.  I'll print out a google map just in case.

i usually get a queue number for the L desk around 9:15 (after getting my foreign currency bank book updated downstairs, i get the letter the previous day).  i've done two extensions at the L desk plus i did a 'move stamp to new passport' at the L desk (same queue/wait system).  2 out of the 3 i made it out before the lunch break.  the other time i didn't and got my passport back about 1:30-1:45.

i go back a second time to get my re-entry permit.  i know some people can't understand this for whatever reason.  for me, i can't handle spending anymore time at CW.  a few hours is plenty for me.  when i've gone back another time for the re-entry permit, it hasn't taken more than an hour (i arrive around 9:15).  my life in bkk is typically a nightlife so my days are wide open for activities.  i don't really enjoy going to CW for the lengthy L-desk process but a separate trip there to the C desk for a re-entry permit is not a problem.  i do MRT-taxi to get there, taxi-MRT to get back.

6 hours ago, attrayant said:

What was source of the aggravation, do you remember?  Since the TM30 is filled out by somebody who won't even be with me (and it will likely be filled out in Thai), I'm not sure how I'll be able to account for its contents.

The supporting documents are a copy of the housemaster's ID card and copy of his house book.  Originals not needed.   I don't know if these copies need to be signed, so I'll have two of each - one signed and one not.

My experience: I had been led to believe that at CW I did not need to have the supporting documentation that you mention.

But when I went there I was almost shouted at and told to provide the documentation and complete the forms in detail. You have it seems what is needed so you ought to be ok. 

Remember right or not a tenant is sometimes being foisted with the obligation associated with TM 30.

I can only relate my experiences; others may be treated differently.

Edited by R123

I went to CW on day of arrival last month to convert tourist to non-o based on retirement and file TM30 (own my condo). Had all docs, letter from bank etc. Visa number came up first so went to C desk. Female IO barked at me "Where's your TM30?" Showed her completed form and she insisted I filed TM30 before she would start visa conversion. I'll go back for non-o retirement extension next month so will be prepared. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, attrayant said:

If they do ask for it you will be responsible, as a minimum, to have a copy of it or fill one out yourself.

In 3 years of renewals of Extension of Stay, I've never once been asked for a TM30, and I've never had my landlord fill out one either. I always present a copy of my most recent rental receipt and a copy of my lease, but that's all. Has something changed, and should I anticipate an issue with this when I renew next July?

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

In 3 years of renewals of Extension of Stay, I've never once been asked for a TM30, and I've never had my landlord fill out one either. I always present a copy of my most recent rental receipt and a copy of my lease, but that's all. Has something changed, and should I anticipate an issue with this when I renew next July?

Have any of your previous extensions been done in a different immigration division?  My last two were at Roi Et, so they (at CW) are obviously going to see that I have moved.  I'd be surprised if they don't expect to see a TM30 (or TM28... still not sure what the diff is).

[edit] I've just looked over the two forms and the TM28 appears to be MY report to immigration that I live in place XYZ.  TM30 appears to be my Landlord's report to immigration that I live in place XYZ.  Why they just couldn't add an extra line for Landlord to sign at the bottom of the TM28, I have no idea.  Why do a job with one form when you can do it with two, right?

Edited by attrayant

Wed., March 27 Extension @ CW,  US Citizen

My extension expires on the 29th so I cut it a bit close.  I had managed to get an income affidavit before the suspension date and had been assured  that I would not be asked for any other supporting documents and this proved to be correct.  No TM-30 asked for as well.

I got off to a late start and ultimately paid a heavy price for my lassitude. In years past, I had always arrived at the end of lunch and was usually finished by 3pm.  Those days are clearly gone along with 38 Baht/$. The skytrain had several extended stops.  My taxi driver was safe but s-l-o-w.  When we got to the highway that goes to CW, that was backed up to the expressway. CW was even worse. Don't know if there was a special event but cars were double parked the length of the entry road and it took 20 minutes just to get to Bldg B. I was 5 minutes too late to get a queue number before noon shutdown. After re-opening at 1pm, my # was 118, they were working on mid 40s, so about 75 numbers ahead of me...the "L" section waiting area was packed.  They averaged about 30 numbers an hour and I got called for step one at 3:30, process completed with PP in hand at 4:30.  I never dealt with any of the traditional uniformed officers, just young women clerks in casual Immigration Police shirts.

Now,  the retribution for my lateness.  The taxi queue was about 30 minutes.  I got into a taxi at 5pm. At 6 pm, the meter read B101 and we hadn't yet cleared the complex; total gridlock. Finally arrived at Mo Chit BTS at 7:15.  Taxi fare B300, Usually around B150.  

The renewal went smoothly but I learned the hard lesson that CW and the entire complex has become a lot busier than ever before and that needs to be taken into account.

Edited by dddave

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, attrayant said:

I've just looked over the two forms and the TM28 appears to be MY report to immigration that I live in place XYZ.  TM30 appears to be my Landlord's report to immigration that I live in place XYZ.  Why they just couldn't add an extra line for Landlord to sign at the bottom of the TM28, I have no idea.  Why do a job with one form when you can do it with two, right?

If you read the law, you'd realise they are two separate issues, therefore two separate forms.

You should have filed a TM28 and TM30 within 24 hours of arrival in Bangkok.

You need to notify the change of address, before doing your extension.

Edited by Tanoshi

10 hours ago, moe666 said:

I would say you should have done the TM30 within 24 hours of moving to Bangkok

27 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You should have filed a TM28 and TM30 within 24 hours of arrival in Bangkok.

Can you tell me how the immigration officer knows that I just got into Bangkok less than 24 hours ago as opposed to more than 24 hours ago?  

"If you read the law..."

