Goats?

SteveK

My wife wants to get a goat or two to keep the gardens under control.

Does anyone know of anywhere to get hold of one, preferably a young one, in Isaan? Are there any issues to be aware of with owning goats?

Once, when we were going to Makro in Ubon last year, we saw a guy with loads of baby goats at a restaurant by the side of the road. After we had done our shopping we went back to look for him, but he was gone.

The wife wants them to keep the plants in the garden under control. I want them to grow a bit, then will chop them up for my famous Jamaican curry goat. Can't get scotch bonnets in Isaan, but I think prik kii nuu will be just as good!

Thank you so much - a bit far for me, but my uncle in law goes to Lop Buri now and again.

I want to buy a goat that can be kind of a family "pet" whilst eating all the the weeds in our garden. 

And then after a few years, I want to butcher it and eat it. I cooked a bbq for the West Indies cricket B team once in Goring, I cooked jerk goat kebabs and did a curry goat with barbecued jacket potatoes. Everyone enjoyed the food greatly, but it might have had something to do with their very smelly oversized "cigarettes".

Better to buy two rather than just keep one alone. They are herd animals and a goat on its own will not be happy.

I know a number of places where you can buy goats in south Surin / Buriram. Let me know if these are close to you and I can provide details.

2 hours ago, pagan1 said:

Better to buy two rather than just keep one alone. They are herd animals and a goat on its own will not be happy.

I know a number of places where you can buy goats in south Surin / Buriram. Let me know if these are close to you and I can provide details.

You can certainly say that again!

If anyone is seriously thinking about buying a goat do not under any circumstances watch the classic film Revenge of Billy the Kid starring the Shakespearian actor Michael Balfour. It'll put you off goats for life. I watched it about five years ago and it still gives me the shudders now.

It's said to be based on actual events that took place in England's West Country shortly after WW2.

3 hours ago, Slugs11 said:

OP, if you are based near Ubon Ratchathani, then have a family member who has a goat farm. It’s close to Traken Phuet Phon, which is 45km from Ubon

That couldn't possibly be any closer to us! Can you PM the details and my wife can call up if they want to sell a couple of young goats? Thank you very much.

Archived