can one house have two internet services?

pete66

On 3/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, PoorSucker said:

Sure, max recommended length is 100m for cat6

If you can not assemble the connectors yourself, Lazada has 40m for around 600 baht. 

Add a smart switch to the fifth floor end and you can run a NAS, network a printer, extra ports for a second LAN connected confuser, whatever................

On 3/26/2019 at 4:23 PM, Stocky said:

Why not just upgrade the existing ISP to fibre and use a pair of gigabyte powerline adapters to connect to the 5th floor. We live in a 4 storey shophouse, TOT fibre comes in on the 2nd floor and I use powerline adapters to give connections on the 3rd floor and 4th floor. Works well for me.

Interesting. I assume the two adapters are on the same breaker wiring?

If so it seems strange that one breaker circuit would serve outlets on separate floors. That said, I understand that the electricians here are very avante garde. 

I investigated them last year and the fine print says the signals don't cross well in the breaker box. 

If on the same circuit and a short run up the wall it's seems plausible. 

On 3/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, PoorSucker said:

I would just run a ethernet cable down on the outside. 

That's what I would do, in a conduit of course. The weather would make short work of the cable otherwise????

But penetrating walls could make other approaches more attractive. 

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Interesting. I assume the two adapters are on the same breaker wiring?

Nope, the connection runs through the junction box, but it works. I run two networks a pair of Zyxel PLA5456 AV2 1800 Mbps adapters that connect to my mediabox on the 4th floor, downgraded as the connection no doubt is passing via the junction box on the ground floor before finding its way up to the top I can happily get 40 - 70Mbs to the UK plenty enough to run the iPlayer in HD mode. The 2nd network connects an android box and the kid's computer plus a spare WiFi booster and that runs using 4x TP Link AV500 they're just the standard 2pin adapters and will give about half the speed of the Zyxel adapters. They run through the junction box too. It all works like magic!

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Nope, the connection runs through the junction box, but it works. I run two networks a pair of Zyxel PLA5456 AV2 1800 Mbps adapters that connect to my mediabox on the 4th floor, downgraded as the connection no doubt is passing via the junction box on the ground floor before finding its way up to the top I can happily get 40 - 70Mbs to the UK plenty enough to run the iPlayer in HD mode. The 2nd network connects an android box and the kid's computer plus a spare WiFi booster and that runs using 4x TP Link AV500 they're just the standard 2pin adapters and will give about half the speed of the Zyxel adapters. They run through the junction box too. It all works like magic!

Ok. Thanks for the report. 

I've been dubious about them. 

Three useful things you told me. 

1. the adapters work across circuits even though going a reasonable distance. 

2. The adapters do degrade throughput but still perform  at useful rates. 

3. The 3 pin adapters provided by Zytel probably increase throughput. This seems likely to me as the ground pin is common to all circuits and is a solid connect between all circuits at the breaker box. 

Thanks, I'll put this info in my toolbox for use if I need it. 

Useful details for other TVF readers as well. I like this kind of response. 

33 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

The 3 pin adapters

The ground pin allows support for MIMO - multiple input/multiple output, with 2 pin you can only have single input/single output - so yes, MIMO allows higher throughput using the 3rd pin.

Archived