Joint account for Immigration 800/400K ok?

What about joint bank account holders on the 800/400K lump sum option for the nice folks at immigration?  Would the account into which this money is deposited require the extention applicant's name ONLY - or can it include a Thai spouse, girl/boyfriend or other caretaking designee, for example?  If so, how would that affect the deposit amount required - or does it?

Anybody see any info specific to this issue?

Joint accounts are not normally accepted. 

For retirement the accepted at some office for a married couple if the amount in the bank is 1.6 million baht.

Best to have the money in an account in your name only to avoid problems.

I asked the chief of Samui immigration the same sort of question. I was thinking about a joint account for me and my Thai wife . My retirement visa renewal  was to be made using income, combination ,or B 800,000 in the bank method and all money in the account having been transferred into the account from my UK pension providers in my name. I wanted to be sure that should  I abruptly expire she would have funds  arriving whilst legal things and  new account names were sorted out.The response was that either I must show an income of Baht 130,000 landing monthly or B 1,600,000 present  before visa renewal. Possibly other offices would have a different opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Joint accounts are not normally accepted. 

For retirement the accepted at some office for a married couple if the amount in the bank is 1.6 million baht.

Best to have the money in an account in your name only to avoid problems.

Even if the spouse is Thai?

8 minutes ago, MamaSan said:

Even if the spouse is Thai?

Correct....doesn't matter who...what nationality...etc.  As mentioned some offices will allow a joint account with the wife but double the amount is required....example: Bt1.6M versus Bt800K for a retirement extension of stay.

Immigration wants to ensure "you" truly own the funds...deposited the funds from your own earnings/savings.... which some offices will believe if having a joint account with your spouse. 

But having a joint account with someone else is ripe for fraud as in you the person not really having much income/savings, but you convinced the girlfriend, friend, Thai relative, or maybe a visa agent to put your name on the joint account (for a fee, threat of bodily harm if actually touching the money) although you may not have 2 baht to your name....no source of income...etc.

• Like 1

Through bitter experience, answer is No.

Years back now, when I went to do an extension and we had a joint account it took a little 'tea money' to immigration to grant the extension, since as I was then informed, the account could only be in my name!

After that I just set up another account solely in my name for immigration verification purposes

Edited by GinBoy2

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Through bitter experience, answer is No.

Years back now, when I went to do an extension and we had a joint account it took a little 'tea money' to immigration to grant the extension, since as I was then informed, the account could only be in my name!

After that I just set up another account solely in my name for immigration verification purposes

How incredibly painful!

Thanks for the excellent responses.  Let's hope this helps others.

Jomtien, office 1.6 or over for joint.. been doing it for years off and on whenever I couldn't make a trip to Bangkok to get my income affidavit. When I made my application in January with the income affidavit I showed my joint bankbook and told it was o.k. for next year.

8 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

For marriage extension joint income was allowed until 2008 when the Thaksin administration made it husbands income only. 

Just so you know that it wasn't the much loved junta that made the rule. Perish the thought. Why else mention Thaksin?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

For marriage extension joint income was allowed until 2008 when the Thaksin administration made it husbands income only. 

Actually it was changed long after Thaksin was gone (2006 coup).

The joint income was only allowed from 2006 to 2008.

Previously my (farang) wife and I renewed our retirement extensions on the basis of 800k each, in separate bank accounts. Immigration always seemed surprised that we did not go for retirement + marriage, so this year (16th March) we did that: 800k in her account, and no money declared for me. No problem, and less paperwork! 

My only question, unanswered so far, what if we had 400k only, each?

24 minutes ago, Grusa said:

My only question, unanswered so far, what if we had 400k only, each?

The applicant for the extension based upon retirement must have 800k baht in the bank. It cannot be in an account in the spouses name.

• Thanks 1