Immigration proposes much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand

webfact

Immigration proposes much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand

1553500546699-960x0.jpg

Picture: TNA

TNA reported that Thai Immigration are proposing much stiffer penalties for failing to report foreigners staying at addresses in Thailand. 

They have referred to the present time under the command of immigration chief Lt-Gen Surachate Hakpan as the "Big Joke Era" referencing the chief's well known nickname. 

Laws dating back to 1979 are not sufficient in the modern day especially when it comes to reporting the whereabouts of foreigners. They are considered to be too lenient.

2pm2.jpg

New penalties will see fines of 10,000 baht levied. 

The penalties will be even stiffer for hotels and other establishments who harbor migrants for financial gain or profit with jail terms of up to 5 years and fines of 100,000 baht for failing to report. 

This seems to relate to not reporting the presence of workers.

Pol Col Pongnakhorn Nakornsantiphap who heads a committee recommending changes said that Lt-Gen Surachate wanted to bring Thailand in line with other countries' regulations.

In addition stiffer penalties are promised for airlines and individuals who permit individuals to board planes and enter Thailand without onward tickets - he was referencing the case of the Saudi woman who fled her country because of an enforced marriage.

2pm1.jpg

The committee has been working on eleven main changes to immigration rules and penalties since January. 

Other changes include the stamps that will be used by immigration. A new flag shaped design is in the offing.

In a related story Lt-Gen Surachate himself said that a ministerial committee will discuss the proposals this week with implementation expected after Songkran on April 22nd. 

TNA called the present era "Yuk Big Joke" (the era of Big Joke) in their feature on the proposed changes. 

Sources: TNA | TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-26

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the need for border security, but treating all foreign visitors as potential criminals whose whereabouts need to be confirmed under threat of arrest simply isn't the way forward.

This initiative is hardly likely to be welcomed by any side, be it the tourists or the tourism operators / hoteliers.

Thailand needs less buraecracy, not more

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Other changes include the stamps that will be used by immigration. A new flag shaped design is in the offing.

Perhaps a ball and chain design would be more appropriate.

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

New penalties will see fines of 10,000 baht levied. 

The penalties will be even stiffer for hotels and other establishments who harbor migrants for financial gain or profit with jail terms of up to 5 years and fines of 100,000 baht for failing to report. 

I have no problem with this as long as they only fine the owners/operators of the properties, and not the hapless tourist who probably doesnt even know that someone was supposed to register him.

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have no problem with this as long as they only fine the owners/operators of the properties, and not the hapless tourist who probably doesnt even know that someone was supposed to register him.

You own a condo, right?

You like reporting yourself?

What about those on retirement extensions living with their wives who have been told there is no need to report on TM30 each time they leave the province/country as long as their home address remains the same?  Do we report or don't we? I shall continue to do so, it's a pain for me and for them but I don't fancy a 10000 baht fine just for doing what they have told me is ok.

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

You own a condo, right?

You like reporting yourself?

I dont need to. It was done once by someone else, years ago, and since then I have been told repeatedly by Jomtien immigration that as long as I return to my own condo I dont need to report again.

I would not object to doing it if I had to, but I would object a lot to being fined because someone else didn't do it. This happened to hundreds (thousands?) of people last year.

.... In addition stiffer penalties are promised for airlines and individuals who permit individuals to board planes and enter Thailand without onward tickets

This will screw up lots of backpackers plans to fly into Thailand and use it as a base for visiting other countries in the region. Also those traveling  onwards to Cambodia, Burma by land

What I do not understand is that in most countries a visa / or extension is permission to stay in that country period - you do not need to go running around telling people where you are. It is just a massive invasion of privacy. 

For such a peaceful country Thailand has huge paranoia about the threat from foreigners. 

Here is what will happen.

Foreigner : I would like to extend my tourist / non-imm visa.

Immigration : You go TM30 desk first.

Foreigner : (at TM 30 desk) I would like to extend my tourist / non-imm visa.

TM30 desk : Where is owner condo? (angrily).

Foreigner : He lives in Bangkok / abroad / 400 kms away / He is at work.

TM30 desk : He must come. Give me phone number. (phones landlord in Bangkok)

TM30 desk : (To foreigner) You pay 10,000 Baht.

Foreigner : Nothing to do with me.

TM30 desk : No pay, no extension. Up to you.

