Jump to content
BANGKOK 20 May 2019 04:01
snoop1130

Dubious results expose EC to glare of public scrutiny

Recommended Posts

Dubious results expose EC to glare of public scrutiny

By The Nation

 

1e695cf0a3d1bc66fd746790fc200cd8.jpeg

 

The integrity of the Election Commission (EC) has come under question, as people are asking if the vote tally has been free and fair.

 

It is also being roasted for the confusing and contradicting results released through its Rapid Report system on Sunday night. 

 

The vote tally showing the pro-junta Phalang Pracharat beating former coalition leader Pheu Thai has raised many eyebrows, and made people raise queries over issues such as the mysterious surplus votes that far exceeded the turnout in many constituencies and the 2 million “spoiled” votes.

 

People were further frustrated by the agency’s decision to postpone the announcement of the initial poll results to Monday, backtracking on its earlier promise to complete 95 per cent of vote counting by Sunday evening. 

 

The public was also not amused when EC president Ittiporn Boonpracong said he could not tell how many voters had turned up because he did not have a “calculator” at his disposal at the time. 

 

The hashtags trending on Twitter with over 1.4 million tweets were “EC Busted” and “Election Fraud 2019”.

 

Some 400,000 signatures were also collected for a change.orgpetition to have the election commissioners removed for failing to hold a free and fair election. 

 

Meanwhile, the EC puts all this criticism down to misunderstanding, claiming that there were human errors in the unofficial poll results issued via its Rapid Report system. 

 

As for areas where the turnout and tally did not add up, the EC secretary-general Jarungvith Phumma blamed it on officials entering incorrect numbers in the system. 

 

He said official reports from all constituencies will be handed over to the EC on Tuesday and the data will be made available by Friday, though official results will only be released within May 9.

 

As for media speculation on the number of seats won by each party, Jarungvith warned that these figures might not match the reality. 

 

He said seat allocations could not be finalised until the EC has cleared all irregularities and complaints, and held by-elections where necessary. 

 

“The party-list MPs can change all the time until then,” Jarungvith said.

 

As for the ballots from advance voting in New Zealand, which missed yesterday’s counting, Jarungvith said EC has yet to make a decision on this matter. The ballots were delivered to the EC on Monday.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366513

 

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-25

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My oh My what the junta has done with the EC up their rear end muscle. How can anyone trust this dishonestly is beyond stupidity. To up rise is better than to cower. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

president Ittiporn Boonpracong said he could not tell how many voters had turned up because he did not have a “calculator” at his disposal at the time. 

this type of attitude and the body language tells everything... fair and square my a...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Establishment Commission is being criticized?  they should complaint to Prayut about it.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC reported a 64% turnout, I was under the impression that Thai HAD to vote unless they had a good reason not to so where are the other 36% (?) of votes?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

The Establishment Commission is being criticized?  they should complaint to Prayut about it.  

you want to get shot 555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BobbyL said:

It is just embarrassing.  

  not for them

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...