BANGKOK 19 April 2019 09:30
nicoloideon

Work Permit Cancellation Process

Hi,

May I know what is the Work Permit Cancellation process?
I've searched about it and found so many answers.

Anyone can let me know what is the up to date process?
Can I cancel it by myself or I need an employee from my company to cancel it with me?

I understand that after my work permit is cancelled, I must go to the immigration and cancel the extension of stay, and I will be given until midnight until I leave the country or pay 1,900THB for 7 days extension.

If possible, can you let me know which forms I would need to cancel the work permit as well?

Thanks

You can cancel it yourself. You need nothing, or no one from the company. Take your passport, your Work permit, and go to your Dept. of Labour Office. Then take the receipt, which they will give you, to Immigration. Keep that receipt for yourself for future use (as proof of the cancellation.)

Are there any forms and documents that I need?

I read in some posts on the web that in order to cancel the work permit. I need the letter from my employer that it is my last day and I must go to the labor department with our HR?

Can anyone confirm this?

Posted (edited)

You have the option of downloading a form.If you walk in without one, the clerk will give you one.  As I said above, you need nothing from your employer. But take your passport. They do want to verify your identity.

Edited by allane
x

New rule at Phuket Labour Office:

Only the employer may cancel the work permit, the employee not allowed to do this anymore.

5 minutes ago, ThaiMeerkat said:

New rule at Phuket Labour Office:

Only the employer may cancel the work permit, the employee not allowed to do this anymore.

Who told you about this "new rule"?

i believe you then have 7 days to leave the country.

41 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

i believe you then have 7 days to leave the country.

Only if you apply for an extension pay the 1900 baht fee and then be granted 7 days to leave the country.

The free 7 days went away years ago unless you are working for a company that qualifies for you to use the immigration one stop center.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:45 PM, ThaiMeerkat said:

The person dealing with work permit cancellations at the labour office.

Does this new rule apply in Pathumthani Immigration Office as well?

Can anyone confirm if I can cancel my work permit by myself or I need my employer to be with me.

Pathumthani Immigration Office 

2 minutes ago, nicoloideon said:

Can anyone confirm if I can cancel my work permit by myself or I need my employer to be with me.

Pathumthani Immigration Office 

Immigration has nothing to do with work permits.

They are issued by the Department of Employment of the Labor Ministry. As far as I know there is no written rule that states the employer has to be with you when you cancel it.

Hi Ubonjoe,

Thank you. I will try to cancel it by myself first then.
After the cancellation, am I obliged to go to the Immigration office to cancel my extension of stay as well?

36 minutes ago, nicoloideon said:

After the cancellation, am I obliged to go to the Immigration office to cancel my extension of stay as well?

Either that or leave the country. Best to do it if you plan on working here again.

You need a termination letter stating the date your job ends to do the cancelation. Immigration will postdate the cancelation if you go in a few days before the date on the letter.