British Embassy Bangkok sale: 426 million pounds spent on our "World Class Diplomacy"

webfact

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'd be interested to know how much of the 426 Million will be spent on providing services right here in Thailand?

I have to state that the level of those services being provided to us of late, has been significantly lower than that which could accurately be described as world class.

I do not think a penny will be:

"The sale of the compound raised £426 million. The funds will be reinvested across the FCO’s Global property portfolio, enabling us to continue to update and modernise our global estate so that it meets our aspiration to provide a world-class platform for diplomacy and the promotion of Global Britain. This includes a new Embassy and Residence, designed for our needs in the 21st century, on new sites in Bangkok later this year. There will be no interruption to our consular service".

As I read it, it will be for global infrastructure like a new Embassy in Thailand and not for bailing out people who do not bother with travel insurance.

13 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Total joke. The embassy that doesn't give a flying <deleted> about it's passport holders. Might as well go with the norm now and sell the site, give the middle finger to expats and use the money for the spongers back in the UK.

What services would you like the Bangkok UK Embassy to provide ?

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'd be interested to know how much of the 426 Million will be spent on providing services right here in Thailand?

I have to state that the level of those services being provided to us of late, has been significantly lower than that which could accurately be described as world class.

I'd be interested to know what is it, specifically, that prompts you to suggest that the Embassy services provided to British subjects in Thailand are not "world class"?  Income verification letters obviously do not count because the Embassy can no longer confirm the required information and they did not cease providing that service until the last few weeks of 2018.

9 hours ago, ballpoint said:

One good thing is, now that everyone carries a mobile phone, there are plenty of cheap, empty phone boxes available for them to move into. 

They might even manage to get all the departments into one location.

image.png.c9065db2f04a2fe75e12b740454d786a.png

You would do well to get the British Embassy departments correct also, the British Council has nothing to do with the British Embassy.

7 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

A freedom of information disclosure to a Bangkok resident states that the sale of the British embassy in Wireless Road netted 426 million pounds. 

I hope the money is in the Bank of England. I say this because in the 1970s we had a wonderful Consulate in Chiang Mai on the banks of the Ping River. It had its own landing stage, stabling for the necessary elephants and extensive manicured lawns upon which to hold cocktail parties for the good and the great, and a statue of good Queen Victoria. At some time (I am not sure when exactly) it was sold. The buyer paid part of the sales price and gained possession. According to sources close to this story, the remainder of the money was never paid, and the Embassy did not pursue the matter ...................... embarrassment ? too busy at cocktail parties ? .......

...hearsay?

7 hours ago, Negita43 said:

"World class service" Depends on which world they mean probably "third" is the word that should preface the sentence!

How have you been let down so badly by the Embassy's services that you describe them as "third world"?

55 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Total joke. The embassy that doesn't give a flying <deleted> about it's passport holders. Might as well go with the norm now and sell the site, give the middle finger to expats and use the money for the spongers back in the UK.

Part of your comment may have made a little sense if you haven't overlooked that fact that the use of the released funds has been explained.  Shame you couldn't see it.

I'd love to know how you rationalise the Embassy not giving a "flying whatever about it's passport holders".  UK passport holders are looked after very efficiently by the FCO office in The Trendy.

51 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What services would you like the Bangkok UK Embassy to provide ?

I'd like them to help when someone is ill and might need repatriation. I'd like them to provide proof of income letters. I'd like them to be available when I need their help, not just during office hours. To be honest from my experience they are not interested unless your plight is in the media.

Just now, SamuiGeezer said:

I'd like them to help when someone is ill and might need repatriation. I'd like them to provide proof of income letters. I'd like them to be available when I need their help, not just during office hours. To be honest from my experience they are not interested unless your plight is in the media.

Hospitals provide care when you are ill , Private companies provide repatriation covered by insurance and they cannot provide income letters due to requirements by the Thai government , what other help would you need that you cannot get elsewhere ?

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You would do well to get the British Embassy departments correct also, the British Council has nothing to do with the British Embassy.

You're obviously confusing me with someone who gives a damn.  I suggest you write a letter of complaint and send it to your embassy.  Where ever it may be.

37 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

You're obviously confusing me with someone who gives a damn.  I suggest you write a letter of complaint and send it to your embassy.  Where ever it may be.

Why should I write a letter of complaint?  The Embassy has never let me down and it's you that's complaining, not me.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:20 PM, ballpoint said:

One good thing is, now that everyone carries a mobile phone, there are plenty of cheap, empty phone boxes available for them to move into. 

They might even manage to get all the departments into one location.

image.png.c9065db2f04a2fe75e12b740454d786a.png

Waterfront too!!

Found out where £12,000,000 gone...

Government buys £12m luxury New York apartment for diplomat

The government has spent $15.9m (£12m) on a luxury apartment in New York for a British diplomat working to negotiate trade deals with the US.

The seven-bedroom flat in the 50 United Nations Plaza will house the British consul general in New York.

Boasting panoramic views, the flat occupies the whole 38th-floor, according to the Guardian, which first reported the story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47717397

Archived