Pheu Thai claims to have enough support to form post-election coalition

webfact

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

If the PTP coalition comes to fruition expect a full blown coup within the year.

They probably don't even need to make amcoup. There are enough traps in the new constitution for that, and they control all judiciary and semi-judiciary institutions, plus the Senate.

Actually, that's one aim of this constitution: allowing to make coups without coups!

They could be ousted for failing in the application of the 20 years plan, acting against harmony among people, threat to national security or whatever B.S. they can think of.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

The BJT is one of the most corrupt parties, and real mercenary. So it remains to be seen if the PTP can make a coalition. I for one would not mind a coalition like that but it would not be stable. FFW does not like corruption that much so it might break away (or risk losing its voters) if it gets too bad.

I would like to hope FFW keeps the goverment a bit more honest, plus if they are more honest there is less chance of the junta using it against them. A coalition like this would be good as it seriously weakens the power of the PTP compared to when they had more votes. This mean no stupid stunts like bringing Thaksin back or other things that are highly controversial as now there are more parties that can voice their objections. So in a way this is a good thing.

I would certainly prefer a coalition like this over a junta coalition. 

Good aspirations Rob. I guess we'll see how FF's leader shapes up. Whether he shares his family's close relationship with the Shins or not. If he doesn't then whether he can stand up to Thaksin and his PTP lackeys, their propensity for scams, frauds, and lying, and their usual corrupt practices.

Thaksin is a smart cookie though and might choose to ease off for a while until he thinks the times favorable for another go at a contrived amnesty. He miscalculated the last one badly and PTP support at the polls is less than half it was in 2011. He'll bide his time, for now.

7 hours ago, JAG said:

Well, he needs something to keep him busy, after all, he did fail to get a seat in parliament!

Oh, how I chuckled...

Indeedy. And it seems because of the new cap rule on party seats PTP won't get any partly list seats. So more old crony corrupt dinosaur's and thugs will be out too. ????

5 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

A bill that was already dead in the water you mean ? I think that groundhog day is only in your head. 

Wrong. If you research the subject carefully you'll find that there were several versions of the bill. When Yingluck promised the protester's all the versions had been killed, she lied. They all had except one. And the one that hadn't was, strangely enough, the one that had been illegally amended to favor her brother in particular. By killing the others and not that, they hoped to deceive people and new that all they then had to do was wait for the bill to come back into the lower house where it could be passed without the consent of the upper house. They gambled that they could do this without people realizing, checking etc. Their arrogance was too much in believing all their lies would always be believed. That's what really cost them and left them wide open to the coup once they lost control.

The coup would've happened under some other pretext but the Thaksin miscalculations on contriving his amnesty gave them the opportunity on a plate!

8 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

No! they will be in any new Junta ass licking government

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So you think Chalerm, and all the other old Shin crony fossils are gonna be given jobs as pro Junta party list MP's and made Ministers?

Well genius your're the only one who saw that one coming!

????

9 hours ago, harada said:

I can see the mouth from the south back on the streets with his "collection bags" before long.

image.jpeg.eea7078b7e36b1deaab90ea4ecc07e05.jpegimage.jpeg.24ecf07f33007c3b2a01c1d107a569ab.jpeg

To which of these two Surat Thani motor mouths are you referring?

Two good ole' southern boys

10 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I get what u say but you have to see it this way:

A bunch of stoners tricked thousands of carreer politicians into let them run a <deleted> country. It's absolutely genius 5d chess ???? 

It is so thai logicy that it could in fact only happen in thailand. 

May was propped up by the DUP, a racist, almost fascist party who don't represent the majority of people in N. Ireland. Personally, she's worse than any politician here. I don't think Brits have the right to criticise the political situation in Thailand when theirs is the laughing stock of the world. 

10 hours ago, perthuniversity said:

BJT are a disgrace, how can a party stand with no principles (i.e. we'll support whoever's supporting us), their whole platform is patronage (i.e. mates of mates), the weed and grab concepts were shams to say the least (I support both but belated stolen and misleading ideas from BJT)

isn't this just what May is doing with the DUP 
In the UK

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The process has to work itself out.  Thais need to vote and be able to talk about politics without fear.  Lived in Malaysia.  There it took years to vote out the corrupt, but it happened the right way. 

