Immigration proposes much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

As far I know you do not have to as the registered address is the 'permanent' one (they also notice that when you come back for the 2nd etc time making the process easier and faster).

Must be only for they who have work permit?! I have had the same address her in nearly two decades and still have to report as everyone else. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, johnc925 said:

Has anyone from Phuket experienced any issues relating to TM30 reporting here? I am registered at my wife's address; it's imprinted on my license, etc.  Are we also subject to this new bureaucracy of bullcrap? SMHID

Get you missus to put your name in the blue Tabien Bahn.

4 hours ago, mosan said:

If you want to cover your behind, then I would say yes. You're the one who will be caught out. Most Thais can wiggle out of many instances by claiming ignorance--foreigners, not so much.

If those foreigners not members on TV, not reading this thread or others related to this topic, how are they to know??? The only reason I know about it is through here. I've never been told by immigration when getting an extension, never been told by officers at the airport etc etc.

Maybe tourists should be handed some card or leaflet when being handed the Arrival card that needs to be filled out on entering this ***** country.

19 minutes ago, johnc925 said:

Has anyone from Phuket experienced any issues relating to TM30 reporting here? I am registered at my wife's address; it's imprinted on my license, etc.  Are we also subject to this new bureaucracy of bullcrap? SMHID

Phuket requires you report back everytime you leave the country and every time you leave your house and check into a hotel.

LUCKILY you can do this at the drive in window if you have not changed addresses,

just give them your passport (same as doing your 90 day report)

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Surachate wanted to bring Thailand in line with other countries' regulations.

Which countries track the movements or foreigners on a daily basis and must know where they reside on a given day? North Korea?

And stop fining the foreigner! It's not up to them to report their own whereabouts!

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont need to. It was done once by someone else, years ago, and since then I have been told repeatedly by Jomtien immigration that as long as I return to my own condo I dont need to report again.

I would not object to doing it if I had to, but I would object a lot to being fined because someone else didn't do it. This happened to hundreds (thousands?) of people last year.

I had to pay a fine of 1600 baht last year in Jomtien immigration when asking for a visa extention of my 60 days tourist visa because I "did not report my own adress in my own condo" when I came from Belgium ! I told them that when applying for visa they have asked my adress and also on the card that you receive in the plane to pass immigration...but they said it's different...<deleted> ! In fact I had been in BKK a few days in a hotel before, what I did not mention, maybe I shoud have said it and would not have had to pay this fine ?

Pol Col Pongnakhorn Nakornsantiphap who heads a committee recommending changes said that Lt-Gen Surachate wanted to bring Thailand in line with other countries' regulations.

Which other countries implement something similar to TM.30? I've never heard about this in other places, at least for private housing.

5 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

A day after the elections and already the squeeze is on. Expect worse.....much worse

Aware of that and think its sad after many, many fantastic years in "free land " that Thailand "can't see the forest for the trees" and it will ultimately come a time when this will hurt the country more than benefit its citizens ????

1 minute ago, SymS said:

Which other countries implement something similar to TM.30? I've never heard about this in other places, at least for private housing.

Ah..well.. Field Marshal Surachete would be lucky to find Cambodia on a map..

As far as Major General Bangabigdrum is concerned Laos is a noodle bar in Bangkok.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I rented a condo, six months lease, neither the condo owner nor the juristic person ( manager) knew I had to be reported as living there, had to get signature from condo owner in another city and then report back, only found out by accident that I had to report. Many other farang living there unaware as well.

Not disputing what you say, but you are the first person I have heard about using a TM30 in Phits.

I have lived here for more than 20 years and have never done it, never had a TM30 slip in my passport. Not this passport, the one before it or the one before that.

Assume you are talking about Phits looking at your location under your avatar?

24 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Phuket requires you report back everytime you leave the country and every time you leave your house and check into a hotel.

LUCKILY you can do this at the drive in window if you have not changed addresses,

just give them your passport (same as doing your 90 day report)

I'd lived in Bangkok prior and did my 90 day check in at Chaeng Wattana .. I was hoping to be able to use the online system as my 90 day check in is due April 15 (meaning I should be able to use the online system on April 1).  My Thai wife and I went to USA and came back; we did not do a TM30 upon return. I'll be going to BKK overnight and will attempt to do the TM30 upon return on Friday. if they try to stick us with a 10K THB fine, you may see fireworks on the horizon down in Phuket...  

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Here is what will happen.

Foreigner : I would like to extend my tourist / non-imm visa.

Immigration : You go TM30 desk first.

Foreigner : (at TM 30 desk) I would like to extend my tourist / non-imm visa.

TM30 desk : Where is owner condo? (angrily).

Foreigner : He lives in Bangkok / abroad / 400 kms away / He is at work.

TM30 desk : He must come. Give me phone number. (phones landlord in Bangkok)

TM30 desk : (To foreigner) You pay 10,000 Baht.

Foreigner : Nothing to do with me.

TM30 desk : No pay, no extension. Up to you.

Like everything in this country they "make the rules up as they go along"....and then enforce it willy nilly. 

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have no problem with this as long as they only fine the owners/operators of the properties, and not the hapless tourist who probably doesnt even know that someone was supposed to register him.

Ignorance is not an excuse, as with any country you visit, it is 100% responsibility on the visitor to find out the current law.

5 hours ago, mosan said:

If your wife is the owner of the house then it is her responsibility to do the reporting...

My wife and I attended the immigration office in Srisaket and lodged the tm30 a couple of times this year after traveling in an out and around the country. I handed over the slip along with my passport and TM 6 and the IO just handed it back. I guess enforcement is hit and miss?

6 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What other countries? I've never heard of any other country where reporting to immigration is required when renting to a foreigner. It's quite a ridiculous demand actually...

Myanmar

I'm considering to sell my condo in Pattaya as anyway it's hard to rent and if I am abroad or the agency who would be renting out for me do not report a tenant, I as a owner will be reponsible in any case... I think in the Philippines me and my money will be more welcome. Even for myself, in 16 years in Thailand I never had to report my own adress in my own condo upon arrival as anyway I did already on my card filled in the plane when entering the country and eventually when applying in Belgium consulate/embassy for my visa !

RE - TNA reported that Thai Immigration are proposing much stiffer penalties for failing to report foreigners staying at addresses in Thailand. 

Why not take it up to the next level - On arrival put on a waterproof RFID system to track foreigners as inmates in prison ...

6 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

What other countries? I've never heard of any other country where reporting to immigration is required when renting to a foreigner. It's quite a ridiculous demand actually...

Ridiculous or not, I am a guest and obey the law. Compliance is up to the individual and the consequence for non-compliance is at the pleasure of the Thai goverment.

I went to Ayutthaya Immigration today to inquire what documents I needed for extension of my Non O marriage visa, I had the list but was written in Thai, was told to go home and ask my wife. So simply no one at that office can speak English, or my question was too hard.  And we get hauled over the coals if we overstay. Fair go Big Joke, get some staff who can help eliminate the problems, instead of infuriating them. Seeing as you are dealing with farangs, teach them English?

Archived