British Embassy Bangkok sale: 426 million pounds spent on our "World Class Diplomacy"

webfact

British Embassy Bangkok sale: 426 million pounds spent on our "World Class Diplomacy"

British_Embassy_Bangkok_March_2017_cropped.jpg
Image: Paul_012

A freedom of information disclosure to a Bangkok resident states that the sale of the British embassy in Wireless Road netted 426 million pounds. 

The money will be spent on the Foreign Office's "world class diplomacy". And it has also been revealed that a new embassy and residence will be constructed elsewhere. 

The British embassy trumpets that there will be no interruption to their service this year. 

Further requests from a Thaivisa member for clarification of recently published embassy work figures also reveal that 250 expats and residents were among 489 cases of death dealt with by staff in the last year. 

But Freedom of Information Act regulations meant that details about murder, manslaughter and suicide victims could not be precisely conveyed. Though accidental death of British nationals was 13 with six dying in road accidents. 

The request for information was made to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Central Freedom of Information Unit by a Thaivisa reader who asked to remain anonymous. 

The reader asked for clarification on the breakdown of the number of deaths in the kingdom, what constitutes welfare and what the FCO propose to do with the money from the embassy sale. 

The answer to this last question was conveyed in a separate letter and was thus: 

"The sale of the compound raised £426 million. The funds will be reinvested across the FCO’s Global property portfolio, enabling us to continue to update and modernise our global estate so that it meets our aspiration to provide a world-class platform for diplomacy and the promotion of Global Britain. This includes a new Embassy and Residence, designed for our needs in the 21st century, on new sites in Bangkok later this year. There will be no interruption to our consular service".  

Regarding the 489 deaths death with by the embassy it was stated that the Freedom of Information act precluded giving details of information where there are five or less in a category as this might identify those concerned. 

b1.jpg

But the following was supplied to our reader:

Death from natural causes: 122
Death from murder or manslaughter: Less than or equal to five.
Death from suicide: Less than or equal to five. 
Death from accidents: 13
Number of expats or British citizens in the figures: 250 - 94 temporary and 156 permanent overseas residents died.
Death from road accidents: 6

What actually constitutes welfare (named in the report as 303 cases). 
Breakdown: Health case, 147, Financial issues 105, Immigration 50, Unknown 1. 

Though conveyed to a private individual the information above is deemed to be in the public domain.

thai+visa_news.jpg
 -- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-25

I'd be interested to know how much of the 426 Million will be spent on providing services right here in Thailand?

I have to state that the level of those services being provided to us of late, has been significantly lower than that which could accurately be described as world class.

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

"world class diplomacy".

Meaning less service for more fees and outsourcing anything possible to sub contractors so godforbid you do not disturb and bother the consulat staff with trivia chores like issuing passports and visa...

Meaning less service for more fees and outsourcing anything possible to sub contractors so godforbid you do not disturb and bother the consulat staff with trivia chores like issuing passports and visa...
But they will bump up the quality of wine from $50 to $70 served during their wine and cheese nights

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

"The sale of the compound raised £426 million. The funds will be reinvested across the FCO’s Global property portfolio, enabling us to continue to update and modernise our global estate so that it meets our aspiration to provide a world-class platform for diplomacy and the promotion of Global Britain. This includes a new Embassy and Residence, designed for our needs in the 21st century, on new sites in Bangkok later this year. There will be no interruption to our consular service".

Why don't they sell the Foreign Office estate in Whitehall which would raise a great deal more than the paltry £426 million obtained for the Bangkok site? This would enable the FCO to invest further in their "Global property portfolio" and go further to satisfy their 'aspiration' to provide a 'world-class platform' for diplomacy.

What is wrong with these people? Are they being economical with the truth about a new Embassy or are they just being slippery about the dump in Sathorn they have leased? Why do they write in such a brainless and illiterate way? it seems odd given that the upper scions etc are extremely well educated and presumably intelligent? 

Probably the decision on the wonderful old Bangkok site was inevitable but couldn't they take a break from their endless diversity workshops and think about an honest way of communicating the news. They should have said the sale was a matter of great sadness and regret, and that the charm and history of the old site would never be forgotten. They should have said the decision was driven by economic necessity and the extraordinary rise in land prices in Bangkok. They should have explained the details of the new arrangements. Above all, they should not have pretended that this sad occasion was somehow a positive step.

