Trump lashes out after Russia probe, cites 'treasonous' and 'evil' acts

webfact

Trump lashes out after Russia probe, cites 'treasonous' and 'evil' acts

By Jeff Mason and Susan Heavey

2019-03-25T134805Z_1_LYNXNPEF2O163_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA-BARR.JPG

U.S. Attorney General William Barr's signature is seen at the end of his four page letter to U.S. congressional leaders on the conclusions of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russian meddling in the 2016 election after the letter was released by the House Judiciary Committee in Washington, U.S. March 24, 2019. REUTERS/Jim Bourg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump, cleared by Special Counsel Robert Mueller of conspiring with Russia in the 2016 U.S. election, on Monday vented his anger at the inquiry and vowed investigations into unnamed political enemies who did "evil" and "treasonous things."

The Republican president and his allies in Congress went on the offensive a day after the release of a summary of Mueller's report gave him a political victory ahead of his 2020 re-election bid, with no allegations of criminal wrongdoing brought against him at the end of a nearly two-year-long inquiry.

U.S. Attorney General William Barr on Sunday released a four-page summary of the findings of the investigation that detailed Russian interference in the 2016 election.

"There are a lot of people out there that have done some very, very evil things, very bad things, I would say treasonous things against our country," Trump told reporters at the White House, without mentioning anyone by name or citing specific actions.

Senator Lindsey Graham, the Republican Senate Judiciary Committee chairman and aTrump ally, said he would ask Barr to appoint a special counsel to investigate the origins of the Russia probe, which was first handled by the FBI and then by Mueller after the president fired the agency's director, James Comey, in May 2017.

The Republican president pledged new investigations but did not specify who would conduct them or who should be targeted. Trump in the past has called for investigations of Hillary Clinton, the Democratic candidate he defeated in 2016.

"Those people will certainly be looked at. I've been looking at them for a long time,"Trump said in the Oval Office sitting alongside visiting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. "And I'm saying: why haven't they been looked at? They lied to Congress. Many of them. You know who they are."

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders called for congressional hearings to investigate prominent Trump critics including former U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former CIA Director John Brennan, Comey and other FBI figures.

The end of the Mueller inquiry did not spell the end of the investigative pressure onTrump. Democrats gave no indication of easing up on their multiple congressional investigations into his business and personal dealings.

Graham said it was time to look at the Clinton campaign and the origins of a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrant for former Trump adviser Carter Page, which was based in part on information in a dossier compiled by Christopher Steele, a former British intelligence officer who co-founded a private intelligence firm. Republicans said the FBI failed to disclose that Steele was hired by a firm funded by Democrats to do opposition research on Trump's business dealings.

"I love this country as much I can love anything: my family, my country, my God," Trumpsaid. "But what they did. It was a false narrative. It was terrible thing. We can never let this happen to another president again."

Trump had repeatedly accused Mueller, a former FBI director, of running a "witch hunt" with a team of "thugs" and having conflicts of interest. But when asked on Monday if Mueller had acted honourably, Trump said, "Yes."

Trump also said he had not thought about pardoning anyone convicted or who pleaded guilty in the Mueller probe. They include several of his former aides such as former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, former national security adviser Michael Flynn and former personal lawyer Michael Cohen. The special counsel also detailed extensive contacts between Trump associates and Russia.

"We're glad it's over. It's 100 percent the way it should have been," Trump said. "I wish it could have gone a lot sooner, a lot quicker."

FIGHT OVER MUELLER REPORT

A fierce fight was brewing over how much of Mueller's findings should be made public. Democrats, who control the U.S. House of Representatives, demanded a full release but one of Trump's lawyers, Jay Sekulow, said at least part of the Mueller report should be withheld.

Sekulow said it "would be very inappropriate" to release the president's written answers to questions posed by the special counsel, calling the responses provided in November confidential. After lengthy negotiations, Trump reversed his previous stance that he would be willing to submit to an in-person interview with the Mueller team, ultimately agreeing only to provide written answers.

Mueller, who submitted his confidential report on his findings to Barr on Friday, neither accused Trump of obstruction of justice in trying to impede the investigation nor exonerated him of obstruction, according to the summary.

Barr said he and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who appointed Mueller, concluded the investigation's evidence "is not sufficient to establish that the president committed an obstruction-of-justice offence."

The Mueller investigation had cast a cloud over Trump's presidency but he has declared himself fully exonerated by Barr's summary, despite what it said on the obstruction of justice issue.

Mueller told top Justice Department officials three weeks ago he would not reach a conclusion on the obstruction question - an unexpected move, a department official said.

Democrats have vowed to call Barr - a Trump appointee who before taking the job had criticized Mueller's obstruction investigation - to appear before lawmakers to answer questions. Trump on Monday said "it wouldn't bother me at all" if the report were released, but it was up to Barr.

In an appearance on NBC's "Today" program, spokeswoman Sanders said, "The media and Democrats have called the president an agent of a foreign government. That is an action equal to treason, which is punishable by death in this country."

Asked if Trump owed Mueller an apology, Sanders added, "I think Democrats and the liberal media owe the president and they owe the American people an apology."

Justice Department regulations give Barr broad authority to determine how much of the Mueller report to release. Democrats have threatened to go to court to win its release, if necessary.

The Kremlin on Monday said President Vladimir Putin was ready to improve ties with the United States following the release of Barr's summary and called on the United States to formally recognise there was no collusion between Russia and Trump's campaign. Russia repeated its denial of election meddling.

