Dubious results expose EC to glare of public scrutiny

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...THE INTEGRITY of the Election Commission (EC) has come into question with people asking if the vote tally has been free and fair..."

Yes, it seems that many people are asking if it was 'Free and Fair'...

Countries, societies, polities don't fare well when citizens do not believe official bodies regarding elections.

Personally, I think it might be time for expats to stock up on groceries and keep one's head down for a bit...

great advice....keep it low ball for a while, wait and see

As a Person who has observed Thailand for more than 25 years, I can't help but wonder if Thailand will ever produce a Government who serves the people. 

Thailand is one of the luckiest countries in Asia. It emerged from WW2 unscathed even having declared war on the Allied powers in Alliance with Japan; and was the sight of horrific war crimes. It emerged from WW2 only paying a small amount of war reparations with "NO CHANGE" to its Authoritarian regime.

Post WW2, Western Powers, "Drunk on Communism" rejected the sane advice of people like "Jim Thompson" (a former OSS Officer) who believed in Democracy as a way forward for Indochina; and instead not only found it easier to work with Thailands Authoritarian regime; it's Clandestine Services helped form a ParaMilitary Police to supplement the Thai Army to fight a "Mythical Communist Insurgency" that only  put power with Authoritarian Politicians who capitalized on the "Mythical Communist Insurgency" to gain power.

In the last Thirty Years, It's government's has been self-serving and plagued with Corruption with the Corruption getting larger and larger; and the scams becoming more bold.  

It is good that the younger generation of Thai's are more cosmopolitan and want a Democratic future for Thailand; and are moving past the "Slave Mentality" that many of the Older Thai's still have (Slavery in Thailand was only abolished in Thailand a little over 100 years ago). However, it is really probably going to take another couple of Generations of Thai's before Thailand gets it act together; and lives up to its potential of having a Government that actually serves the people. Sad.

2 hours ago, exparte said:

Slavery in Thailand was only abolished in Thailand a little over 100 years ago)

sorry to disagree, it still exist, I see it everyday, the way the so-called high class/blue collar treats the less fortunate ones... the old generation of Thais still bend over/submission to the blue collar and please don't tell me it has to do with respect because it has absolutely nothing to do with respect

Archived