The more money I have the less I like it here

Pravda

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

But that's what all countries do, try to weed out the shams.

That in itself doesn't seem to stop most countries once approved giving your Thai spouse full rights and privileges, unlike Thailand 

Let's assume all cou tries do it. 

So ok, Thailand does not have to bc of their policy. Idk it makes sense to me. I am not thrilled about it, but it makes sense they would not eant that giant headache of subjectivity and daily borderline cases, people getting emotional etc. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

Let's assume all cou tries do it. 

So ok, Thailand does not have to bc of their policy. Idk it makes sense to me. I am not thrilled about it, but it makes sense they would not eant that giant headache of subjectivity and daily borderline cases, people getting emotional etc. 

Thing is, for most countries, immigration based on marriage is subjective, as to opposed for tourist visas which which are objective.

Once you tick all the boxes is't pretty much a done deal

That's the fundamental difference.

For most countries you have a right to bring your spouse to live in your country as a fully legal permanent resident, with the same rights as you.

Thailand could do that, but they choose not to

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thing is, for most countries, immigration based on marriage is subjective, as to opposed for tourist visas which which are objective.

For most countries you have a right to bring your spouse to live in your country as a fully legal permanent resident, with the same rights as you.

I am just giving a reason why they choose not to. And, the reason makes a ton of sense to me personally.

Imagine working in an immigration office. Would you rather decide daily if 40 marriages were legit or not? Or, would you rather just completely not have that on your plate? I am betting that is why the policy is the way it is.

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well unfortunately it's true.

Unless you are living in an Isaan tin shack, the cost differential now is marginal. Didn't used to be, but it is now

Unlike you, I live in the real world. I live in both places, I pay the bills in both places 

If I look at my utilities, my car insurance, my food (no, not buying food from from some fly infested market) gas, internet, clothing, even what we pay for health insurance through my wife's work, it's pretty much touch and go, which has the edge

Deny it you all you want if it makes it makes you feel better, but facts are facts.

I'm very happy to spend my 3 or 4 months in Thailand every year. But I certainly don't do it because it's some low cost paradise!

So why make inaccurate comparisons?  Housing in Thailand is half that of America - that's a fact Jack.  You asked, " I'm always puzzled by those that seem to slam anyone that actually leaves." And I told you.  The people who leave consistently making negative comparisons for years trying to get others to leave.  Like you did above, "not buying food from from some fly infested market."  The biggest single expense in any budget is housing and that is a fraction in Thailand of what you pay in America. 

I have a nice life in Thailand without any fly infested markets but if they kick me out I'd be messed up having to pay the housing prices in America.  My point was I have realistic information about cost of living for me in both Thailand and America.  I live far better in Thailand. 

Why should you constantly post misleading negative information about Thailand?  Give it a rest.  Enjoy America.  I'll enjoy Thailand.  My children keep me posted about prices and every year.  Housing prices are not touch and go.  I built a new house in Thailand (not in Issan and not out of tin) with a bank loan here and it's almost paid for at much less than I could have in the States.  You don't have to insult me (tin shack, fly infested markets) by bragging about your financial wherewithal, "But I certainly don't do it because it's some low cost paradise!."

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh really?  For most countries in South East Asia do you have a right to bring your spouse to live in your country?   This is a Thai forum and Thailand was in South East Asia last time I looked. 

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

So why make inaccurate comparisons?  Housing in Thailand is half that of America - that's a fact Jack.  You asked, " I'm always puzzled by those that seem to slam anyone that actually leaves." And I told you.  The people who leave consistently making negative comparisons for years trying to get others to leave.  Like you did above, "not buying food from from some fly infested market."  The biggest single expense in any budget is housing and that is a fraction in Thailand of what you pay in America. 

I have a nice life in Thailand without any fly infested markets but if they kick me out I'd be messed up having to pay the housing prices in America.  My point was I have realistic information about cost of living for me in both Thailand and America.  I live far better in Thailand. 

Why should you constantly post misleading negative information about Thailand?  Give it a rest.  Enjoy America.  I'll enjoy Thailand.  My children keep me posted about prices and every year.  Housing prices are not touch and go.  I built a new house in Thailand with a bank loan here and it's almost paid for at much less than I could have in the States.  You don't have to insult me by bragging about your financial wherewithal, "But I certainly don't do it because it's some low cost paradise!."

Unlike you I have the luxury of being able to enjoy both.

