Future Forward outlines pre-conditions in joining coalition

webfact

Future Forward outlines pre-conditions in joining coalition

666.jpg

The Future Forward party has set three pre-conditions to be agreed before the party will join the anti-junta alliance in forming a coalition government.

The three pre-conditions include amending the 2017 Constitution to allow for a new constitution drafting committee, deleting Section 279 of the existing Constitution which provides protection and endorsement of all executive orders issued by the head of the National Council for Peace and Order, and reform of the military to place it under civilian government’s control in line with democratic rule.

Party leader Thanakorn Juangroongruangkit told a press conference Monday that the party would not nominate him as prime minister in the post-election government, but would support Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, a Pheu Thai party prime ministerial candidate. He stressed that Pheu Thai won the most House seats and should lead the formation of a coalition government.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/future-forward-outlines-pre-conditions-in-joining-coalition/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-03-26

Not familiar with Thai politics but his demands make sense. May be he is trying to establish a real democracy in Thailand. Good luck to him. I think Pheu Thai and FFP should join for the coalition government. That will give hope for the rural people and the youth of the country. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

I hope he gets the defense minister portfolio if PTP and coalition form the government. Love to see him go after the military. He seem the real deal 

Yes he really seems like the real deal, may he take more and more votes from the PTP (and others)  and may a true good party appear.

He talks the game that is for sure, now watch his actions and see if he is not afraid to stand up to corruption if it appears in the coalition. 

Going after the military is a good thing too.. make sure they stay in line.

From all the signs he finally seems the guy who could lead Thailand out of this huge mess in which Thaksin, Suthep and the Military put it.

I wish he can gain more support and continue to show he really cares about democracy, rule of law, and clean politics. I can only hope after all.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes he really seems like the real deal, may he take more and more votes from the PTP (and others)  and may a true good party appear.

He talks the game that is for sure, now watch his actions and see if he is not afraid to stand up to corruption if it appears in the coalition. 

Going after the military is a good thing too.. make sure they stay in line.

I have no doubt a deal has already been made by PTP and FFP. However, the things he wants will not happen. The constitution is drafted in such a way that these things will simply never get past the senate. 

Exactly what Thailand needs and the military hates.  Actually general cha cha running has opened the military to even greater scrutiny.  If Thailand does not revert back to a banana republic after this, I foresee it losing its endorsements from some of the most powerful in Thailand, and it is about time.  The last coup leaders were far better than the buffoons running the country in this most recent coup.

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I have no doubt a deal has already been made by PTP and FFP. However, the things he wants will not happen. The constitution is drafted in such a way that these things will simply never get past the senate. 

Sure it will be hard to get things past the senate, but lets wait and see how things go. Anyone believing that ending conscription and so on would be easy is dreaming. But at least its his intention and not some crazy populist policy costing the country money.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure it will be hard to get things past the senate, but lets wait and see how things go. Anyone believing that ending conscription and so on would be easy is dreaming. But at least its his intention and not some crazy populist policy costing the country money.

Thailand will simply be ungoverneable with this constitution in place. And if you care to research the preconditions for changing it, it is incredibly hard to do so. With Prayuth's party having around 100 seats give or take, absolutely impossible. 

To be honest, I understand why the constitution was drafted the way it was. If anyone expect a government (of any color) from effectively governing Thailand, this constitution made that impossible. Even if Prayuth can employ the 250 senators to become the next PM, his government very likely will be teethless. 

Unless of course the EC finds a way to allocate another 130 or so seats to his party, they apparently have until may 9 so plenty of time ????

13 minutes ago, henry15 said:

His uncle was minister of  industry in the Yingluck government. Therefore. I don't trust him

I had several uncles I disliked, never trusted and who all hated my choices in life. So what?

Thanakorn Juangroongruangkit is holding with his party line. These are some of the first and most strident policies he announced back when he became involved. I would hazard a guess that he is prepared to play a long game and wait out the government. He is young enough to wait till a few die off and then make a move, remember the young members of the proposed government are in their 60's. 

2 hours ago, henry15 said:

His uncle was minister of  industry in the Yingluck government. Therefore. I don't trust him

His uncle was the minister of transport, which he dislike due to corruption of a project back in the 90s. His family has been a long time supporter of Thaksin actually. But he is very different, I would give this guy a chance he is the best hope for Thailand as long as the coalition he forms with PTP does not veer of into Thaksin this or Thaksin that again. Thaksin cannot be pardon back, this would create chaos in the society again.

At the same time, Thanathorn is still very inexperience, he has a lot to learn before he can punch above his weight. Asking for deleting Section 279 of the existing Constitution, is not realistic, that is what the general put in place to give them immunity. He is expecting too much too fast, he will be burnt out before he knows it.

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

At the same time, Thanathorn is still very inexperience, he has a lot to learn before he can punch above his weight. Asking for deleting Section 279 of the existing Constitution, is not realistic, that is what the general put in place to give them immunity. He is expecting too much too fast, he will be burnt out before he knows it.

Yes, the children have their dreams.

This is not meant to be negative as the new generation has to take over, but.

Archived