May fights for control as lawmakers aim to seize Brexit process

webfact

7 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Brexit is a lesson on where lies get you!

Unfortunately sometimes, in a democracy, lies get you elected. 

But of course, you can't deliver on those lies after you are elected.

But there are those who will always insist they were never lied to, it's just the establishment didn't like their hero. 

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tebee said:

But there are those who will always insist they were never lied to, it's just the establishment didn't like their hero. 

Liars you want, liars you get.

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

Throughout history liars have always made the best promises.

17 hours ago, tebee said:

Agreed,   but then you have to realise that the current UK government is fundamentally incompetent the majority of whom are self-righteous hypocrites whose only concern is where there next meal ticket is coming from after the next election. Teresa may, God bless her, was only the PM because no one else wanted the job after that conciliatory buffoon Cameroon lost the referendum and resigned  because he had many other lucrative job offers to accept and of course a book to write.  A referendum by the way that should never have happened as the UK had one in 1975 in which 68% wanted to remain within the EU.

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Agreed,   but then you have to realise that the current UK government is fundamentally incompetent the majority of whom are self-righteous hypocrites whose only concern is where there next meal ticket is coming from after the next election. Teresa may, God bless her, was only the PM because no one else wanted the job after that conciliatory buffoon Cameroon lost the referendum and resigned  because he had many other lucrative job offers to accept and of course a book to write.  A referendum by the way that should never have happened as the UK had one in 1975 in which 68% wanted to remain within the EU.

In 1975 we joined a golf club, unfortunately later the EU wanted to play rugby.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

And some people got upset because the Rugby teams would have a pitch on the golf courses displacing the limp wristed golfists and let's face it, unlike golfers, Rugby players are real men.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

A simplification that simply doesn’t do justice to the EU - but of course that isn’t what you are after. Any change the EU went through was supported by the UK.

14 minutes ago, damascase said:

A simplification that simply doesn’t do justice to the EU - but of course that isn’t what you are after. Any change the EU went through was supported by the UK.

I actually was paraphrasing Hans Olaf Henkel, a member of the European Parliament.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Oh come on, even in '75 it was obvious that the eu was only interested in the power of a few groups.....

CAP is the prime example.  How the brit. electorate didn't realise that this would only result in higher prices is beyond me!

Even as a 15 year old, I was able to realise that this would be the case.....

3 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Many countries rules for referendums call for a Clear majority not a simple majority.

If the Referendum had required a 60% or more to carry we would not be in this mess now.

I am not saying that 52% should not be ignored that should have been a wakeup call to our government and the EU.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I actually was paraphrasing Hans Olaf Henkel, a member of the European Parliament.

That doesn’t give it any more validity - sad to see that even some MEP’s misrepresent the reality with regard to the EU.

1 minute ago, damascase said:

That doesn’t give it any more validity - sad to see that even some MEP’s misrepresent the reality with regard to the EU.

I really don't get it, Eumainers refuse to take any critism whatsoever about the EU. 

Herr Hans Olaf Henkel appears to be more level headed than Verhofstadt and Juncker, and many more of the EU egoists. 

44 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Many countries rules for referendums call for a Clear majority not a simple majority.

If the Referendum had required a 60% or more to carry we would not be in this mess now.

I am not saying that 52% should not be ignored that should have been a wakeup call to our government and the EU.

Absolutely agree with you. The referendum in 1975 to remain commanded a 63/38 vote to remain. Frankly with the apparent illegal activities of the Leave group, with such a small majority this referendum was a total failure but a clear example as to how illegal acts can change an outcome which is then supported by the incumbent government.

What Are Some of the Problems Facing Europe Today?

As Europe approaches the second half of the 21st-century's second decade, it faces pressing issues of anti-EU sentiment, sluggish economic growth and high unemployment. While many are calling for a greater degree of integration between the European Union's member-states, growing concerns regarding the region's struggling businesses and sluggish GDP growth are giving rise to Euroscepticism, or a lack of faith in the EU's ability to bring about significant improvements. According to a report released in October of 2013 by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, 120 million Europeans were at risk of falling into poverty.

Research conducted by the World Health Organization points to an increase in European suicide rates that parallels the region's rise in mass unemployment and the shrinking of the its middle class. Increased illegal immigration and growing xenophobia are also generating a greater risk of political instability and social turmoil. One of the problems affecting the business sector, and adding to the unemployment situation, is the inability of small businesses to obtain much-needed loans.

Coordination of differing foreign policies across the European region is poor and it is believed that a much greater degree of collaboration will be needed to prevent otherwise avoidable security and economic threats. The region's financial system has not been fully stabilized, particularly with regard to the large banks, and there is the potential for a significant inflation issue to develop in the long run.

