Election not free or fair, says poll monitor

webfact

Election not free or fair, says poll monitor

By The Nation

370a35b13b38e5b5c2f57c7a11cfd243-sld.jpe

ACCORDING to a key election monitor, Sunday’s election was not free or fair

In a statement released yesterday, the People Network for Elections in Thailand (P-Net) said vote-buying was prevalent in many areas of the country, especially the North, Northeast and Central regions. This apparently happened a few nights before the ballot. 

P-Net blamed the problem on the Election Commission (EC), saying the agency had taken no measures to prevent or suppress election fraud. The EC also failed to take decisive and prompt action to discourage such violations of the electoral law, P-Net said in a statement.

Certain parties and their candidates openly relied on state officials and government authority to take advantage over their competitors, the watchdog added. 

“P-Net believes this election was not sufficiently free or fair. A free and fair election is necessary to reform and change Thailand,” the statement said. 

However, it admitted that Sunday’s election did show some improvements in terms of political parties compared to previous polls, with contesting parties presenting constructive policy platforms. 

As for the EC, the watchdog said that judging from the agency’s performance in the seven months ahead of the national vote, commissioners clearly lacked experience and ability to organise a general election efficiently. 

‘EC did not use its authority’

“Despite the authority given to them by law, the EC failed to fully make use of this power. Also, they were not able to spend the increased budget carefully,” P-Net said.

It also slammed the EC for not being prepared enough to properly organise advance voting for Thais living overseas. It pointed to the fact that many ballots cast overseas were not delivered on time for vote counting, which caused them to be considered invalid. 

Moreover, P-Net said, election officials dispatched at polling stations were “less precise and strict” in complying with relevant rules and regulations, compared to election officials in previous polls. The group blamed this on the lack of preparation and training. 

P-Net also noted that unlike in previous polls, Sunday’s election had no volunteer observers at polling stations, which it said made it easy for possible fraud. “In many cases, it was found that state authorities were trying to influence voters,” it said. 

The monitor also said the voter turnout was a lot lower than expected, which it blamed on insufficient public relations on the EC’s part.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366537

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-26

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, webfact said:

“In many cases, it was found that state authorities were trying to influence voters,” it said. 

Stunning. 

In any case, we already knew beforehand the elections wouldn't be free and fair, and that was exactly the intention.

Everything is for sale in Thailand.

If you took money for your vote, you got what you deserved. Forget freedom for five more years (or at least the illusion of freedom). Third world mentality still reigns in Thailand, and that's just what those in power want.

Well, the army seemed absolutely desperate to cling to power and the rewriting of the constitution pretty much assured that. Now, the question is, can Thailand ever get rid of them? Or are they destined to be a backwards moving nation forever?

Not sure about you guys, but this election sure leaves a bitter taste in my mouth in regards to my future in Thailand. A lifetime under these hapless incompetents?

I think the biggest problem is simply -the EC is too stupid to count ! And of course they had spent 5.8 billion but had no calculator !
More votes than voters, people dead since years voting, 7 year olds voting, army ordering soldiers who to vote for and officers checking standing next to them to “help” - because apparently they are to stupid to make a cross on a ballot paper but not too stupid to shoot to kill or suffocate there own civilian population.
IMG_8528.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you:

1) stage a coup, and give carte blanche amnesty to yourselves

2) detain politicians and send them to be "re-educated", and only release them when they sign some BS statement

3) form a bogus military government with lackies to re-write, for the umpteenth time, a new Constitution which tips the scales heavily in your favour

4) form a new " political party" to capitalize on the new voting regulations

5) are on TV & radio for hours every week, droning on about how great you are, hoping to brainwash the citizens ... for 4+ years

6) select a new set of Election Commissioners to help tip the scale even more

7) ban one of the pesky Opposition parties just weeks before the election

And, even after all of these measures, you STILL don't win the rigged elections, then you have to get it into your thick head that the Thai people REALLY do not care for you nor your ham-fisted tactics.

And, what's worse, your dictatorial actions helped to destroy a party which was a major player for decades, and forced the resignation of its leader - because it had tacitly supported your coup.

