BANGKOK 25 April 2019 01:37
asmicboi

Fighting thai wife for child (with dual nationality) custody

Hi everyone. I am a singaporean living in bangkok on non-o visa (spouse), im working for a overseas compang (work from home basis). And im drawing monthly salary of about 200k baht. Salary is TT over to my bank account in Thailand every month. 

I am divorcing my thai wife of 8 years. She has not work for the past 9 years even since we got together. Basically enjoying life at home and im the sole breadwinner of the family. I bought a townhome and 2 cars for the family. (house and car still financing under her name though). We had our marriage registered in Singapore back then and it was subsequently registered at a local amphur (kor ror 22)

We now have a son who will be 4 yrs old this year. He has dual thai and singapore citizenship. Just for info, My son was not conceived naturally as well because my wife has problem conceiving naturally. We got our lovely son after 3 years of multiple consulation to hospitals and IVF clinic. Entirely paid by me as well. 

However we now face problems in the marriage and she has taken my son back to her hometown in Chiangrai. Even enrolled him to a school there. She told me that she is going to erase the word 'daddy' out of my son mind completely and told him that he doesnt have a father. She also told my parents that she will change my son surname to her family name. etc etc etc. She is basically shutting me and my family away from him now. 

I couldnt sleep every night thinking about my son. I couldnt bare to see him growing up in a village with not much of a future. I dont mean that the village is a bad place to be in. But being financially stable myself, i am able to put him through good education and provide him with a comfortable and enjoyable childhood. I even have plans to bring him back to Singapore for education when he is 6 or 7 years old. 

At the moment, I have stopped all financial support aka salary to my wife now in bid to force her back to negotiation. But it doesnt seems to work. 

My parents back home in singapore loved and misses my son alot. Being the first grandchild of my family. I am now contemplating to sue my wife for divorce (we have valid grounds for divorce. This is taken care of) and i will like to fight and gain full custody of my son.

Given my scenario and situation, will the thai court grant me full custody? Visitation rights doesnt appeal to me. He is so far away from Bangkok and it is difficult for me to travel there too often. my wife might not even allow me to bring him back to Singapore for  education in future if i didnt have full custody rights. 

i am not saying that I to bring him back to Singapore and make him to give up his thai nationality. I still want him to keep them. My plan for him is to return to Thailand in future after his education. As a father, I personally felt Thailand is a much better to live in. Also im in the midst of setting up my own company here in Thailand soon. In fact i have already open the company. Just that i havent started business yet. Just didnt have the right mind to start business with these ongoing issues. 

Seeking advice from all kind souls here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, asmicboi said:

At the moment, I have stopped all financial support aka salary to my wife now in bid to force her back to negotiation. But it doesnt seems to work. 

Best way to go.

Find a new woman and have more children.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Sort of on topic,... but I didn't realise Singaporeans could hold dual nationality. When I went for Thai nationality also the police dept mentioned Singaporeans didn't apply because they couldn't have dual nationality.

Is it possible for Singaporeans to have dual nationality??

Prepare a contract granting you custody of your child, and try and coerce her into signing it. I drew up one myself and it worked for me. 

Custody contract.docx

• Like 2

We all make bad choices now and again. I'm married 27 years to my Thai wife and have no regrets.

• Like 2

I would definitely lawyer up; however, you need to do your homework before hiring one.  That could be a bottomless money pit with nothing to show for it in the end if you get the wrong representation.  I would add business consultation to their duties; because, putting all your eggs in a Thai business venture could be opening the doors to a financial windfall for her during divorce proceedings.  She already has that in the house and car that are in her name.  100% for sure she has been putting money away for years; so, it will be a while before she will need your money again.  In the end money talks; so, eventually that is going to be your leverage. Try to work out an amicable agreement for your son's sake.   

I would try to pick a law firm that has a Singapore office, or better still  perhaps,  a Singapore law firm that has a Bangkok office.  It's not going to be cheap,  but you may have to fight your case in two juristictions, especially as the child is duel Nationality. You don't want to end up with two separate law firms who don't communicate or share information and documents.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, asmicboi said:

keep holding....wait and it will work unless she already has another foreigner financing her

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Best way to go.

Find a new woman and have more children.

and dont be held to blackmail let her keep him, in 2 years she will be begging you to take him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kensisaket said:

I would definitely lawyer up; however, you need to do your homework before hiring one.  That could be a bottomless money pit with nothing to show for it in the end if you get the wrong representation.  I would add business consultation to their duties; because, putting all your eggs in a Thai business venture could be opening the doors to a financial windfall for her during divorce proceedings.  She already has that in the house and car that are in her name.  100% for sure she has been putting money away for years; so, it will be a while before she will need your money again.  In the end money talks; so, eventually that is going to be your leverage. Try to work out an amicable agreement for your son's sake.   

you talk about book experience or went trough divorce yourself in thailand? 

yes those f. ers ask more per hour than I used to earn in .... whatever

and all the freaking extra's on top ...  they are thai/english speaking lawyers but still manage 1500 baht per PAGE for translation, 35000-75000 per day in court, transport not included and other crazy extortion prices

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I would try to pick a law firm that has a Singapore office, or better still  perhaps,  a Singapore law firm that has a Bangkok office.  It's not going to be cheap,  but you may have to fight your case in two juristictions, especially as the child is duel Nationality. You don't want to end up with two separate law firms who don't communicate or share information and documents.  

sorry but this is THAILAND and THAI LAW will be used for your THAI problem

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomahawk21 said:

and dont be held to blackmail let her keep him, in 2 years she will be begging you to take him.

I have a psycho bitch as a wife myself

no they want to hurt you, disregarding the child

toxic NARCISSIST

I wish I knew about those before getting married

look it up, you might start to see in many places

• Like 1

Just now, justin case said:

sorry but this is THAILAND and THAI LAW will be used for your THAI problem

Utter nonsense.  The child is both Thai and Singaporean, it will be an issue for the law in both countries.    

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

If you have the child's passport see if you can get him 'for the weekend' then just bail out to Singapore. She'll come around.

Do whatever...cry like a baby, offer her 100k if only you can take him for a long weekend to Cha Am wah wah wah. She'll only see the big money...give her the cash

Bolt

Oh you can't...bc the kid is not on a Singaporean passport entering. Well, it was a good idea

Edited by Number 6