Mueller, in previous legal filings, described a Russian campaign to interfere in the election through hacking and propaganda to sow discord in the United States, harm Clinton and boost Trump. Mueller charged 12 Russian intelligence officers, 13 other Russians accused of taking part in a disinformation campaign and three Russian companies in the meddling.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason and Susan Heavey; Additional reporting by Susan Cornwell, Mark Hosenball, Sarah N. Lynch, Doina Chiacu, Makini Brice and Lawrence Hurley in Washington and Tom Balmforth and Maxim Rodionov in Moscow; Writing by Will Dunham; Editing by Bill Trott and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-26

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

President Donald Trump, cleared by Special Counsel Robert Mueller of conspiring with Russia 

Trumps ties with Russia are well documented and go way back, they even bailed him out financially when he was desperate

The same corrupt pseudo media crying Russia...Impeach him!...have totally ignored the part they played in this fiasco and are now turning their focus on a possible obstruction witch hunt... 

Good luck with that!

The harm being done to the country is not fostered by the Trump administration...but the Trump haters...

Ok, go to your safe-room and pout now...you know who you are...

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

Trumps ties with Russia are well documented and go way back, they even bailed him out financially when he was desperate

Nothing illegal about doing business with the Russians. It is no longer the Soviet Union.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Those people will certainly be looked at. I've been looking at them for a long time,"Trump said in the Oval Office sitting alongside visiting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. "And I'm saying: why haven't they been looked at? They lied to Congress. Many of them. You know who they are."

I don't.

Who are these “evil” people?

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don't.

Who are these “evil” people?

James Clapper for one. A first class POS if there ever was. Perjury should be punished, otherwise people think " the fix is in" and they lose trust in their government and take a flier on an a-hole like Trump.

22 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

James Clapper for one. A first class POS if there ever was. Perjury should be punished, otherwise people think " the fix is in" and they lose trust in their government and take a flier on an a-hole like Trump.

Never heard of him. 

25 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

James clapper is a retired Air Force General he was the head of several intelligence agency’s an American patriot and well respected man 

12 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Maybe you should have read the article you commented on.

I know his name is mentioned, I’ve still never heard of him or what his “evil” acts are. 

This the guy?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/james-clapper-says-he-has-doesnt-have-any-regrets-about-raising-alarms-over-trumps-behavior/amp/

hardly seems evil

When any sane leader would use this as a chance to attempt some unity (By sending a "Now that this sorry chapter is over and I have been vindicated, I call out to all sides to put their differences apart and work together for the good of the country" type message), this cretin uses it as yet an another occasion to sow more seeds of divisiveness and rancour.  As I posted some time ago, I couldn't care less if he was or wasn't found guilty of aiding the Russians in their proven interference in the election (though guilty would have made it easier to remove him before he does too much more damage, and the report must be released before all charges can be put to rest), he is a despicably sorry excuse for a human being who basks in lies, hatred and bigotry.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

I know his name is mentioned, I’ve still never heard of him or what his “evil” acts are. 

Donald’s dealings with hostile foreign powers got him worryed as any patriot should be

28 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Maybe you should have read the article you commented on.

Seems that some on TV read the Bi-line of an article and then make a comment. Not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The same corrupt pseudo media crying Russia...Impeach him!...have totally ignored the part they played in this fiasco and are now turning their focus on a possible obstruction witch hunt... 

Good luck with that!

The harm being done to the country is not fostered by the Trump administration...but the Trump haters...

Ok, go to your safe-room and pout now...you know who you are...

Oh, so if the obstruction of justice allegations are a witch hunt, why is it that Trump's handpicked attorney general is refusing to rule out Trump's criminality?

3 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Seems that some on TV read the Bi-line of an article and then make a comment. Not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

Let's face it, whatever news is presented, could be about anything really, is just the pretext for people to share with others that "I am right, and you are wrong".

23 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

When any sane leader would use this as a chance to attempt some unity (By sending a "Now that this sorry chapter is over and I have been vindicated, I call out to all sides to put their differences apart and work together for the good of the country" type message), this cretin uses it as yet an another occasion to sow more seeds of divisiveness and rancour.  As I posted some time ago, I couldn't care less if he was or wasn't found guilty of aiding the Russians in their proven interference in the election (though guilty would have made it easier to remove him before he does too much more damage, and the report must be released before all charges can be put to rest), he is a despicably sorry excuse for a human being who basks in lies, hatred and bigotry.

You have to be kidding. After all this time I as an American citizen want the DOJ to get to the bottom of this. I want repercussions for those that masterminded this witchhunt. I also want to see people go to prison. But, those that started this. I hope Trump starts such a massive effort that indictments come down at a rate the country has never seen. I want James Comey, Hillary Clinton, the Clinton Foundation investigated. I want to see the FBI toppled. It is now Trump's turn. Not a good time to be on his bad side.

4 minutes ago, Longcut said:

You have to be kidding. After all this time I as an American citizen want the DOJ to get to the bottom of this. I want repercussions for those that masterminded this witchhunt. I also want to see people go to prison. But, those that started this. I hope Trump starts such a massive effort that indictments come down at a rate the country has never seen. I want James Comey, Hillary Clinton, the Clinton Foundation investigated. I want to see the FBI toppled. It is now Trump's turn. Not a good time to be on his bad side.

Let’s see the report first.

Then we’ll discuss repercussions.

17 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Do you need a refresher as to why people would be concerned with Donald how about helinski how about Donald blabbing secrets to the Russians in the Oval Office (running his yap about some intelligence we got from Israel)how about when he dissed all the cia dead in front of the wall of stars what’s wrong with you of course people would be concerned with this train wreck

Archived