Can I plug windows 7 notebook into XP pc monitor

steven100

Hi IT techies,

My XP computer is just about dead, it keeps freezing etc ... 10 min after starting. I've cleaned everything, deleted all useless files, ran antivirus, malware, kill.exe and several other cleaners. All worked ok ... until after opening pages a couple of times it starts freezing up.

Anyway .....  I have my notebook Compaq 325, Windows 7 ultimate ....  because it looks small compared to my XP screen, can I buy the computer plug and plug my notebook into the back of my PC monitor ????

thanks

steven100

Your notebook has both VGA and HDMI ports.  Your monitor almost certainly has a VGA port, and depending on its age, might have an HDMI port.  Since HDMI is better than VGA, first check your monitor for an HDMI port.  If it has one, buy an HDMI cable (if you don't have one already).  Otherwise use a VGA cable.  Shouldn't have any problems.

To add to above advice:

Maybe your computer and/or monitor has a DVI port.

DVI and HDMI look completely different but are electrically mostly the same.

You can buy HDMI - DVI cables in case i.e. your monitor has DVI and your notebook has HDMI.

S-HDMI-DVI-1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Oxx said:

It (the computer) doesn't.  I checked the spec before posting.

Ok

But if the monitor is a couple of years old it is more likely that it has a VGA port and a DVI port.

Only newer monitors have a HDMI port instead of a DVI port.

Archived