Have heard this "good for foreigners bad for Thais" mantra a few times from Thais.  One should have nothing to do with the other.  No other countries in Asia seem to have these preconceived issues. 

In my years in Thailand, since 1989, the time of greatest negative change has been within the last five years: sense of hopelessness, cultural degrade and a clear feeling of sheer boredom.

I don't think Brits have the right to criticise politics in Thailand when what's going on in the UK government is the laughingstock of the world

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Wrong. If you research the subject carefully you'll find that there were several versions of the bill. When Yingluck promised the protester's all the versions had been killed, she lied. They all had except one. And the one that hadn't was, strangely enough, the one that had been illegally amended to favor her brother in particular. By killing the others and not that, they hoped to deceive people and new that all they then had to do was wait for the bill to come back into the lower house where it could be passed without the consent of the upper house. They gambled that they could do this without people realizing, checking etc. Their arrogance was too much in believing all their lies would always be believed. That's what really cost them and left them wide open to the coup once they lost control.

The coup would've happened under some other pretext but the Thaksin miscalculations on contriving his amnesty gave them the opportunity on a plate!

you are economical with the facts. At the time of the coup Yingluck already dissolved the house. The amnesty bill as a direct result became dead in the water. Regardless of any imagined or real bills, with the lower house dissolved, no bill can logically be passed. The poster I responded too, is trying to sell the illusion that the coup happened because of this amnesty bill, whilst in fact it was IMPOSSIBLE for that bill to be passed with the lower house gone. 

Of course any real or imagined bill could be passed into the lower house only AFTER a renewed mandate. Note renewed mandate, something the Junta knows nothing about, they just grabbed power by the barrel of the gun, and stacked the cards in their favour this time around under the disguise of "democracy". Only a few lost souls really believe their antics. 

The coup did not happen because of the amnesty bill, after all Prayuth and CO seem to love amnesties, considering they provided themselves one that is far more reaching and done so without any mandate whatsoever. The coup happened to take control of Thailand and sidestep the electorate, and everything they have done so far is absolute proof of this fact, including last Sunday's rigged election..

The amnesty bill gave Suthep the excuse to take to the streets. It was withdrawn but he just changed the cause to be one of 'reform'.  He could never have taken to the streets though without that foolish bill 

Regarding forming a government. The Democrats have refused to join PT which means they join Prayuth. With Chart Thai Pattaya and Bhumjai Thai, the junta may have enough seats.

5 minutes ago, bannork said:

The amnesty bill gave Suthep the excuse to take to the streets. It was withdrawn but he just changed the cause to be one of 'reform'.  He could never have taken to the streets though without that foolish bill 

Regarding forming a government. The Democrats have refused to join PT which means they join Prayuth. With Chart Thai Pattaya and Bhumjai Thai, the junta may have enough seats.

Suthep didn't stage a coup. Suthep lost any credibility when he demanded reform before elections.

In any case, what they got instead is Prayuth's amnesty. But I guess, one amnesty is ok, because he is one of the good guys right ? The rest of the world would call it hypocritical or downright dishonest. Any moral high ground has been taken right away and the cure is most definitely leagues worse than the disease. There is no doubt (except by a few coup mongers completely ignoring reality). 

Meanwhile, thousands of country folk are cobbling together their camping gear and looking at updated maps of Lumpini Park (and what's that new park real close to Lumpini- does it have any shade to pitch a tent under?)

32 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Suthep didn't stage a coup. Suthep lost any credibility when he demanded reform before elections.

In any case, what they got instead is Prayuth's amnesty. But I guess, one amnesty is ok, because he is one of the good guys right ? The rest of the world would call it hypocritical or downright dishonest. Any moral high ground has been taken right away and the cure is most definitely leagues worse than the disease. There is no doubt (except by a few coup mongers completely ignoring reality). 

Without Suthep's Bangkok Shutdown there was no excuse for a coup, his chief minions have been well rewarded with posts in Prayuth's government. Thaksin blundered with the amnesty bill, the pretext for Suthep's protest, just as he did with the proposal for Princess Ubolratana. How many seats did he lose with no Thai Raksa Chart?

Just now, bannork said:

Without Suthep's Bangkok Shutdown there was no excuse for a coup, his chief minions have been well rewarded with posts in Prayuth's government. Thaksin blundered with the amnesty bill, the pretext for Suthep's protest, just as he did with the proposal for Princess Ubolratana. How many seats did he lose with no Thai Raksa Chart?

