Video: Motorcyclist - and car - in lucky escape as container truck topples over outside Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
..all i can say is you should continue to assist regardless.

Thanks.
If I saw a farang injury then I would do it differently...remain close by and divert traffic and introduce myself as a first responder to victim, family or friends.
If it was severe trauma then I would do all I could.

I should say if it was apparent they were from a Western Culture since they could be of any number of ethnicities.

But they would need to speak English so they understood my role if that makes sense.

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I know this sounds awful, but on a number of occasions when having seen accidents, the Thai with me has told me specifically not to stop.

They seem worried the driver might try to make out that I, as a ferang, caused the accident, maybe walking into a scapegoat situation.

Last time I witnessed an accident was a small pick-up with one of those big metal containers (like a delivery truck) that lost it on a curve. He swayed towards the ditch, over corrected and swayed the other way into the oncoming lane, then cranked it hard and plowed into the ditch about 30 meters in front of us.

The g/f was driving and I expected her to pull over so we could check the driver and was shocked when she slammed on the gas and blew past like her *** was on fire. (She said she was scared the truck would come back out of the ditch and onto the road again - there was no chance of that. I think she just panicked and wanted to get away from the scene as fast as possible.)

I looked behind and not one person behind us stopped either. 

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I know this sounds awful, but on a number of occasions when having seen accidents, the Thai with me has told me specifically not to stop.

They seem worried the driver might try to make out that I, as a ferang, caused the accident, maybe walking into a scapegoat situation.

Reminds me of time I was driving in Zambia and following a Tanzam truck that had come from Tanzania.  The truck suddenly swerved and toppled over.  When I got to the cab all I could hear was the driver laughing.  As it turned out he had spilled his dinner which he was cooking on a charcoal stove in his cab

4 hours ago, smedly said:

looks to me like a tyre failure on the trailer, you clearly see the leading tyre blow then another shortly after, you can only retread these HGV tyres a limited number of times, the casings must be in good condition otherwise they will fail - anyone think safety is number one ?

like I keep saying, safety standards cost money, poorly serviced vehicles - no checks - cheap substandard brake linings from China - tyre casings reused when they should be dumped - poor training, the list is endless, the results often fatal

Money number one

Congrats - well spotted.

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No one ever seems to stop? Nevermind about the driver is/may be hurt needs help etc, nooòooo not my business just drive on !! 

Unbelievable sometimes.

Yes, that's often the case, but right here the next truck did stop, and the driver could be seen opening the door.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

looks to me like a tyre failure on the trailer, you clearly see the leading tyre blow then another shortly after, you can only retread these HGV tyres a limited number of times, the casings must be in good condition otherwise they will fail - anyone think safety is number one ?

like I keep saying, safety standards cost money, poorly serviced vehicles - no checks - cheap substandard brake linings from China - tyre casings reused when they should be dumped - poor training, the list is endless, the results often fatal

Money number one

Stopped  at traffic  lights few  days  back, sugar  lorry, middle  inside tyres  almost shot through, could see the threads  inside with ease, two tyres  like  that, huge  pieces  missing  out of them, do they care, not one  jot.

I am wondering how much the load contributed to the problem. Overloading here is endemic, possibly the combination of load, speed, camber and radius was responsible.

The funniest one I saw a few years ago was near Phan. A pickup overloaded with pigs rolled, and there were pigs running everywhere with local Thais trying to round them up. I left them to it as I only have experience in mustering sheep.

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No one ever seems to stop? Nevermind about the driver is/may be hurt needs help etc, nooòooo not my business just drive on !! 

Unbelievable sometimes.

Just another day on the roads, drivers have seen it all before probably more than a few times.

Just tip-toe through the wreckage and carry on !

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Smart driver in the car who pulled back from overtaking. Was stunned to see the bike after having to jam on the brakes to avoid getting crushed, just change lane and drive off without a care in the world for the truck driver. Maybe he had an urgent appointment with the toilet after that one.

No one here ever seems to want to go to the vehicle involved in a crash to see if any help is required.

The truck driver was either inexperienced or drunk, a 22 wheeler with max 50 tons load need to slow down before a curve like this, he didn't even hit the brakes. My bet he's on the road with a new truck tomorrow. Welcome to Thailand, the country who top the accident statistics in the world and nobody does anything about it.

3 hours ago, tandor said:

..all i can say is you should continue to assist regardless.

I did a first aid course here once and the medic reiterated many times that one should never stop to render assistance in Thailand. Anywhere else, yes, but the law here makes it a dangerous thing to do.

7 hours ago, LennyW said:

Truck taking the corner too fast, must have been a full load too....result ....boom of the right rear tyre compounding the inevitable!

I think the goods inside container wasn’t properly weight distributed. . Can create havoc with container forklift too. Improperly weight balanced cargo will tilt if pushed round corners. 

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Was stunned to see the bike after having to jam on the brakes to avoid getting crushed, just change lane and drive off without a care in the world for the truck driver.

If he wouldn't have realized timely that his smartphone's battery was nearly empty, nowhere near enough to film the aftermath, he would have stopped

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Smart driver in the car who pulled back from overtaking. Was stunned to see the bike after having to jam on the brakes to avoid getting crushed, just change lane and drive off without a care in the world for the truck driver. Maybe he had an urgent appointment with the toilet after that one.