One shouldn't have to crack open a lawbook to be able to see what a form is for.  When I was at CW a few weeks ago, it was pointed out that I should do an address change because my last extension was done at Roi Et.  When I groaned at the prospect of a return trip through that traffic just to do an address change, and then yet another trip a couple weeks later for the retirement extension, I got the smile and wave-away along with "just do them both when you come back for the extension".  This advice was not from the information desk interns, but from an immigration officer at the L desk, who actually does the extensions.  I'm well aware that she might decide to change her mind when I go back in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Can you tell me how the immigration officer knows that I just got into Bangkok less than 24 hours ago as opposed to more than 24 hours ago?  

The date of your new lease at the new location could be used.  It all depends on if they want to make a problem out of it. 

"If you read the law..."

One shouldn't have to crack open a lawbook to be able to see what a form is for. ...

Yes, it is quadruple-redundant reporting required, in some cases/offices - TM-6, TM-28, TM-30, and the 90-day report. 

The goal is not efficiently tracking where foreigners are (a respectable goal), it is about convincing you to pay their agent-partners to make these problems disappear, or leave the country.  The same motivation / purpose seems evident in the case of pointless hoops for extensions.

Edited by JackThompson

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The date of your new lease at the new location could be used.

I asked in another discussion about how somebody who does not have a lease would go about proving their residence.  I asked:

"What would somebody who stays with relatives, and therefore doesn't have a lease, provide as proof of residence?  A few pieces of mail?  What about the bank statement I'll already have (because it's a retirement extension)?

Since I live with family, it would be pretty easy to draw up a perfunctory lease, or "lease" and date it the same day as my trip to immigration.

Perhaps because you already visited the IO and spoken to them?

The TM28 and TM30 headers and their purpose should be sufficient to understand the difference.

11 minutes ago, attrayant said:

I asked in another discussion about how somebody who does not have a lease would go about proving their residence.  I asked:

"What would somebody who stays with relatives, and therefore doesn't have a lease, provide as proof of residence?  A few pieces of mail?  What about the bank statement I'll already have (because it's a retirement extension)?

Since I live with family, it would be pretty easy to draw up a perfunctory lease, or "lease" and date it the same day as my trip to immigration.

A copy of the house owners Tabien Baan and ID card is the normal proof requested.

What address will be on your bank statement. New or old?

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Perhaps because you already visited the IO and spoken to them?

That was a few weeks ago, and my extension will be done about two weeks from now.  I'll be shocked if (1) I get the same officer and (2) she remembers me after all that time.  Still, I could say that I have recently traveled elsewhere in the intervening time and just returned to Bangkok again.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

A copy of the house owners Tabien Baan and ID card is the normal proof requested.

I will have that, since they are required supporting docs for the TM30, but I don't see how either of those documents prove that I live there. Is it just assumed that, since I have a copy of my father in-law's housebook and ID, that I must be living there?

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

What address will be on your bank statement. New or old?

When I came to Thailand in 2011, I opened an account at Kasikorn while staying at my current Bangkok address.  After doing a few years of traveling around Thailand and getting three extensions at other immigration offices (the last two at Roi Et), I have recently returned to Bangkok.  So the answer to your question is that they show the Bangkok address, which is both my "old" 2011 and "new" 2019 address.  I never opened a bank account in Roi Et so I have no bank account showing that address.  To look only at my bank account, you'd have no idea that I ever left Bangkok.

5 minutes ago, attrayant said:

I will have that, since they are required supporting docs for the TM30, but I don't see how either of those documents prove that I live there. Is it just assumed that, since I have a copy of my father in-law's housebook and ID, that I must be living there?

The TM30 along with a copy of the house masters Tabien Baan and ID card is sufficient + your bank statement will provide the same address to match. If in doubt they can arrange a home visit.

• Thanks 1

I would start with the house-book of where you are staying (though you cannot be listed in it), and a letter from the head-of-household stating you live there.  Yes, they could, in theory, put whatever date.  Edit: and agree with tanoshi - also the house-master's ID-Card copy.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dddave said:

Now,  the retribution for my lateness.  The taxi queue was about 30 minutes.  I got into a taxi at 5pm. At 6 pm, the meter read B101 and we hadn't yet cleared the complex; total gridlock. Finally arrived at Mo Chit BTS at 7:15.

i've had similar experience late in the afternoon.  took nearly an hour just to get out of the complex.  another time, one of my first visits to CW right after it opened (that was a 'move stamp to new passport' visit), there was no gridlock in the complex but no taxis were coming to the queue.  so i'm standing there in a small line but took at least 30 min to finally get in a taxi and then the road outside CW was jammed.  some members here recommend arriving at 3:00pm to get the fastest processing inside but i don't know how they manage to get home in a reasonable time given traffic at rush hour.

i used to show up right after lunch for extensions related to VE and SETV entries.  but after those two experiences, i switched to morning arrival.  now i always arrive about 9:15.  so alot of people have entered before me but i have a chance to get out before the lunch hour (i'm 2/3 getting out before lunch at the L desk and i'd say it was about the same at the J and K desks for extensions to VE and SETV).  one time i was shocked to get #5 for an SETV extension and i was processed so fast that i hit rush hour traffic going back to bts mochit, took about 1.5 hrs !!  so sometimes fast service inside sets you up for a slow ride home.  i got only a re-entry permit one time, arrived at 9:15 done by 9:45 (i was expecting 10:15), checked traffic on google maps and saw heavy traffic so i went downstairs and had some coffee and browsed the internet until traffic died down.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

How I hate CW - even though to date IO's have been professional and pleasant and last time paperwork was 20 minutes - walking across the whole football field length of CW to get a photocopy for re-entry in that pseudo aircon that leaves you sweating and dehydrated is a particular hate - amongst all the others. Could go tomorrow but couldn't face it, so next week...............................