Each have their pluses and minuses, but I'm realistic to be able to accept those upsides and downsides of both.

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Each have their pluses and minuses, but I'm realistic to be able to accept those upsides and downsides of both.

Never seen you post any downside about america, instead, you always choose to come on here to put Thailand, and us expats that enjoy living here, down, every time.

Sounds like your partner has forgotten her roots too, and according to you, and has nothing good to say about her birth country. Not typically a Thai trait, which about sums the whole thing up.

1 minute ago, Thaiwrath said:

Never seen you post any downside about america, instead, you always choose to come on here to put Thailand, and us expats that enjoy living here, down, every time.

Sounds like your partner has forgotten her roots too, and according to you, and has nothing good to say about her birth country. Not typically a Thai trait, which about sums the whole thing up.

I'm fine if people like to live in Thailand full time.

What I do object to is when the apologists seem to find anyone that tries to in anyway criticise or even post any objective comparisons gets slammed.

Don't get me wrong. We love the time that we spend at our home in Thailand, but thats why I think I have a pretty decent perspective on the relative costs and lifestyle.

And as for my wife, she has a very realistic view of Thailand and its culture, a lot more realistic than many TVF keyboard warriors 

19 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Insulting me again, "Unlike you I have the luxury of being able to enjoy both."  You are not realistic.  Housing in Thailand is much cheaper than America both in construction and maintenance.  Labor in Florida, minimum wage is close to $9 dollars an hour in Thailand it is a $1 an hour.  Labor cost makes construction and maintenance much less expensive.  I have VA health care so health care is the same for me in Thailand and America.  Food is better in America.  Restaurants are better in America.  Women smell better in Thailand because they shower more and don't wear pantyhose.  Then there is appearance.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_body_mass_index

If you can accept the statistics of the quoted body mass index and the pantyhose good for you.  I'm being realistic when I say I don't like it and it spoils my meal when eating out in America even though the food is better. 

So, back to your original question.  I don't care that anyone leaves but stop insulting me for staying in Thailand and if you feel driven by some unknown obsession to tell those of us who have escaped America about what we are missing at least be accurate. 

How many years ago did you leave?  When is enough enough?  How many years of posting how good you have it and how poor and unhappy we are? 

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Insulting me again, "Unlike you I have the luxury of being able to enjoy both."  You are not realistic.  Housing in Thailand is much cheaper than America both in construction and maintenance.  Labor in Florida, minimum wage is close to $9 dollars an hour in Thailand it is a $1 an hour.  Labor cost makes construction and maintenance much less expensive.  I have VA health care so health care is the same for me in Thailand and America.  Food is better in America.  Restaurants are better in America.  Women smell better in Thailand because they shower more and don't wear pantyhose.  Then there is appearance.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_body_mass_index

If you can accept the statistics of the quoted body mass index and the pantyhose good for you.  I'm being realistic when I say I don't like it and it spoils my meal when eating out in America even though the food is better. 

So, back to your original question.  I don't care that anyone leaves but stop insulting me for staying in Thailand and if you feel driven by some unknown obsession to tell those of us who have escaped America about what we are missing at least be accurate. 

How many years ago did you leave?  When is enough enough?  How many years of posting how good you have it and how poor and unhappy we are? 

You seem to be blind to the fact that, no matter I many times I tell you, I still live in Thailand for part of the year.

We have a house in Khon Kaen, my wife has family there, we go there every year

I seem to tweak your buttons for whatever reason!

55 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You seem to be blind to the fact that, no matter I many times I tell you, I still live in Thailand for part of the year.

We have a house in Khon Kaen, my wife has family there, we go there every year

I seem to tweak your buttons for whatever reason!

You keep insulting me.  I don't know why.  How many years ago did you stop living in Thailand?  Why do you feel it necessary to tell me that I shop in fly infested markets and live in a tin shack in Issan?  I don't.  Why do you feel it necessary to tell me the cost of living in America is the same as Thailand?  It's not.  Why do you brag that you have the funds to live in both Thailand and America and I don't? 

If you remember you started the exchange by asking why expats living in Thailand felt it necessary to berate people who have left?  They don't.  Why would I care that you live in America?  I don't.  Up to you.  

I suggest you stop denigrating my lifestyle and mind your own knitting. 

