New retirement visa and new bank account

Hi all

My friend comes to Thailand in April for a month and then returns here in October to retire. 

What is the best plan of action for setting up a new bank account then seeding (monthly65k) during the months up to October then to apply for a retirement visa. 

Your help and thoughts/advice appreciated. 

Thank you. 

When he applies for an extension based on retirement (not a Visa) depends on the Visa he's able to attain beforehand.

Age and nationality would help.

Personally I'd recommend he starts by opening a Savings account with Bangkok Bank.

He's british.

51 years old.

Part pension(personal) part rental income. 

Bangkok bank = transfer wise. 

What visa would you suggest he comes in on in April/or indeed October. Will that influence opening his bangkok bank account. 

He can go to the Thai embassy London. 

Martin. 

Bangkok Bank opening an account.

2. If you hold a tourist visa or non - immigrant (long-stay) visa Long-stay foreigners including all Non-Immigrant visas (B, ED, EX, F, IB, IM,M, O,  O-A, R, RS, D, F, and SE) and Diplomatic Officer Courtesy, but excluding MT, S and LA. Tourists include the following visa types: Tourist, Transit, Visa on Arrival, Exemption Visa, Non-Immigrant MT and S.

1. Passport

2. ONE of the following documents:

2.1 A letter of recommendation from an embassy, international organization,   your home bank (sent via SWIFT), a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank   (such as a BBL staff member or customer, government officer or company    executive), or from a national institution of your home country (such as    pension fund);

2.2 Another document showing your name and address such as document  showing ownership of a fixed asset, or condominium sale/purchase  agreement

https://www.bangkokbank.com/-/media/Files/Personal/Other-Services/Branch-Services/International-Branches/ExpatBooklet_Jan2017.ashx?la=en&hash=15587776FB3E6C04F9DE10BC2742AFE153E20D44

It would help if he brought some proof of his UK address.

He'll need proof of residence in Thailand (not a hotel). Landlords Tabien Baan and ID card, or they may insist on a Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

If using TW, he needs to ensure the monthly payments are coded as overseas with BKK for Immigration purposes.

We now know these payments can be 'tagged' to ensure that.

For his April visit either Visa exempt entry, 30 days, can be extended another 30 days.

A Tourist Visa, 60 days, can be extended another 30 days.

In October I'd advise he obtains a Tourist Visa (Non Imm O not available for his age group).

He'll then have to convert his TV and obtain a Non Imm O stamp at Immigration, before applying for an extension based on retirement.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

From April 1st, 2019 the Thai Embassy London will only accept postal applications.

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Get an OA visa in his home country - good for 2 years.  After than he can set up a bank account no problem. 

Apart from the Medical and Police check, he'd need to show financials of 6 months income equal to 65K per month, or 800K equivalent deposited in a bank for 3 months.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Apart from the Medical and Police check, he'd need to show financials of 6 months income equal to 65K per month, or 800K equivalent deposited in a bank for 3 months.

Sorry Tanoshi but I disagree with you about the 65k for 6 months, where did you get that from? The UK sight only says 

Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthl y income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £20,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

Thanks

The O-A is still the best way to go if starting from scratch. If you cannot show the financials for an O-A in your country you won't have much luck switching to retirement based extensions of stay once in the country.

I did my O-A in Los Angeles for a grand total of $381 US. For that money a had a few days short of 2 years permission to stay. I had to file 90 reports and exit the country one time and reenter before the expiration date.

Everything else like bank accounts and drivers license fell right into place with an O-A.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimn said:

Sorry Tanoshi but I disagree with you about the 65k for 6 months, where did you get that from? The UK sight only says 

Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthl y income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £20,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

Thanks

Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the past 3 months showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht (approximately £20,000.00) or an income certificate for the past 6 months with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht (approximately £1,625.00), or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#7

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

Would it not be easier for the OP’s friend to obtain a non O Visa from London, he’s over 50yrs, and unlike the non OA he would not require police checks, or the medical and would only have to show either a receipt of pension, or £10,000 in a bank account as opposed to the much higher amount for the OA. 

If it is correct that he can do a border run every 90 days until the expiry of this type of Visa then what is the greater benefit of the non OA Visa other than not having to do a border run, bearing in mind all the extra qualifying requirements?  

9 minutes ago, Chiller said:

Would it not be easier for the OP’s friend to obtain a non O Visa from London, he’s over 50yrs, and unlike the non OA he would not require police checks, or the medical and would only have to show either a receipt of pension, or £10,000 in a bank account as opposed to the much higher amount for the OA. 

If it is correct that he can do a border run every 90 days until the expiry of this type of Visa then what is the greater benefit of the non OA Visa other than not having to do a border run, bearing in mind all the extra qualifying requirements?  

An O visa based on retirement is only available to those in receipt of a state old age pension. 

9 hours ago, KarlS said:

An O visa based on retirement is only available to those in receipt of a state old age pension. 

To be honest that is what I thought until I read this in the London Embassy Website. 

• For pensioner (aged 50 or over) : A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000 

So two things, 1) It states (OR at least £10,000 in a bank) and 2) They must know that people in the UK do not qualify for a state pension at the age of 50 years? 

Further to the above, note it also states IF the applicant is a pensioner. 

so, still ambiguous. Many people retire and get income from other sources. In the UK, the earliest you can start receiving a pension is 55, some exceptions for people wangled pensions on the sick

12 hours ago, KarlS said:

Really? I gained mine based on rental income - a copy of the lease and a bank statement showing rent coming in equivalent to what's in the lease

Edited by ThaiBunny

12 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Really? I gained mine based on rental income - a copy of the lease and a bank statement showing rent coming in equivalent to what's in the lease

Really?  http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html  

"O"   To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

6 minutes ago, KarlS said:

Really?  http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html  

"O"   To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

People generally quote a "retirement" visa as an OA not an O; that's the first time I've seen O described as "for state pensioners".  I notice the Netherlands also says an "O" rather than an "OA" for "pensioners" who are actually described as "retirement / early retirement" but their visa note for that source says 90 days not 12 months.  Mine's definitely OA and OA appears on a separate line under the one you have quoted on the London site

Edited by ThaiBunny

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

People generally quote a "retirement" visa as an OA not an O; that's the first time I've seen O described as "for state pensioners".  I notice the Netherlands also says an "O" rather than an "OA" for "pensioners" who are actually described as "retirement / early retirement" but their visa note for that source says 90 days not 12 months.  Mine's definitely OA and OA appears on a separate line under the one you have quoted on the London site

Had you read the thread you would have noted my original comment related to someone stating an "O" visa could be obtained for 'retirement'

They stopped issuing the Non O Visa for being over 50 back in late 2014.

They will now only issue it to those in receipt of the state pension 65+, or to visit Thai wife, children.

Like many Embassy websites, they don't update the information to clarify changes.

Only the O-A is available for being 50 or above.

Edited by Tanoshi

On 3/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, sefty said:

Most helpful.

Thank you everyone. 

Once your friend has succeeded in opening a savings account with Bangkok Bank he might then wish to consider enrolling for their London branch transfer facility, as described in the following link:-

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

While TransferWise may have indicated a willingness to align agency and beneficiary banks in Thailand in the case of Bangkok Bank at least, I personally remain to be convinced that the coveted FTT coding will, in practice, still be guaranteed for each and every transfer. That is the reason why I myself have reverted to using this facility for my 65k+ monthly transfers from the UK after 18 months of using TransferWise instead.

Edited by OJAS