52 minutes ago, Thailand said:

"The British embassy trumpets that there will be no interruption to their service this year. "

So no change, no help whatsoever for UK expats.

'Standing by to provide consular assistance.'

I.e. drop in with a packet of smokes and tell you you're banjaxed because there is nothing they can do.

So foreigners can own land then? I thought it was a gift and what will happen to good old Queen Vic statue which 'protects' the place?

Back in 2008 they seem to have spent a lot of money renovating the place - no doubt all for the wrecking ball. We are selling the family silver times must be hard.

http://mjparchitects.co.uk/projects/british-embassy-staff-housing-and-amenities/

Image result for british embassy bangkok

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

So foreigners can own land then? I thought it was a gift and what will happen to good old Queen Vic statue which 'protects' the place?

Under International law , Embassys do not have to abide by local laws , so, the foreigner not owning land rule does not apply 

It survived the  Japanese invasion <deleted>...

Queen Victoria statue

The statue of Queen Victoria is a copy from the same mould of the statue at Winchester designed by Sir Alfred Gilbert for the Queen's golden jubilee.[8] The plinth bears the inscription, "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain & Ireland, Empress of India. Erected in loving memory by her subjects in Siam. 1903." Originally situated outside the entrance gates to the legation on Charoen Krung Road, it was subsequently moved when the mission relocated to the new compound and again when part of the site was sold in 2007. The statue was boarded up when the consulate was occupied by the Japanese during World War II, but a peephole was left, symbolically allowing the Queen to see outside. The statue also used to be popular with local Thais, who would leave offerings in exchange for good fortune, help in exams, or success in bearing children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_of_the_United_Kingdom,_Bangkok

One good thing is, now that everyone carries a mobile phone, there are plenty of cheap, empty phone boxes available for them to move into. 

They might even manage to get all the departments into one location.

image.png.c9065db2f04a2fe75e12b740454d786a.png

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

What is wrong with these people? Are they being economical with the truth about a new Embassy or are they just being slippery about the dump in Sathorn they have leased? Why do they write in such a brainless and illiterate way? it seems odd given that the upper scions etc are extremely well educated and presumably intelligent? 

Never mistake a good education with intelligence.

Rooster

I noticed a distinct drop in their service offered … when they closed their outpost in Chiangmai .

I suspect the CM service was also financially viable considering the fees they charged.

I was sad to see them go … maybe they can be reinstated in the restructuring.

A freedom of information disclosure to a Bangkok resident states that the sale of the British embassy in Wireless Road netted 426 million pounds. 

I hope the money is in the Bank of England. I say this because in the 1970s we had a wonderful Consulate in Chiang Mai on the banks of the Ping River. It had its own landing stage, stabling for the necessary elephants and extensive manicured lawns upon which to hold cocktail parties for the good and the great, and a statue of good Queen Victoria. At some time (I am not sure when exactly) it was sold. The buyer paid part of the sales price and gained possession. According to sources close to this story, the remainder of the money was never paid, and the Embassy did not pursue the matter ...................... embarrassment ? too busy at cocktail parties ? .......

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'd be interested to know how much of the 426 Million will be spent on providing services right here in Thailand?

I have to state that the level of those services being provided to us of late, has been significantly lower than that which could accurately be described as world class.

You mis heard "World cl-ASS"

57 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

"World class service" Depends on which world they mean probably "third" is the word that should preface the sentence!

Soon there will be nothing left of consular services but an Indian call centre.

Britain is bankrupt, but squanders 14 billion pounds a year in overseas aid vanity projects. That's 28 times the value of the Bangkok embassy. It's disgusting, really. 

I wonder is Abuthnot Cholmondley-Smythe is still there? Tip top chap, excellent opening bat, all round athlete, dables in bridge, expect he surrounded by all the same stiff upper lip brigade, must pop down one day and look him up!

I wonder is Abuthnot Cholmondley-Smythe is still there? Tip top chap, excellent opening bat, all round athlete, dables in bridge, expect he surrounded by all the same stiff upper lip brigade, must pop down one day and look him up!

I know you’re having a laugh but frankly I would prefer the old kind of polished and socially easy diplomat and so would the Thais that count.The present mob are no doubt a delightful cross section of modern Britain with all that this entails - not stupid but too woke to be believed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived