Election not free or fair, says poll monitor

webfact

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

I live in Khon Kaen district in a large village outside the city. My wife and I have been married and lived in the village for 11 years, she was born in the village. She is very truthful and never lies to me

i i asked her has any one offered money etc to the villagers to vote. She said No Never. And I believe this to be true.

Maybe so in terms of cash............unrealistic offers of better facilities & public services in their specific location most probably are mentioned as in most elections.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Caine said:

Did anyone really expect anything different, absolutely nothing in Thailand is free and fair is not in their vocabulary. All I know is we lost 2 Saturday nights in the bars for what ? that certainly wasn’t fair.

Exactly.

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

I live in Khon Kaen district in a large village outside the city. My wife and I have been married and lived in the village for 11 years, she was born in the village. She is very truthful and never lies to me

i i asked her has any one offered money etc to the villagers to vote. She said No Never. And I believe this to be true. 

And the guy living with you is her brother...

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

Surely you are not serious with that comment, never lies to you, my wife is as good a wife as any man could wish for, and even she lies sometimes, people never offered money for votes, dream on pal.

You must live a dream world, because most villagers in Isaan were bribed before they cast their votes.

It's nice to hear someone say it publicly, re the OP. But should anyone really be surprised?

The pattern and modus operandi was well established and charted in the long-run up to the delayed, delayed delayed election, including all the various restrictions on campaigning, the registration of parties, etc etc.   All the levels of government working in concert to achieve the desired outcome.

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Surely you are not serious with that comment, never lies to you, my wife is as good a wife as any man could wish for, and even she lies sometimes, people never offered money for votes, dream on pal.

You must live a dream world, because most villagers in Isaan were bribed before they cast their votes.

Here in Udon about three weeks before the election, they were offered 500Baht per vote for.........

They had to send by Line, copies of their ID cards. Four ID cards sent. no money paid, so they didn't vote for that candidate.

My wife reckoned the agent just kept the money but didn't pass it on.

More Thais cheating Thais.

36 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Not bribed,Col..

"Incentivized" is the word that you are looking for..

And,after all,we are all looking for Thai's who are incentivised,are we not?

24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Here in Udon about three weeks before the election, they were offered 500Baht per vote for.........

They had to send by Line, copies of their ID cards. Four ID cards sent. no money paid, so they didn't vote for that candidate.

My wife reckoned the agent just kept the money but didn't pass it on.

More Thais cheating Thais.

Were they supposed to get the money before or after they actually voted?

4 hours ago, justin case said:

so no problem with the man that takes over democratic power for 5 years and then appoints himself again as PM ....

thailand should stop investing so much money in the army...what country is invading thailand again ?  submarines ? 

The CHINESE - in a subtle economic way!!

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, the army seemed absolutely desperate to cling to power and the rewriting of the constitution pretty much assured that. Now, the question is, can Thailand ever get rid of them? Or are they destined to be a backwards moving nation forever?

Not sure about you guys, but this election sure leaves a bitter taste in my mouth in regards to my future in Thailand. A lifetime under these hapless incompetents?

Thailand will get raped for decades to come as it has for decades in the past but why do you think Corruption is worse under the current government? They have done more to fight corruption than the previous rapists.

5 hours ago, nickstav said:

Everything is for sale in Thailand.

If you took money for your vote, you got what you deserved. Forget freedom for five more years (or at least the illusion of freedom). Third world mentality still reigns in Thailand, and that's just what those in power want.

True,but as is being proved by the UK voting system,a once followed,and valued by many countries around the world, government system,the ones that won the referendum,leave, are now being cheated,by mostly paid off politician cheaters.

5 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I do love a man with a sense of humour

Got it in abundance it seems..

In fact,if it was 5 o'clock in the morning in Australia I would swear he was a kookaburra up at sparrowfaht-with a larrikin determination to irritate the neighbours..

1 minute ago, eddysmit said:

True,but as is being proved by the UK voting system,a once followed,and valued by many countries around the world, government system,the ones that won the referendum,leave, are now being cheated,by mostly paid off politician cheaters.

sigh..brexit..sigh..

147 threads on brexit..not a single one of them are interesting-more of an advertisement for universal laxatives.

16 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I do love a man with a sense of humour

Can give one example that effects me directly. The clearing out of 90% of street stalls in Bangkok and especially lower sukhumvit and the massive brown envelope corruption along with it

We have humor and we have stupid. Im the funny guy ????

Only around 60% bothered to vote... we know who they were.

30% obviously believe their vote wouldn't make any difference.

An estimated 2.8 spoiled ballots ( begs the question why)?

Overseas ballots not counted if they weren't here in time...

Officials buying votes, rules & regulations not followed, 

And the icing on the cake just to make sure a rigged senate.

Welcome to Asian practices... Myanmar, Cambodia etc etc etc

Thailand is not alone.

20 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

Name one military dictatorship in history that ever conducted a 'free and fair' election. To think that it would have been otherwise is just silly. It is what it is...it is Thailand where EVERYTHING is for sale

Given that at best we've only 150 years of free and fair elections in just a handful of countries I'd say there's not enough evidence to draw any firm conclusions

14 minutes ago, madmen said:

Can give one example that effects me directly. The clearing out of 90% of street stalls in Bangkok and especially lower sukhumvit and the massive brown envelope corruption along with it

Indeed - only one, and around where I live the effect has not been permanent

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

So that’s why buying of votes has been going on for decades....because it doesn’t work..?? Khon Kaen university..? Remind me where that features in world rankings. And I think you mean 'opinions '. Perhaps you could keep your censorious attitude to yourself?

Who knows, it has been going on for decades on all sides, so we have nothing at all to go on in regard to its efficiency, except for the interviews with voters done by KKU.

For your information, KKU is number 4 in Thailand and 990 in the world, but how do you think that will help you to read their survey results?

And no, I do not mean opinion when talking about these survey results which are a simple yes/no type question, who knows what you were thinking there but probably a better look for you to not to attempt to poopoo KKU if you don't know the difference between opinion and stated objective fact.

And requesting you not to slander an entire region of Thailand is not censorious, which means to be overtly critical of others, nothing overtly critical in my polite request to keep your bigotry to yourself.

Archived