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You keep insulting me.  I don't know why.  How many years ago did you stop living in Thailand?  Why do you feel it necessary to tell me that I shop in fly infested markets and live in a tin shack in Issan?  I don't.  Why do you feel it necessary to tell me the cost of living in America is the same as Thailand?  It's not.  Why do you brag that you have the funds to live in both Thailand and America and I don't? 

If you remember you started the exchange by asking why expats living in Thailand felt it necessary to berate people who have left?  They don't.  Why would I care that you live in America?  I don't.  Up to you.  

I suggest you stop denigrating my lifestyle and mind your own knitting. 

I'm not deigratinating your lifestyle in the least. 

What you seem to resent is any criticism of Thailand.

I've told you many times, I like both, in their different ways, but I'm honest enough to accept the failings of both lifestyles.

We just choose to mix n match both

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I like both, in their different ways, but I'm honest enough to accept the failings of both lifestyles

Enjoying to civil "discussion" between GinBoy and marcusarelus...    yet admit am on team marcus with this.

I honestly look for positives- not failings.  All societies have both, just depends on how you look at life - not always about what things cost. 

As I am on a fixed income and retired,  so situation much different than yours (but posting anyway - 555)   

6 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Enjoying to civil "discussion" between GinBoy and marcusarelus...    yet admit am on team marcus with this.

I honestly look for positives- not failings.  All societies have both, just depends on how you look at life - not always about what things cost. 

As I am on a fixed income and retired,  so situation much different than yours (but posting anyway - 555)   

Depends what you what.

My wife can enjoy a decent career in the US, which makes her happy, and if Momma's happy, we're all happy

I'm not going to go into the comparative cost thing thing, since that is pointless and subjective.

I'm just happy snowbirding to Thailand in the winter, and returning to the US in the Spring. 

27 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm not deigratinating your lifestyle in the least. 

What you seem to resent is any criticism of Thailand.

I've told you many times, I like both, in their different ways, but I'm honest enough to accept the failings of both lifestyles.

We just choose to mix n match both

You wrote, " Unlike you I have the luxury of being able to enjoy both."  I interpreted that as bragging and denigrating my lifestyle.  I criticize Thailand all the time.  When the government outlawed nude dancing in Bangkok I almost left the country. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You wrote, " Unlike you I have the luxury of being able to enjoy both."  I interpreted that as bragging and denigrating my lifestyle.  I criticize Thailand all the time.  When the government outlawed nude dancing in Bangkok I almost left the country. 

Are you drunk? That makes no sense

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I built a new house in Thailand (not in Issan and not out of tin) with a bank loan here and it's almost paid for at much less than I could have in the States.  

Hahaha, you built a house in Thailand which you don't have any legal right to and on another post you are comparing the labor costs in Thailand vs America. If Thais were charging you 50 satang a day it would still be a bad value for money as you own nothing, lolz. House not in Isaan? Where is it? Chiang Mai? Great pick! Don't forget a gas mask with your swimming pool.

No wonder people like you are so defensive. It seems like you're stuck here and any honest comparison or reasoning will be ignored or outright bashed....as it happens a lot every time someone mentions something against precious Thailand.

Newsflash. People are allowed to change their mind and see things from another point of view and there is nothing you can do about it. 

Thailand - a bad value for money. Period.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Well I would say we both share very similar feelings about Thailand.

She never really wanted to move back to Thailand from Singapore, that was my choice.

So 10 years on, she was right and I was wrong.

Didn't dislike my time in Thailand, but probably with hindsight, we should have just moved from Singapore to the US.

Our son hated Thailand, schooling was awful compared to what he had in Singapore, and it definitely made his time at college in the US harder.

So now, it's a good winter vacation spot, but not to live

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well it's all a balance.

We decided for us at least, living full time in Thailand had run it's course.

Still go back for a few months a year, generally to escape the winter, and that works for us

Maybe that doesn't work others, but I'm always puzzled by those that seem to slam anyone that actually leaves.

Always makes me think they harbor secret doubts!

Well there are those of us who can maybe calibrate their time spent in Thailand, but the interesting narrative is those for the guys who for one reason or another are committed to a single place. They are either all-in or all-out. Now there are a lot of those guys who have spent a lot of years in Thailand and they have experienced/enjoyed till recent times relatively cheap and uncomplicated living. And border runs were the norm. There is a sense that some have had enough of the squeeze even though it may be navigable. 

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Hahaha, you built a house in Thailand which you don't have any legal right to and on another post you are comparing the labor costs in Thailand vs America. If Thais were charging you 50 satang a day it would still be a bad value for money as you own nothing, lolz. House not in Isaan? Where is it? Chiang Mai? Great pick! Don't forget a gas mask with your swimming pool.

