The more money I have the less I like it here

Pravda

Came here with barely 100,000 dollars in savings.

5 years later I have over half a million. Not at the age of retirement yet.

Basically the more money I have the less value i see living in Thailand.

In a nutshell, Western size and standard condo is the same price or more than back home in a major city.

Healthcare is a crapshoot and is definitely overpriced for what you get. This, I assume doesn't apply to Americans, but not everyone is unlucky here to be born there,

Bangkok is very dirty. Sure, this is a hot climate, but very little effort is made to keep the city clean.

Western food tastes terrible and I don't know what they put inside as I get sick eating it most of the time (maybe I am allergic to some spices?).

Visa issues even if you are married.  Yes, I am talking about the hassle of even 1 year marriage extension. My wife refuses to participate and take a day off work and I don't blame her. Would buy Thai Elite but it resolves very little hassle wise and I don't know where I'm going to be in a year.

Non existent safety net. Once a guest always a guest. This is the big one for me.

Pollution. It is actually starting to affect my health. The worst thing is the government really doesn't care and they never will. Anyone thinking otherwise needs to have their head examined.

Thailand - just a bad value for money overall.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

I am prepared to take a few hundred thousand $$ off your hands......just so you can be happy here.

I am gobsmacked by how helpful some TV posters are to their fellow man.

To what major city do you refer? Certainly not mine. London.

Private healthcare is also cheap compared to my city.

Don't choose Bangkok if you feel it's too dirty.

Learn to cook for yourself if you are not happy with what is produced for you. I do just this with high quality ingredients I import for myself. The quality of the food in the USA is often not much better. Lax standards there too.

Can't argue about the visa issue as it doesn't yet apply to me.

Safety net? I have friends that went for and have Permanent Residency. No need to apply for extensions after that.

There is always a solution and since you claim to be not short of funds, it should be relatively easy.

19 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Not at the age of retirement yet.

married and not retired? sounds painful. 

i rent a 3br 2 b house 100m from the beach for 10,000 baht? USA where?

no "visa" issues for me. retired, single and 800k in the bank in Thailand.

just got back from the hospital, flying on pain killers now, you could not park your car in the USA for what they charged.

My girlfriend is running around taking care of me 24/7 while I have a slight medical issue.

25 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Came here with barely 100,000 dollars in savings.

5 years later I have over half a million.

No pleasing some people...

Another winging moaner.

At least the slogan "money can't buy you happiness" is found to be true in some instances then.

Me i'm pi$$ poor, have'nt got 50 Satang to rub together, but i'm content and relatively happy.

I also don't live in a shIthole metropolis like BKK.

Ever thought of moving to somewhere cleaner, with a view, and less traffic?

29 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Thailand - just a bad value for money overall.

Jeez.

Nothing else to report then?

30 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Western food tastes terrible and I don't know what they put inside as I get sick eating it most of the time

:ninja:

31 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Yes, I am talking about the hassle of even 1 year marriage extension. My wife refuses to participate and take a day off work and I don't blame her.

No comment necessary....

"In a nutshell, Western size and standard condo is the same price or more than back home in a major city."

Really. You can buy a studio condo with swimming pool in any American city for USD 35,000 ( Chiang Rai ) or USD 50,000 ( Chiang Mai )?

34 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yeah driving my Porsche in Malibu was the pits.

Now you understand my point.

Who could afford to drive a Porche here, let alone drive it in a city like Malibutt

Seriously these types of threads should be banned. It's no fun anymore just boring repetition. It's like no one's got any new ideas. Where's pjack his were at least funny. Nosedive visa this site should be called. 

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I want to know how you turned 100K into 500K in 5 years.  That is the TV post I want to read about.  ????????????

Hard work and American consumption. I I'll leave it at that.

BTW, not unusual that so many missed the point. Yes, I know you can get a condo for 50,000 US$ in Chernobyl Mai. Sure you can get one in Bangkok too, which will be crawling with cockroaches and rats in 10 years... that is it the building still stands. We are talking about value for money here, and the value for money is sub par in Thailand. I agree that value for money if you want to live like a cheapo Charlie is actually very decent.

BTW, not unusual that so many missed the point. Yes, I know you can get a condo for 50,000 US$ in Chernobyl Mai. Sure you can get one in Bangkok too, which will be crawling with cockroaches and rats in 10 years... that is it the building still stands. We are talking about value for money here, and the value for money is sub par in Thailand. I agree that value for money if you want to live like a cheapo Charlie is actually very decent.

Value for money went the way of the exchange rate, at least for the pound sterling

For that part of the post I agree 100%, there is an upward cycle of costs and the degree of quality, in any area, is lacking.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Hard work .... I I'll leave it at that.

Hoping it was making 30% interest on your money at some bank in Uzbekistan or Mongolia,  am retired so do not have a work permit.

Cant help you with your likes and dislikes - plenty of places to live/spend time other than Bangkok though

43 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I want to know how you turned 100K into 500K in 5 years.  That is the TV post I want to read about.  ????????????

That is easy, given the old adage here, "how do you make a small fortune in Thailand, come with a big one................."

100,000 USD turned into 500,000 Baht in 5 years..................... ????

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

If you have grown 100k to 500k here your soil must be very rich mine on the other hand has shrunk by around 65% in the 10 years here so what ya moaning at get gone????  

I think the whole purpose of the thread was for him to gloat about this

47 minutes ago, Pravda said:

The only one missing the point is you.

I prefer beach front accommodation, so Bangkok is out. Riverside is the best it can offer, so I take that whilst in Bangkok.

In London, you are starting at 13,750,000 million baht for a one bedroom apartment in the suburbs.. 21,000,000 for a two bedroom....This at the currently poor exchange rates.

Move into slightly more desirable areas and the price will rise considerably.

£1,000,000 for a house in the 'burbs is normal.

I'm sure there are many here living very nicely in houses that cost less than 42,000,000 million baht.

I vote....Troll.

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Basically the more money I have the less value i see living in Thailand.

I will agree with this. I have been back home in Australia for five days and after the polluted air I was sucking in Chiang Mai, I thought I must be crazy living in such conditions. Crystal clear sea waters, fresh air and no crazy drivers. If I had loads of money, I would do it different and later in life, I hope I can.

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Western food tastes terrible

I will agree. I get sick of Thai food after a while, just about all my stomach/allergy’s to food have already started to clear up and with the drop in the Australian dollar, it is just about the same price to live. If you are eating shit street foods, of course it will be cheaper but my produce here at home on all levels is far superior.

If it was not for the fact I have a Thai wife and her aged parents in Thailand, it would be much simpler living in Australia. In all honesty, six months in Thailand and six months in Australia yearly, would suit me fine. That may be my home goal.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

married and not retired? sounds painful. 

i rent a 3br 2 b house 100m from the beach for 10,000 baht? USA where?

no "visa" issues for me. retired, single and 800k in the bank in Thailand.

just got back from the hospital, flying on pain killers now, you could not park your car in the USA for what they charged.

My girlfriend is running around taking care of me 24/7 while I have a slight medical issue.

Glad to hear you're erect again. 

Intended as good-natured ribbingt.... found this earlier today on Amazon, thought of you.  ????

image.png.72f86211a24a2e5891d9a2b6ef657486.png

Archived