Can i mix different chicken breed in a enclose place ?

Hi, i just get some legorn, red rhodes island red, Phymounth barred and light sussex chicks. Do you think i can keep all of them in the same close area ? Why don't you recommend it please ? Should i vaccin them ? Which vaccin should i buy ?

Thanks a bunch !

Mixing different breeds is not a big problem...they will generally establish a pecking order after a couple of days...if you have more than 1 rooster...you need to make sure the boss rooster does not keep the others from feeding and drinking "clean" water...

Cleanliness is important...especially the water...chickens are notorious for dirtying their water...cleaning the pen of poop on a regular basis is necessary...protecting stored food from rats, mice and snakes will need to be considered.

Varmints are problematic...from the air and on the ground...digging under chicken fences is common. 

Recommend a chicken wire run where chickens can run around in an enclosure during the day and lock them in a hen house roost at night.

Thais turn them loose to fend for themselves...works for them.

One other thought...chickens require grit to help breakdown their foods for digestion...most of the time your soil will do the trick.

Recommend locating a farm supply store and ask about disease protection for chicks in Thailand...  

Good luck!   ????

From what I remember, keeping them together shouldn't be a problem, but, if you have cocks (also known as roosters), they will interbreed. If it were me, I'd keep them separated by breed based on the above, which might require a number of different chicken coops.

On the other hand, if you don't care about the breeds, just the eggs and meat, then let them live together. 

If I remember correctly from some of your previous posts, you live in Isan, right? May I ask where you got your chickens? I too want to keep a few of the chickens you have one day, so I'm looking for contacts / sellers. 

2 hours ago, djayz said:

From what I remember, keeping them together shouldn't be a problem, but, if you have cocks (also known as roosters), they will interbreed. If it were me, I'd keep them separated by breed based on the above, which might require a number of different chicken coops.

On the other hand, if you don't care about the breeds, just the eggs and meat, then let them live together. 

If I remember correctly from some of your previous posts, you live in Isan, right? May I ask where you got your chickens? I too want to keep a few of the chickens you have one day, so I'm looking for contacts / sellers. 

My uncle gave to me, he lives at Chaiyaphum, if you are interested by some breed i can ask him...

Archived