No wonder people like you are so defensive. It seems like you're stuck here and any honest comparison or reasoning will be ignored or outright bashed....as it happens a lot every time someone mentions something against precious Thailand.

Newsflash. People are allowed to change their mind and see things from another point of view and there is nothing you can do about it. 

Thailand - a bad value for money. Period.

I live close to the ocean not near Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  My wife borrowed the money to buy the land and build a house.  I'm not defensive towards anything.  Minimum wage in Florida is close to $9 and in Thailand it is $1 dollar.  Another poster wrote, "Unlike you I have the luxury of being able to enjoy both."  I found that offensive.  He doesn't know me.  My wife is an engineer and works for Samsung.  Samsung hires thousands of Thai workers because they are good workers and cheaper than many other countries.  I have worked with Thai people for 20 years and also worked with the Thai army in the 1960's - I think they are a good value.  Doctors in Thailand have saved my live twice.  I'm not defensive but I think you are not very knowledgeable.   

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I live close to the ocean not near Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  My wife borrowed the money to buy the land and build a house.  I'm not defensive towards anything.  Minimum wage in Florida is close to $9 and in Thailand it is $1 dollar.  Another poster wrote, "Unlike you I have the luxury of being able to enjoy both."  I found that offensive.  He doesn't know me.  My wife is an engineer and works for Samsung.  Samsung hires thousands of Thai workers because they are good workers and cheaper than many other countries.  I have worked with Thai people for 20 years and also worked with the Thai army in the 1960's - I think they are a good value.  Doctors in Thailand have saved my live twice.  I'm not defensive but I think you are not very knowledgeable.   

I think you will see Thailand lose some of its manufacturing industry to countries offering cheaper labor, and favorable tax breaks, in the future.

You are correct, there was once a time when Thailand was favorable for manufacturing, but this is now on the decline, for several reasons.

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think you will see Thailand lose some of its manufacturing industry to countries offering cheaper labor, and favorable tax breaks, in the future.

You are correct, there was once a time when Thailand was favorable for manufacturing, but this is now on the decline, for several reasons.

GDP From Manufacturing in Thailand increased to 741222 THB Million in the fourth quarter of 2018 from 728606 THB Million in the third quarter of 2018. GDP From Manufacturing in Thailand averaged 509589.20 THB Million from 1993 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 741222 THB Million in the fourth quarter of 2018 and a record low of 269359 THB Million in the first quarter of 1993.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp-from-manufacturing

Do you ever get the facts before you post? 

• 2 weeks later...

You could have cut the story short and ONLY brag about your money like in the first two lines.

I am pretty sure you told this in your favorite pub and didn't get the shoulder petting and people didn't look up to you?

Try what I did:

Buy a Luxury car and put a sticker on saying: 'Your poorness is pissing me off'

or buy a bar in walking street and hang a sign outside 'closed because of wealth'.

OOPS! Did I brag now?  

4 minutes ago, See Will said:

You could have cut the story short and ONLY brag about your money like in the first two lines.

I am pretty sure you told this in your favorite pub and didn't get the shoulder petting and people didn't look up to you?

Try what I did:

Buy a Luxury car and put a sticker on saying: 'Your poorness is pissing me off'

or buy a bar in walking street and hang a sign outside 'closed because of wealth'.

OOPS! Did I brag now?  

Ok, a few things.

First of all I am kinda proud of myself because I am a middle aged man and only a few years ago I was pretty hopeless to be honest. I humble bragged a bit, sure.

I don't go to pubs and I don't chase women. I guess this is one of the reasons why I saved money. In all honesty I don't think a mere half a million would be such a big deal to many as I was always under the impression that pensioners who come to Thailand have a lot more that that, or at the very least they must have very decent company pensions (which I will never have). I mean old guys must be doing pretty well to be able to pay allowance and rentals every month, no? So, what u be trippin' about?

On 3/27/2019 at 6:44 AM, marcusarelus said:

The biggest single expense in any budget is housing and that is a fraction in Thailand of what you pay in America. 

Rent per square foot in Bangkok (for comparable housing)  is the same as in major Western European cities. (The top cities like London and Paris are way more expensive)

Cities in Eastern and Central Europe are cheaper than Bangkok.

Buying is cheaper in Bangkok (but you cannot buy land)

Archived