BANGKOK 18 April 2019 23:58
webfact

Pheu Thai claims to have enough support to form post-election coalition

Pheu Thai claims to have enough support to form post-election coalition

Phumtham-Wetchayachai.png

Pheu Thai Party, which has apparently emerged as the winner in last Sunday’s general election, has gathered enough support from its political allies to cobble up a coalition government, its secretary general Phumtham Vechayachai claimed this morning.

Phumtham said Pheu Thai and these parties command enough MPS to form a majority government but declined to name them.

However, he  admitted that Bhumjaithai Party, a mid-sized party, which is now seen as a king-maker in the post-election scenario,  has yet make a commitment in joining the coalition.  Phumtham denied media reports that Pheu Thai has offered Bhumjaithai leader Anutin Charnvirakul the post of prime minister in return.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pheu-thai-claims-to-have-enough-support-to-form-post-election-coalition/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-03-26
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

Phumtham denied media reports that Pheu Thai has offered Bhumjaithai leader Anutin Charnvirakul the post of prime minister in return.

as long as they know where the orders come from

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why do I think the Bhumjaithai Party will fall off a balcony in the next few days?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The BJT is one of the most corrupt parties, and real mercenary. So it remains to be seen if the PTP can make a coalition. I for one would not mind a coalition like that but it would not be stable. FFW does not like corruption that much so it might break away (or risk losing its voters) if it gets too bad.

I would like to hope FFW keeps the goverment a bit more honest, plus if they are more honest there is less chance of the junta using it against them. A coalition like this would be good as it seriously weakens the power of the PTP compared to when they had more votes. This mean no stupid stunts like bringing Thaksin back or other things that are highly controversial as now there are more parties that can voice their objections. So in a way this is a good thing.

I would certainly prefer a coalition like this over a junta coalition. 

BJT are a disgrace, how can a party stand with no principles (i.e. we'll support whoever's supporting us), their whole platform is patronage (i.e. mates of mates), the weed and grab concepts were shams to say the least (I support both but belated stolen and misleading ideas from BJT)

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, perthuniversity said:

BJT are a disgrace, how can a party stand with no principles (i.e. we'll support whoever's supporting us), their whole platform is patronage (i.e. mates of mates), the weed and grab concepts were shams to say the least (I support both but belated stolen and misleading ideas from BJT)

I get what u say but you have to see it this way:

A bunch of stoners tricked thousands of carreer politicians into let them run a <deleted> country. It's absolutely genius 5d chess 😂 

It is so thai logicy that it could in fact only happen in thailand. 

If Thailand is forced back to a similar corrupt, fractious, multi party government as it had in the 90's, then it would be worth remembering just what the immediate outcome of that was.  Good for foreigners living here, but not so good for the country.

I can see the mouth from the south back on the streets with his "collection bags" before long.

• Like 1

More likelihood for Sudarat to step aside for Anutin than Prayut. Anutin exTRT banned for 5 years may have a bone to pick against the junta. He is close to Thaksin and also to the big guy on top. So far he kept his distance between Thaksin and Prayut wisely. Now that Newin the betrayal not the party chief, Anutin can set his own political course. He is already a very rich dude and money may not incentivize him but self esteem. I also think the 250 appointed senators can be “influenced” and may not vote on partisan line. Let’s see. 

• Like 1