Damn, I can't wait to join this sh1t.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

I really don't get it, Eumainers refuse to take any critism whatsoever about the EU. 

Herr Hans Olaf Henkel appears to be more level headed than Verhofstadt and Juncker, and many more of the EU egoists. 

I am NOT refusing criticism, I was only saying that the reality is that any change the EU went through was supported by the UK. When the MEP in question leaves that fact out of the equation, it at the very least lowers the validity of his argument.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:24 AM, AlexRich said:

The Leave campaign was conducted as if they didn't have to consider what another side might want ... the EU. It was a case of we get everything that we ask for and they say yes, because they need us more than we need them. So if we want something that means them giving up something that is important them, they will.

A more honest campaign would be to tell people that the only way to get everything that you want is a leave on WTO terms without any transition or future agreement, and explain that would involve many years of legal wrangling with the EU and an immense hit on the economy. But no leave campaigner said that. And the reason they never said it was because they knew that option would not get voted for ... that would be a big vote loser.

Brexit is a lesson on where lies get you!

Why should we consider what the E.U. want. They are after all, a foreign country, admittedly one that is our colonial masters.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:36 AM, tebee said:

Very true. There are many M.P who got themselves elected by telling many lies. One being, that they would implement the decision of the British people. 

On 3/27/2019 at 12:54 PM, Basil B said:

What next?

Tory party calling an EGM to suspend the rule that prevents the MP's calling for a second leaders challenge within 12 months? 

Unfortunately that would only result in the same remain supporting Tories, electing another remainer, to replace remainer May.

Why bother.

12 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

No, in 1975 the electorate was conned into voting for the E.U.

I can only assume that you did not vote in that referendum,otherwise you would know that for a fact.

41 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

Unfortunately that would only result in the same remain supporting Tories, electing another remainer, to replace remainer May.

Why bother.

As I see it there only seems to be runners for the post you could call them many names but certainly not  remainers...

7 hours ago, Thairealist said:

I can only assume that you did not vote in that referendum,otherwise you would know that for a fact.

Utter rubbish and I most certainly did vote then. I suspect from your childish drivel that you were either too young or not even born then.

10 hours ago, Thairealist said:

So in 1975 67.23% of the electorate were conned and in 2016 51.8% of the electorate were conned. The con artists are losing their grip.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, talahtnut said:

'At what point does a majority kick in?' is a poor losers

question. Who would dare to decide? You?

A majority of 1 is a majority, simple maffs.

If remain had won by 1 vote, I doubt you would be arguing

your point.

Brexit was deliverable, otherwise the government wouldn't

have stuck their dirty big oar in. 'As we are now finding out'.

Only the mentally challenged would think that a referendum majority hinged on one vote, which says a lot about DC and his rhetoric.

Obviously there is no doubt you consider I am mentally challenged, brexiteers judge by their own standards.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:42 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

It certainly was deliverable. Leaving the SM, CU, ECJ could have been done which is really Brexit and not BRINO. I assume you wouldn't like it, like many MP's but it was deliverable.

It was never deliverable under those conditions. David Cameron was advised prior to the Referendum Bill that the Irish border would be a major issue without a CU. His arrogance excluded the possibility of a leave result and ignored the advice.

Time has proved he should have put more thought into the referendum.

19 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Absolutely agree with you. The referendum in 1975 to remain commanded a 63/38 vote to remain. Frankly with the apparent illegal activities of the Leave group, with such a small majority this referendum was a total failure but a clear example as to how illegal acts can change an outcome which is then supported by the incumbent government.

Quite, the irony is that the referendum not being legally binding prevents any legal challenge to the result.

The government keeps going on about its moral obligation to 17.4 million, what about the moral obligation to the other 16.8 million voters on a result that was obtained under dubious circumstances, obviously an irrelevance.

Would serve them right if the 16.8 million all joined the Lib Dems.

Quite, the irony is that the referendum not being legally binding prevents any legal challenge to the result.
The government keeps going on about its moral obligation to 17.4 million, what about the moral obligation to the other 16.8 million voters

Legally binding schminding. We are three years past the referendum and have the Withdrawal Act etc enshrined in law. That’s as much legally binding as Remainers are going to get.
It was a ‘Winner Takes All’ referendum. Everybody knew that from the start. Neither the govt or Leavers have any obligation of any kind to the losers. What the Remainers have is a moral obligation to accept the will of the majority. This is not some infant school sports day, where everyone is a winner just for taking part.

Archived