Jump to content

Immigration proposes much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand


webfact

Recommended Posts

Immigration proposes much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand

 

1553500546699-960x0.jpg

Picture: TNA

 

TNA reported that Thai Immigration are proposing much stiffer penalties for failing to report foreigners staying at addresses in Thailand. 

 

They have referred to the present time under the command of immigration chief Lt-Gen Surachate Hakpan as the "Big Joke Era" referencing the chief's well known nickname. 

 

Laws dating back to 1979 are not sufficient in the modern day especially when it comes to reporting the whereabouts of foreigners. They are considered to be too lenient.

 

2pm2.jpg

Picture: TNA

 

New penalties will see fines of 10,000 baht levied. 

 

The penalties will be even stiffer for hotels and other establishments who harbor migrants for financial gain or profit with jail terms of up to 5 years and fines of 100,000 baht for failing to report. 

 

This seems to relate to not reporting the presence of workers.

 

Pol Col Pongnakhorn Nakornsantiphap who heads a committee recommending changes said that Lt-Gen Surachate wanted to bring Thailand in line with other countries' regulations.

 

In addition stiffer penalties are promised for airlines and individuals who permit individuals to board planes and enter Thailand without onward tickets - he was referencing the case of the Saudi woman who fled her country because of an enforced marriage.

 

2pm1.jpg

Picture: TNA

 

The committee has been working on eleven main changes to immigration rules and penalties since January. 

 

Other changes include the stamps that will be used by immigration. A new flag shaped design is in the offing.

 

In a related story Lt-Gen Surachate himself said that a ministerial committee will discuss the proposals this week with implementation expected after Songkran on April 22nd. 

 

TNA called the present era "Yuk Big Joke" (the era of Big Joke) in their feature on the proposed changes. 

 

Sources: TNA | TNA

 

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-26
 
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the need for border security, but treating all foreign visitors as potential criminals whose whereabouts need to be confirmed under threat of arrest simply isn't the way forward.

 

This initiative is hardly likely to be welcomed by any side, be it the tourists or the tourism operators / hoteliers.

 

Thailand needs less buraecracy, not more

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, webfact said:

 

Other changes include the stamps that will be used by immigration. A new flag shaped design is in the offing.

Perhaps a ball and chain design would be more appropriate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, webfact said:

New penalties will see fines of 10,000 baht levied. 

 

The penalties will be even stiffer for hotels and other establishments who harbor migrants for financial gain or profit with jail terms of up to 5 years and fines of 100,000 baht for failing to report. 

I have no problem with this as long as they only fine the owners/operators of the properties, and not the hapless tourist who probably doesnt even know that someone was supposed to register him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have no problem with this as long as they only fine the owners/operators of the properties, and not the hapless tourist who probably doesnt even know that someone was supposed to register him.

 

You own a condo, right?

 

You like reporting yourself?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about those on retirement extensions living with their wives who have been told there is no need to report on TM30 each time they leave the province/country as long as their home address remains the same?  Do we report or don't we? I shall continue to do so, it's a pain for me and for them but I don't fancy a 10000 baht fine just for doing what they have told me is ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

You own a condo, right?

You like reporting yourself?

 

I dont need to. It was done once by someone else, years ago, and since then I have been told repeatedly by Jomtien immigration that as long as I return to my own condo I dont need to report again.

 

I would not object to doing it if I had to, but I would object a lot to being fined because someone else didn't do it. This happened to hundreds (thousands?) of people last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, webfact said:

bring Thailand in line with other countries' regulations.

What other countries? I've never heard of any other country where reporting to immigration is required when renting to a foreigner. It's quite a ridiculous demand actually...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

.... In addition stiffer penalties are promised for airlines and individuals who permit individuals to board planes and enter Thailand without onward tickets

This will screw up lots of backpackers plans to fly into Thailand and use it as a base for visiting other countries in the region. Also those traveling  onwards to Cambodia, Burma by land

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I do not understand is that in most countries a visa / or extension is permission to stay in that country period - you do not need to go running around telling people where you are. It is just a massive invasion of privacy. 

 

For such a peaceful country Thailand has huge paranoia about the threat from foreigners. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what will happen.

 

Foreigner : I would like to extend my tourist / non-imm visa.

Immigration : You go TM30 desk first.

Foreigner : (at TM 30 desk) I would like to extend my tourist / non-imm visa.

TM30 desk : Where is owner condo? (angrily).

Foreigner : He lives in Bangkok / abroad / 400 kms away / He is at work.

TM30 desk : He must come. Give me phone number. (phones landlord in Bangkok)

TM30 desk : (To foreigner) You pay 10,000 Baht.

Foreigner : Nothing to do with me.

TM30 desk : No pay, no extension. Up to you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, z42 said:

I understand the need for border security, but treating all foreign visitors as potential criminals whose whereabouts need to be confirmed under threat of arrest simply isn't the way forward.

 

This initiative is hardly likely to be welcomed by any side, be it the tourists or the tourism operators / hoteliers.

 

Thailand needs less buraecracy, not more

Please tourist do not have a clue their where abouts is reported to immigration when the move about the country. It may make it harder to rent a apartment as the landlord will want nothing to do with it

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What other countries? I've never heard of any other country where reporting to immigration is required when renting to a foreigner. It's quite a ridiculous demand actually...

Laos, Vietnam, China.....and what do you suppose those countries all have in common?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pol Col Pongnakhorn Nakornsantiphap who heads a committee recommending changes said that Lt-Gen Surachate wanted to bring Thailand in line with other countries' regulations.

So, EU should impose the same on Thai nationals... when Thais's have a Schengen visa, then they are free to travel and stay where ever they want all over the Schengen area without even go to immigration... as long as they have a valid visa!
The countries they are sighting to have these rules are countries like China, North Korea and other highly controlled countries!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...