Bonus - the big-mouthed clown, who collected millions from his marches to help bring down the previous government, got only 1 seat

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, the army seemed absolutely desperate to cling to power and the rewriting of the constitution pretty much assured that. Now, the question is, can Thailand ever get rid of them? Or are they destined to be a backwards moving nation forever?

Not sure about you guys, but this election sure leaves a bitter taste in my mouth in regards to my future in Thailand. A lifetime under these hapless incompetents?

Leave.

15 minutes ago, tx22cb said:

If you:

1) stage a coup, and give carte blanche amnesty to yourselves

2) detain politicians and send them to be "re-educated", and only release them when they sign some BS statement

3) form a bogus military government with lackies to re-write, for the umpteenth time, a new Constitution which tips the scales heavily in your favour

4) form a new " political party" to capitalize on the new voting regulations

5) are on TV & radio for hours every week, droning on about how great you are, hoping to brainwash the citizens ... for 4+ years

6) select a new set of Election Commissioners to help tip the scale even more

7) ban one of the pesky Opposition parties just weeks before the election

And, even after all of these measures, you STILL don't win the rigged elections, then you have to get it into your thick head that the Thai people REALLY do not care for you nor your ham-fisted tactics.

And, what's worse, your dictatorial actions helped to destroy a party which was a major player for decades, and forced the resignation of its leader - because it had tacitly supported your coup.

Bonus - the big-mouthed clown, who collected millions from his marches to help bring down the previous government, got only 1 seat

For #5 I would add "while others were not allowed to open their mouths and speak their mind"

8 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I challenge anyone to find me one single mug who took a bribe and voted for the party that paid him. Unless it was the one he intended voting for anyway. The beauty of secret balots.

If the rumors are true that people had to provide ID when taking bribe money, I can believe that quite a few would have for fear of retribution.

1 hour ago, nickstav said:

Everything is for sale in Thailand.

If you took money for your vote, you got what you deserved. Forget freedom for five more years (or at least the illusion of freedom). Third world mentality still reigns in Thailand, and that's just what those in power want.

Here in Hat Yai, you could cash in by promising to do you cross into the right window, but still would be able to do otherwise.

13 minutes ago, SABloke said:

If the rumors are true that people had to provide ID when taking bribe money, I can believe that quite a few would have for fear of retribution.

Why ? they can't check your ID against your ballot paper

46 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If Uncle Prayut stays in power for 4 more years, bitter taste would be the least of my worries . On the bright side he will run the country down to a bigger crash than ever before

That is all the EC has to report? vote buying?!

Asia News (channelnewsasia) was reporting REAL questions on counting of votes and votes being tossed, destroyed and not counted. Not that anyone would be suprised by this. :biggrin:

Meanwhile I have been impressed by some new relievers in our bullpen. Things might not be that bad after all. :thumbsup:

I live in Khon Kaen district in a large village outside the city. My wife and I have been married and lived in the village for 11 years, she was born in the village. She is very truthful and never lies to me

i i asked her has any one offered money etc to the villagers to vote. She said No Never. And I believe this to be true.

Vote buying has been the norm in Isan, the North, and Central regions for as long as there have been elections in Thailand. Buying MPs to run under your party banner has been the norm for at least two decades, for parties with the money to do it. Using the advantages of incumbent power has been the norm. On those counts, this was a typical Thai election. There has always been ballot box stuffing, messing with the numbers, etc. In fact, in the 2006 election, voters were denied a secret ballot in many constituencies at that time. The commissioner of that EC was eventually jailed. Was this election more corrupt on messing with the numbers afterward than previous elections? That could very well be true, and P-NET should be allowed to make its case if true. What is also undeniable, however, is that the pro-regime anti-Shinawatra anti-Red Shirt party had far more support than you would believe if you were judging public sentiment based on webboards, forums, and the cyber world, which represents a particular slice of Thai society. That is something the Shinawatra supporters and regime critics should reflect on, but I doubt they will in any meaningful way. They should reflect on how they have consistently contributed to the crippling divisions in society that have been holding Thailand back and ruining this country's future for years if not decades to come.

Archived