Video: Bus flees scene after motorcyclist and passenger injured in pick-up smash

webfact

Video: Bus flees scene after motorcyclist and passenger injured in pick-up smash

6pm_VI.jpg

Dash cam footage from an intersection on Route 4056 in Krathum Baen, Samut Sakhon showed what happened when a green bus started edging across the road. 

A pick-up arrived at speed and the driver lost control and slammed into a motorcycle and passenger. 

They were reportedly both injured in the incident last Friday.

Chanchai Sawangchang who posted the video on Facebook said the bus left the scene at speed. 

The accident caused much online comment with both the bus and the pick-up being blamed. But at the very least, posters said, the bus should have stayed at the scene. 

Police are investigating, reported Sanook. 

Picture: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-25

Excessive speed by the pick up and not paying attention as to what was happening on the road in front of him....bus pulls out slowly and with caution....happens often,hopefully the injuries to the innocent couple on the bike are not too serious :sad:

Another day on the roads here...sadly

We have 2 blaming the pick-up so far. I want to join them to make it 3-0. The bus is not completely without blame but we can't have fractions only whole numbers so the finger points at the pick-up driver. Avoidable collision.

Very unlucky for the two on the motorcycle.

11 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

That's the pick up truck there is wrong just driving high speed and not pay attention to the traffic 

bus did nothing wrong so why should he stop 

The side street traffic yields to main road traffic;  that's usually how it works.  The bus was supposed to yield to oncoming traffic.  That means WAIT until the oncoming traffic has cleared until proceeding.

That said, the pickup may have been going a bit fast.  Could he have avoided the situation if he considered slowing down a bit?  Maybe.

What was more disgusting is that the bus just drove off and did not offer any assistance.   Although I could understand that for the driver's own safety, confrontation may not be the best option.

4-0 pickup. How can the driver have missed a slow-moving, bright green bus already 80% across the road in broad daylight unless he was playing with something?

The bus did nothing wrong, no impact and was right to drive away. I did the same when a pair of silly buggers on a PX decided too late that they couldn't shoot the gap in front of me crossing the road slowly in front of them, then laid the bike down and slid gracefully, no-contact, underneath my back bumper before slamming into a light pole. Some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug.

Better luck next time.

Chokdee nah?

Bye bye.

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

4-0 pickup. How can the driver have missed a slow-moving, bright green bus

surfing facebook

said it before and will repeat - IMO Mobile phone use is one of the top causes (if not the top) of road accidents here

The only innocent party is the scooter driver, the pickup should have hit the bus. The bus was barging his way across. Taking a, "I am big, you should all have to stop for me" even if you have the right of way. I see it all the time on my scooter. Big has the right of way. end of story.  100% the bus drivers fault. The problem is the truck driver through his inattention or failing to realize the bus was bigger and would take the right of way kept coming across instead of waiting for the traffic to pass.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

4-0 pickup. How can the driver have missed a slow-moving, bright green bus already 80% across the road

Don't think he "missed" the bus but assumed it would wait until the road was clear but the bus driver didn't.  80%  across the road? :blink:

I see it often. Thai drivers think they have a right to edge onto a road that is not clear, instead of waiting till there is a safe space.

I blast them with my horn to let them know I wont tolerate it.

Totally the busses fault.

I try to avoid hitting anything, but I would aim for the big bus, rather than a fragile motorcycle.

the bus caused the accident by blocking the main road

for oncoming traffic. the pickup tried to take evasive action,

but alas.

what got into the bus driver when he thought he could accelerate trough the intersection in a timely manner anyway?

I feel for the two innocents on the scooter,  hope they make a good recovery.

On Thai roads you need to drive with caution and expect other drivers to do something stupid, and that means driving slowly, so that your braking systems can avoid a collision. The pick up just driving too fast to deal with the bus decision to cross the junction. So typical in Thailand unfortunately.

1 hour ago, aussie11950 said:

I see it often. Thai drivers think they have a right to edge onto a road that is not clear, instead of waiting till there is a safe space.

I blast them with my horn to let them know I wont tolerate it.

Totally the busses fault.

I try to avoid hitting anything, but I would aim for the big bus, rather than a fragile motorcycle.

The bus was in the wrong, I agree with you on that, but the truck driver was simply driving too fast ... he should have been driving at a pace that would allow him to avoid collision. A horn doesn’t help you if you are going at high speed.

14 hours ago, petermik said:

Excessive speed by the pick up and not paying attention as to what was happening on the road in front of him....bus pulls out slowly and with caution....happens often,hopefully the injuries to the innocent couple on the bike are not too serious :sad:

Another day on the roads here...sadly

the pickup had the right of way,

it falls upon the bus driver to stay put until the pickup

has pass

The pickup had right of way. The Bus caused the accident by 'edging out' on to a road when it didn't have right of way. 

The pickup, as usual over here, chose to 'impose' his position refusing to give way or slow down as is often the case... probably even flashed the headlights as many do... 

Then, too late as the bus continues to edge out the pickup is too late on the brakes... 

IMO Fault: 50/50... Bus edging out onto a main road & Pickup failing to slow for an obstacle in the road.

As always - most accidents in Thailand are caused by two idiots failing to follow basic road safety.

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

he should have been driving at a pace that would allow him to avoid collision.

If  you always  drove at a speed that would  avoid  collision you would  have to drive at walking pace, dog  running out child running out etc etc, its  impossible and then you'd  have a row  of  angry  drivers  behind you trying to force their way past.

17 hours ago, brokenbone said:

the bus caused the accident by blocking the main road for oncoming traffic.

But the bus didn't get hit by anything and it didn't block the road.

the pickup tried to take evasive action, but alas.

Nailing the brakes hard and locking up all 4-wheels at the very last minute isn't evasive action.

what got into the bus driver when he thought he could accelerate trough the intersection in a timely manner anyway?

The bus didn't accelerate through the intersection, he slowly nosed out, presenting a pretty big VISIBLE object to other traffic and stopped when he realized the muppet in the pickup belatedly discovered there was no gap to shoot and chose to wipe out some innocent bike riders rather than face plant in the side of the bus.

TBH, we can't tell what the layout of the road was to the right of the video (left of the bus). Judging by how slowly the bus was edging out before stopping, it is possible that there's a blind bend to the right (left of the bus). If the pickup came 'flying' around that corner, it may explain why the bus stopped mid-road well before any possible point of impact, the motorbike riders had no time to react and the screech of the pickup's tires being braked hard only being heard in the last few seconds.

Archived