BA flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Düsseldorf by mistake

webfact

It is completely understandable. Have you ever glanced at the Dusseldorf telephone directory (everyone needs a hobby, and it is hard to get the bits for my model railway up here in the North of Thailand), there are several pages of Jockanese names in it...

????

1 hour ago, bra said:

The flight plan submitted to the Pilots and ATC by the airline company operations section would have been to Edinburgh. The aircraft flight management system and the ATC system would have been programmed with this flight plan data. So its not a question that the flight crew and ATC were not aware where the aircraft was going.

The flight plan of course should have been to Dusseldorf - why the error occured has yet to be explained. The airline concerned flys services daily from London City Airport to both locations.

Its not the first time this has happened anywhere. A few years ago in Australia 2 jets of the same airline departed Sydney for Brisbane and Adelaide respectively but the Brisbane one had the Adelaide passengers and vice versa. It wasnt until one of the passengers on the flight going to Brisbane asked a FA why he could see the Pacific Ocean on the right instead of the Australian interior that the error was noticed and both aircraft then turned to their correct destinations.

Anyway the Edinburgh passengers would have no doubt that they were in the wrong place when they disembarked at when they tried to talk with the locals. Instead of easily understood German accented English they would have been totally confused by barely understandable Scottish accented English!

(PS although I am Australian my ancestors were from Scotland about 150 years ago - and they paid their fare!)

It wasnt until one of the passengers on the flight going to Brisbane asked a FA why he could see the Pacific Ocean on the right instead of the Australian interior that the error was noticed and both aircraft then turned to their correct destinations.

New regulations should be passed to have 2 look-outs sitting on either side of aircraft's to spot landmarks and update the pilots. ????

Kind of reminds me of the tourists wanting to book a ticket to Sydney Australia and book online a ticket to Sydney Nova Scotia (Canada). About a half dozen a year. A hell ofa shock when it happens in winter, the tourists arrriving in shorts and t-shirt to blizard conditions.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

what did for me was returning from Shanghai to London in Business Class and the lights failed in my section of the cabin, followed quickly by the entertainments system.  Then to top it all, over Europe with 2 hours to go,  they ran out of drinking water. That did for me. haven't flown with them since and never would. 

Terminal 5, the headquarters of BA, doesn't even have a Customer Service desk; you have to email them!

On second thoughts it's probably a good move by them not have one; would be way too busy.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

BA jet flies to wrong city, lands in Scotland instead of Germany

2019-03-26T035246Z_2_LYNXNPEF2O20V_RTROPTP_4_IAG-OUTLOOK.JPG

FILE PHOTO: British Airways logos are seen on tail fins at Heathrow Airport in west London, Britain, February 23, 2018. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British Airways has been forced to apologise after a flight from London to Dusseldorf landed more than 600 miles (965 km) away in Edinburgh by mistake.

The detour happened after a sub-contracted crew used an incorrect flight plan and set off from London City airport for the Scottish capital instead of setting course for the Rhine.

British Airways said the aircraft - a 96-seat BAe-146 regional jet - was operated by German charter firm WDL Aviation on behalf of BA CityFlyer. The crew and aircraft were sub-contracted from WDL under an arrangement known as a "wet lease".

"We are working with WDL Aviation, who operated this flight on behalf of British Airways, to establish why the incorrect flight plan was filed," BA said in a statement.

"We have apologised to customers for this interruption to their journey and will be contacting them all individually."

WDL Aviation said it had flown the passengers on to Dusseldorf after their unscheduled Scottish stopover.

"We are working closely with the authorities to investigate how the obviously unfortunate mix-up of flight schedules could occur," it said in a statement.

WDL is owned by Berlin-based logistics firm Zeitfracht Group.

(Reporting by Tim Hepher; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-26

Hope the passengers got to listen to bagpipes and drink good Scotch whisky and eat some Haggis while they waited for their flight on to Germany. 

Pilots fly the plan they receive. If a PA was made, one wonders why the cabin crew (if they knew) or at least one of the passengers (who did know their destination) didn’t say something. Anyway, Scotland, Germany, same same but different

38 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

So many people complain about BA. Obviously you have never tried Saudia 10-20 years ago.... That was sometimes an unforgettable experience.

I remember flying something Saudi in 1990 from Riyadh to HK on the way home from a recce in preparation for the 1st Gulf War. As we roared down the runway for takeoff, men were standing in the aisles smoking & women were ripping off their black robes, chadors & face masks to reveal their Christian Dior dresses & jewels underneath ...

6 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I remember flying something Saudi in 1990 from Riyadh to HK on the way home from a recce in preparation for the 1st Gulf War. As we roared down the runway for takeoff, men were standing in the aisles smoking & women were ripping off their black robes, chadors & face masks to reveal their Christian Dior dresses & jewels underneath ...

A bit like flying to Vietnam in the late 90s. The wheels has barely touched the ground and people were up getting bags and heading for the exits. 

BA is the worst airline. I have ever flown on. On a flight to Sweden. They gave us the wrong terminal and together with about 30 passengers. We were stuck there. Finally we found someone who redirected us to another terminal. But to get there. We had to walk with our luggage because there was no transport. We had to take a lift to go down under the runway, but the lift was out of order. When we arrived at the right terminal. The monitors were not working. We virtually had to run to the boarding gate only to find that the plane had been delayed. Our lunch on the plane consisted of soggy sandwiches. Admittedly, much of the problem was Heathrow

this happened a long time ago. But the last time I went it wasn't much better, long queues expensive food in the restaurants and terribly bad service. But to get on the subject. I can't possibly think of any other airline. Having flown to the wrong destination.

Ryanair trolled BA in a tweet that afternoon with the suggested reading material. (Geography for Dummies).

But Twitter users quickly came back with book suggestions lampooning the low-cost airline, including "Employment Law for Dummies".

In 2018 Ryanair was forced to cancel hundreds of flights after strike action by pilots and staff who were complaining about conditions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47710152

Archived