can one house have two internet services?

pete66

We have a 5-storey townhouse, with a shop on the ground floor. The Internet currently comes into the ground floor. So the router is there. And my wife wants to keep it there ????

I want to set up the top floor to be a home office. But I need fast, low latency Internet coming in for work, gaming, etc. I don't want wi-fi, or repeaters, or any of that mullarkey, coming up from the ground floor.

So, is it possible to have a fiber package installed that goes straight to the 5th floor? If it makes any difference, the current system isn't fiber, just regular copper wire, although we have been told fiber is available at our location.

So could keep we keep the current Internet package for the ground floor, and have fiber installed as a completely separate package? (Whether with same ISP or different).

Essentially, what I'm asking is whether a single house can have more than one Internet service....

Thanks,

had it done 6 months ago, one line/service with True on the 1st floor and another line/service on the 3rd floor, completely separated/independent... had to run extra cable

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

had it done 6 months ago, one line/service with True on the 1st floor and another line/service on the 3rd floor, completely separated/independent... had to run extra cable

but both with True, is that right?

Just now, pete66 said:

but both with True, is that right?

Started with True but 3 months later switched to 3BB lower fees but all started with True, my friend lives next door has 2 lines/service on the same floor, they use a cable that can carry a couple lines, I had to run an extra one because the old cable had been damaged by the rodents

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

Started with True but 3 months later switched to 3BB lower fees but all started with True, my friend lives next door has 2 lines/service on the same floor, they use a cable that can carry a couple lines, I had to run an extra one because the old cable had been damaged by the rodents

Thanks so much, that's all I needed to know. I like 3BB better as well ????

A couple of posters have claimed that theu have two or more providers to their home and just use it for backup/availability.

Some even have a kind of load distribution/balancing hardware to get the most out of it.

Regarding 2 different providers:  We have 3bb Fiber and AIS Fibre in our home.  I use one, my wife uses the other.

Regarding the 5th floor:  I think most providers spell out in there conditions how many meters of wiring they will install for free.  Anything further they charge for.

5 minutes ago, hml367 said:

Regarding 2 different providers:  We have 3bb Fiber and AIS Fibre in our home.  I use one, my wife uses the other.

Regarding the 5th floor:  I think most providers spell out in there conditions how many meters of wiring they will install for free.  Anything further they charge for.

correct.... been there done that and paid for 25 meters of cable because the rats had a feast

Yes, assuming the ISP has service to the curb.

We have three providers (3BB, True and AIS) in one house, all fiber. Some others have two different providers.

Height issues pertain to cost, primarily. Five floors is not an issue. Running fiber 10, 20, 30 floors becomes expensive, so existing copper is used (VDSL) up to the high floors, from fiber in the basement.

I have no experience with two separate installations from the same provider but cannot see any issue there.

Why not just upgrade the existing ISP to fibre and use a pair of gigabyte powerline adapters to connect to the 5th floor. We live in a 4 storey shophouse, TOT fibre comes in on the 2nd floor and I use powerline adapters to give connections on the 3rd floor and 4th floor. Works well for me.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, Satcommlee said:

I read some small print somewhere about there being a limitation on how high they would go.. not really useful info as I forget the ISP and I forget the height limit...

I'm sure the OP will find that helpful !

My landlord has True fiber 30/5, probably the cheapest package but adequate. He ran an Ethernet cable outside the building to my room. I put a router configured as wired repeater in my room. It has its own SSID and password, it’s own WiFi. He gives it to me free, it’s usually fine. 

Google AV600 Powerline Starter Kit. I'd post a link but TV might not approve. It feeds your internet connection throughout the building by plugging little boxes into the normal electric socket. Run a cable from your router rather than use the less reliable wifi and you're all set. Works a treat for me.

Also, as others have said, there is nothing to stop you having more than one internet provider, as long as they service your area. But the above would avoid having to pay two fees for two providers.

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

av600.jpg.2982d0d5ae05b1f40b7f2810ee9218e9.jpg

Right, there are two Powerline boxes (two is the minimum) but each of them has a three-pin plug, right?  The house/condo has to be wired for three-point outlets.  The number of Powerline boxes (after two) is irrelevant. If you've got six rooms in the home you could have six Powerline boxes, but all the outlets have to be three-pin outlets.  Powerline technology (as I understand it) relies on the third pin

14 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Right, there are two Powerline boxes (two is the minimum) but each of them has a three-pin plug, right?  The house/condo has to be wired for three-point outlets.  The number of Powerline boxes (after two) is irrelevant. If you've got six rooms in the home you could have six Powerline boxes, but all the outlets have to be three-pin outlets.  Powerline technology (as I understand it) relies on the third pin

As I wrote above, the Powerline boxes you plug in are 2-pin. So no, the technology doesn't need a third pin. What I have works great.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I use 3-point but the boxes you plug in are 2-point.

If you want the fastest connection possible you need to the 3 point variety, MIMO uses the ground pin. I have a pair of ZyXEL connecting to my media box on the 4th floor - 3 pin.

IMG_20181207_135701.jpg

On 3/27/2019 at 12:11 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Over five floors?

Need to be careful with the powerline adapters as well connecting over 5 floors.

Make sure the power sockets are on the same circuit between router and endpoint.

Archived