That we will never know. Suthep's Bangkok shutdown was well and truly over and lost a lot of momentum when the coup was staged, they simply didn't need an excuse, those elections were never allowed to happen, right from the judiciary to the EC, everything to prevent the electorate from making a choice. Instead now we have this charade that tries to legitimize a coup five years later, nobody is buying it though. 

15 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

That we will never know. Suthep's Bangkok shutdown was well and truly over and lost a lot of momentum when the coup was staged, they simply didn't need an excuse, those elections were never allowed to happen, right from the judiciary to the EC, everything to prevent the electorate from making a choice. Instead now we have this charade that tries to legitimize a coup five years later, nobody is buying it though. 

Unfortunately it seems a lot of the voting public have bought it. Some grassroots like the  populist policies of PPFP and some middle class have turned to them rather than the Dems, fearing the return of Thaksin's party.

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

Unfortunately it seems a lot of the voting public have bought it. Some grassroots like the  populist policies of PPFP and some middle class have turned to them rather than the Dems, fearing the return of Thaksin's party.

Yes, of course it is certain that the pre-election promise of Abisit to not support Prayuth will be scrapped, and the democrats will simply support him. And my bet is, that they would even do it if abisit was still there. Maybe the dems believe their number should be even lower next time, who knows....

It's a shame. Finally the democrats had a chance to show some backbone and joining the pro democracy camp, but they already ruled it out. They never learn. Backing Prayuth is simply the wrong choice, firstly because of their promise, secondly because of their name. Maybe they should rename themselves to what they really are. 

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

you are economical with the facts. At the time of the coup Yingluck already dissolved the house. The amnesty bill as a direct result became dead in the water. Regardless of any imagined or real bills, with the lower house dissolved, no bill can logically be passed. The poster I responded too, is trying to sell the illusion that the coup happened because of this amnesty bill, whilst in fact it was IMPOSSIBLE for that bill to be passed with the lower house gone. 

Of course any real or imagined bill could be passed into the lower house only AFTER a renewed mandate. Note renewed mandate, something the Junta knows nothing about, they just grabbed power by the barrel of the gun, and stacked the cards in their favour this time around under the disguise of "democracy". Only a few lost souls really believe their antics. 

The coup did not happen because of the amnesty bill, after all Prayuth and CO seem to love amnesties, considering they provided themselves one that is far more reaching and done so without any mandate whatsoever. The coup happened to take control of Thailand and sidestep the electorate, and everything they have done so far is absolute proof of this fact, including last Sunday's rigged election..

What I said precisely was Yingluck's amnesty bill to bring her brother back is what triggered the protests, which is true. What followed was a series intertwined events the lead to the coup, which is also true. I did not say that the coup was caused by the amnesty bill itself. I don't question your facts and figures, who voted, for what, who protested, when etc. but those are details. A deeper river runs under events in Thailand. For certain, the coup was not independent of Thaksin and Yingluck's machinations, which seems to be the wares that you are trying to sell.

25 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Yes, of course it is certain that the pre-election promise of Abisit to not support Prayuth will be scrapped, and the democrats will simply support him. And my bet is, that they would even do it if abisit was still there. Maybe the dems believe their number should be even lower next time, who knows....

It's a shame. Finally the democrats had a chance to show some backbone and joining the pro democracy camp, but they already ruled it out. They never learn. Backing Prayuth is simply the wrong choice, firstly because of their promise, secondly because of their name. Maybe they should rename themselves to what they really are. 

Yeah pretty pathetic and rather than show some balls their leader resigns.

14 minutes ago, rabas said:

What I said precisely was Yingluck's amnesty bill to bring her brother back is what triggered the protests, which is true. What followed was a series intertwined events the lead to the coup, which is also true. I did not say that the coup was caused by the amnesty bill itself. I don't question your facts and figures, who voted, for what, who protested, when etc. but those are details. A deeper river runs under events in Thailand. For certain, the coup was not independent of Thaksin and Yingluck's machinations, which seems to be the wares that you are trying to sell.

Oh wait, no of course they aren't independent. The main gripe is their electoral success. And that is really all that matters. Control of Thailand is what matters, the coup was staged to get it back from the electorate, and as the constitution proves, they have no intention to give it back, at least not until either a backdoor is found or people get fed up with the charade that is currently playing out. 

Archived