19 minutes ago, z42 said:

I understand the need for border security, but treating all foreign visitors as potential criminals whose whereabouts need to be confirmed under threat of arrest simply isn't the way forward.

This initiative is hardly likely to be welcomed by any side, be it the tourists or the tourism operators / hoteliers.

Thailand needs less buraecracy, not more

Please tourist do not have a clue their where abouts is reported to immigration when the move about the country. It may make it harder to rent a apartment as the landlord will want nothing to do with it

5 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What other countries? I've never heard of any other country where reporting to immigration is required when renting to a foreigner. It's quite a ridiculous demand actually...

Laos, Vietnam, China.....and what do you suppose those countries all have in common?

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pol Col Pongnakhorn Nakornsantiphap who heads a committee recommending changes said that Lt-Gen Surachate wanted to bring Thailand in line with other countries' regulations.

So, EU should impose the same on Thai nationals... when Thais's have a Schengen visa, then they are free to travel and stay where ever they want all over the Schengen area without even go to immigration... as long as they have a valid visa!
The countries they are sighting to have these rules are countries like China, North Korea and other highly controlled countries!

1 minute ago, jonclark said:

For such a peaceful country Thailand has huge paranoia about the threat from foreigners. 

I don't believe they do. What they have is a very inept bureaucracy in which every department and branch strictly guards all information it possesses and will not liaise with other departments and extremely poor I.T. skills and systems. In addition to this there is the constant requirement that every department pulls in high levels of both receipted and unreceipted income each month without fail.

This means they repeatedly fail to achieve what they set out to do in terms of the strategic aim. I don't think it is paranoia, it is ineptitude and corruption.

6 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

This will screw up lots of backpackers plans to fly into Thailand and use it as a base for visiting other countries in the region. Also those traveling  onwards to Cambodia, Burma by land

Why is that they usually stay at a guest house that should be reporting their place of stay. Real tourist never have anything to do with this system. If the guesthouse or hotel is on the up and up they are reporting their location. I use to check in to hotels in Kanchanaburi only using my drivers licenses now they want the passport because immigration here does come around checking and this has been going on for about 3 years.

2 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Why is that they usually stay at a guest house that should be reporting their place of stay. Real tourist never have anything to do with this system. If the guesthouse or hotel is on the up and up they are reporting their location. I use to check in to hotels in Kanchanaburi only using my drivers licenses now they want the passport because immigration here does come around checking and this has been going on for about 3 years.

Given that AirBNB is theoretically illegal in Thailand, I wonder how many AirBNB hosts report overnight or longer-term guests

29 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

If i stay in my wife's house and give all information about that to the embassy and arrival card do i still have to do anything else?

Just now, Youlike said:

If i stay in my wife's house and give all information about that to the embassy and arrival card do i still have to do anything else?

If your wife is the owner of the house then it is her responsibility to do the reporting...

Ignorance is bliss (or it used to be).

Some 5 years ago on my first trip to Thailand and in the company of the gf of the time, we travelled around the south for a month. Sometimes we stayed in hotels, sometimes we stayed overnight at various family homes (numerous). In the latter case, never did anybody report. Why? Because nobody knew they had to. And to this day, I'm sure most Thais would still not know this.

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

Other countries don't monitor foreigners like they were all on parole..... Not a smart move though.

This should apply ONLY to the landlords/operators, IMO Unfair to turn it around on unsuspecting tourists because they are unable to enforce the rules as intended. 
I got into a hassle about this at Jomtien, and wound up having to pay a fine, etc., because Thai landlords seem to be either intransigent or ignorant about the requirements.

17 minutes ago, moe666 said:

????

In addition stiffer penalties are promised for airlines and individuals who permit individuals to board planes and enter Thailand without onward tickets

nothing to do with reporting>>did u read what i posted>???
The NO allowed to board with no onward ticket is the issue!!

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

jail terms of up to 5 years and fines of 100,000 baht for failing to report. 

Thats a lot more than a HiSo with a Benz would get for mowing

down several people at a bus stop., or for the arsonists that are

effecting so many people's health,not to mention tourist revenue

so pleased to see they have their priorities in order????

regards worgeordie

7 minutes ago, mosan said:
9 minutes ago, Youlike said:

If your wife is the owner of the house then it is her responsibility to do the reporting...

Yes it's her house, so my wife has to go to the immigration to report it or to the policestation?

Archived