No one here ever seems to want to go to the vehicle involved in a crash to see if any help is required.

The brakes worked for once .... who would have thought that based on recent history

7 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

OK, last visit here about 9:00 at night, I witness a taxi cut to the outside lane and slam on the brakes right in front of a motorbike who then smashed into the trunk.

Mid-20’s female riding pillion gets slammed to ground and is unconscious.

Maybe 30-year old Male motorbike operator immediately goes up to unconscious female and starts shaking her to “wake her up” and as she continues unresponsive, he starts dragging her around by her arms.

Being an EMT, finding an unresponsive subject on hard pavement after a vehicle collision, the first concern after making sure no cars may run us over, is to stabilize the neck and assume C-Spine injury and avoid moving the patient except to roll them on their back and to look for additional trauma such as bleeding or compound fracture.

So I don’t attempt to touch the female but do talk to a 3rd party Thai male to communicate to the motorbike operator that its not good to move her like he is.

Next thing I know the motorbike operator decides its time to fight the nosy farang...ME.

Fortunately, a couple Aussies saw the whole thing and moved quick enough to encourage my hasty retreat.

In Canada, I am an EMT first responder trained to help others.

In Thailand I am a guy who has learned to mind my own business at a safe distance...Lol

Absolutely what were you thinking of. This is not Canada I am afraid. Different rules over here no matter what your good intentions were.

Absolutely what were you thinking of. This is not Canada I am afraid. Different rules over here no matter what your good intentions were.

Lol

It needn’t be Canada, this is how first responders “respond” in the entire

Western World.

And I think I had been here a few weeks at the time.

Geez, Just how long have you been over here to not remember how these things worked back home? Haha

But I appreciate the warning.

32 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

Lol

It needn’t be Canada, this is how first responders “respond” in the entire

Western World.

And I think I had been here a few weeks at the time.

Geez, Just how long have you been over here to not remember how these things worked back home? Haha

But I appreciate the warning.

Lol I have not been over here that long we go back to the UK for a few months every summer. I fully understand what we do in the western world is the correct way to behave, but believe me as you found out, it can backfire on you. As other posters have pointed out, Thai's see a farlang and immediately they think money. You mark my words by doing the "right thing" over here only leads to you getting the blame for the accident. Sad but true

10 minutes ago, jimn said:

Lol I have not been over here that long we go back to the UK for a few months every summer. I fully understand what we do in the western world is the correct way to behave, but believe me as you found out, it can backfire on you. As other posters have pointed out, Thai's see a farlang and immediately they think money. You mark my words by doing the "right thing" over here only leads to you getting the blame for the accident. Sad but true

Pure bar stool nonsense. I've helped out on a couple of occasions along side Thai guys not only without issue, but also being thanked for my effort.

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Pure bar stool nonsense. I've helped out on a couple of occasions along side Thai guys not only without issue, but also being thanked for my effort.

Why do you assume everyone sits on a barstool. I never have. All I can say is that you were very lucky, you are welcome to continue doing it until that day comes along. You obviously live in Issan and not the real world.

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Didn't read all the replies in the thread, so maybe this has already been said, but those days are gone with 90% of vehicles having dash cams fitted now. If the car had stopped to help, no way anyone could pin the blame on him with that footage, Thai or Farang.. 

41 minutes ago, jimn said:
44 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Why do you assume everyone sits on a barstool. I never have. All I can say is that you were very lucky, you are welcome to continue doing it until that day comes along. You obviously live in Issan and not the real world.

If he'd had mentioned 'old wives tale' he doesn't assume you are an Old Wife... These Myths that the 'Farang is always at fault' are myths perpetuated by guys ill equipped to handle life in a  foreign country and spend their days spewing out dumb gossip based their latest acquisition girl friend has told them.... 

I've helped at an accidents - not even a sniff of impropriety towards me....  (In Bangkok and Hua Hun).

9 hours ago, smedly said:

Money number one

Disagree. As the dash cam car passes the overturned truck at 46 secs, it's clear that all the tyres are intact.

More likely a heavy load, top heavy and too fast for the curve. The smoke that comes from the right hand tyres is caused by the trailer's mud guards bearing down on the tyres as rig tips over.

9 hours ago, smedly said:

Money number one

I too saw the tyre failure but just the one.

The initial 'puff' of smoke seems to occur as the suspension is fully depressed due to the lean of the truck moments prior to tipping point.... it seems the tyre 'rubbed' wheel arch / mud guards. 

Moments after this it appears that a split second after tipping point there was so much weight on the right rear it failed and blew out. 

Thus: I think the tyre failure was a consequence and not the cause. 

I suspect that a combination of speed entering a tightening curve and a shifting load caused the 'tip over'....

We don't know what was in the container, but I suspect that the contents of the container shifted in the curve further offsetting the balance of the trailer. 

21 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Good chance his load was top heavy.  So the weight shift + curve + speed + crowning of road against him (road leveling angles downward to the right, but road curves to left).   

Not sure why the civil engineers did that part of the road that way.  You would normally crown it with the curve, to give drivers an additional advantage.

The commercial driver should have slowed down a bit and not pretended he was driving a car.

Agreed here is a road sign that i have never seen in Thailand download.png.dac923b917b4d15facdfa63f4e0c561f.png

Archived