savannakhet consulate chaos

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks for the report so can you just show 20k in cash or they after a bank statement? 

I applied one month ago with all the paperwork, bank statement; cash NOT accepted.

Air ticket available if required.

The bank statement is mandatory and advisable to have an outbound air ticket,

They count tourists visa already issued in the area,now after three in a row it may be a refusal.I was advised if i required a fourth i would need to provide some documents to support my current medical tourism.

Savannakhet would be a nice second option for those who can get there on their own, but the visa run companies are carting people over there now at least twice a week which will likely speed up that consulate being also harder to fetch a visa from. It's a shame. With bank statement, that consulate was one of the easiest places to get a visa, just a little harder to get to. The visa run companies actually make it harder for people who go to get their own visas. 

Edited by Essecola
  • Like 1

Savannakhet has been wanting to see a bank statement showing at least the equivalent of 20k baht in a bank account for a long time.

I suspect then number of people showing up there without one tried to get an appointment for Vientiane where is not required but could not get one or showed up without one.

A visa run company that goes there has this on their website.

"Tourist Visa if show own Book Bank with balance THB 20,000.- up OR Bank Statement from home country value USD 700.-up & confirmed onward air ticket within 60 days upon entry."

As said best to avoid Mondays at any embassy or consulate on a Monday.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

It would be great to see another booth open for tourist visas.

Yes... it took the people with marriage visas about 1min to apply but had to wait for each person who wanted a tourist visa to piss and moan for 5.mins each.

1 hour ago, crickets said:

Yes... it took the people with marriage visas about 1min to apply but had to wait for each person who wanted a tourist visa to piss and moan for 5.mins each.

I bet that if they ever introduce a requirement to show financials for a Non O visa, you will see those applicants "piss and moan", too. Some (many) people just don't follow the news / check current requirements.

12 hours ago, TyGrr said:

To get a tourist visa one needs a bank statement now? I can't see this helping tourism.

All consulates in the region require this - except Vientiane.  Hopefully, as they have reduced the number of applicants, they will now have time to check the money and flight-out for everyone, which would reduce the demand for applying there.

55 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I bet that if they ever introduce a requirement to show financials for a Non O visa, you will see those applicants "piss and moan", too. Some (many) people just don't follow the news / check current requirements.

For Non-O based on retirement, they are required - just not for based on marriage (single or multiple entry) or a Thai child (single-entry only). 

Per a report from Penang, financials from one's embassy in KL are accepted to show income.  It would be a pain to have to go to Vientiane first, to get an embassy-letter to prove our incomes, given the bus-trip from Vientiane to Savannakhet is about 9 hrs (much better transport by electric-trains is available in Malaysia). 

Most would probably use HCMC, and get a letter from our consulate there, if/when they require financials in the future in HCMC (not needed now).

Edited by JackThompson