Work Permit Cancellation Process

Hi,

May I know what is the Work Permit Cancellation process?
I've searched about it and found so many answers.

Anyone can let me know what is the up to date process?
Can I cancel it by myself or I need an employee from my company to cancel it with me?

I understand that after my work permit is cancelled, I must go to the immigration and cancel the extension of stay, and I will be given until midnight until I leave the country or pay 1,900THB for 7 days extension.

If possible, can you let me know which forms I would need to cancel the work permit as well?

Thanks

You can cancel it yourself. You need nothing, or no one from the company. Take your passport, your Work permit, and go to your Dept. of Labour Office. Then take the receipt, which they will give you, to Immigration. Keep that receipt for yourself for future use (as proof of the cancellation.)

Are there any forms and documents that I need?

I read in some posts on the web that in order to cancel the work permit. I need the letter from my employer that it is my last day and I must go to the labor department with our HR?

Can anyone confirm this?

You have the option of downloading a form.If you walk in without one, the clerk will give you one.  As I said above, you need nothing from your employer. But take your passport. They do want to verify your identity.

Edited by allane
x

41 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

i believe you then have 7 days to leave the country.

Only if you apply for an extension pay the 1900 baht fee and then be granted 7 days to leave the country.

The free 7 days went away years ago unless you are working for a company that qualifies for you to use the immigration one stop center.

2 minutes ago, nicoloideon said:

Can anyone confirm if I can cancel my work permit by myself or I need my employer to be with me.

Pathumthani Immigration Office 

Immigration has nothing to do with work permits.

They are issued by the Department of Employment of the Labor Ministry. As far as I know there is no written rule that states the employer has to be with you when you cancel it.

36 minutes ago, nicoloideon said:

After the cancellation, am I obliged to go to the Immigration office to cancel my extension of stay as well?

Either that or leave the country. Best to do it if you plan on working here again.

You need a termination letter stating the date your job ends to do the cancelation. Immigration will postdate the cancelation if you go in a few days before the date on the letter.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I need some help for my extension and WP.
I’m currently on extension based on employment, it’s valid until 26 NOV 2021. My WP valid until MAR 2022.

I would like to change my “extension based on employment” to “extension based on marriage”. (I’m women foreigners married to a Thai Nationality)

The officer asked if my job was terminated. If not I can’t change the extension. If I would like to change it to extension based on marriage, they request the resignation letter from me also the receipt of canceling my WP. I wish to keep my WP as I still hope that my company gonna reopen soon. I’m actually confused about the terminated visa letter is that actually means you’re resign? Or I’m actually can request my company give me this letter but I’m still a contracted employee?

10 hours ago, Jocelyn0918 said:

The officer asked if my job was terminated. If not I can’t change the extension. If I would like to change it to extension based on marriage, they request the resignation letter from me also the receipt of canceling my WP. I wish to keep my WP as I still hope that my company gonna reopen soon. I’m actually confused about the terminated visa letter is that actually means you’re resign? Or I’m actually can request my company give me this letter but I’m still a contracted employee?

You need a letter from your employer requesting your extension based upon working be canceled on a specific date. Then on or before that day you would have to apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

You can still have a work permit and work if married to a Thai.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You need a letter from your employer requesting your extension based upon working be canceled on a specific date. Then on or before that day you would have to apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

You can still have a work permit and work if married to a Thai.

I’m worry they still ask me to pass up the receipt of canceling WP even I’m showing them the letter for canceling my visa.

Is that the letter for canceling visa means I have resign from my company?

After apply the new extension, do I need to report to the Labour Department about my extension?

2 hours ago, Jocelyn0918 said:

I’m worry they still ask me to pass up the receipt of canceling WP even I’m showing them the letter for canceling my visa.
Is that the letter for canceling visa means I have resign from my company?

After apply the new extension, do I need to report to the Labour Department about my extension?

You would not need to prove the work permit was canceled since you are allowed one if married to a Thai and you would be applying for a extension on that day.

No need to be resigning from your job to cancel your current extension. 

You would need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate to the Department of Employment office where you applied for the work permit.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not need to prove the work permit was canceled since you are allowed one if married to a Thai and you would be applying for a extension on that day.

No need to be resigning from your job to cancel your current extension. 

You would need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate to the Department of Employment office where you applied for the work permit.

I’m sorry, I hope that I have a better understanding of what you are talking about.  Do you mean I have to ask the company to cancel my extension and work permit? By canceling this it doesn’t mean resign from my company? 

3 minutes ago, Jocelyn0918 said:

I’m sorry, I hope that I have a better understanding of what you are talking about.  Do you mean I have to ask the company to cancel my extension and work permit? By canceling this it doesn’t mean resign from my company? 

I forgot the not in my post. It corrected now. You do not need to cancel your work permit.

You do not have to resign from your job to have your extension canceled. 

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I forgot the not in my post. It corrected now. You do not need to cancel your work permit.

You do not have to resign from your job to have your extension canceled. 

Ok. Thank you for your fast response. It’s mean all I need is a letter canceling my extension from my company. And I don’t need to do anything with my WP. I just need the cancellation letter and pass up all the documents requirements for extension based on marriage? Do you have any idea if the immigration will ask for the receipt of canceling my WP?

39 minutes ago, Jocelyn0918 said:

Do you have any idea if the immigration will ask for the receipt of canceling my WP?

You do not have to cancel you work permit since your are married to a Thai and will be applying for a extension based upon marriage to a Thai on the same day your extension is canceled.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not have to cancel you work permit since your are married to a Thai and will be applying for a extension based upon marriage to a Thai on the same day your extension is canceled.

Okay.. thank you so much for your information. I wonder is this only happened on this island (Samui). I try to research more. What I get is I don’t need to quit my job. But the officer did ask me to show them my resignation paper also the termination receipt of my WP. 

13A77AE3-C991-410E-A6A8-E0914D447016.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jocelyn0918 said:

Okay.. thank you so much for your information. I wonder is this only happened on this island (Samui). I try to research more. What I get is I don’t need to quit my job. But the officer did ask me to show them my resignation paper also the termination receipt of my WP. 

That only happens if you do not qualify for a work permit after canceling your extension. 

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That only happens if you do not qualify for a work permit after canceling your extension. 

Do not qualify? I actually own a Non O visa extension based on marriage on 2018. Then I get another visa in the same year because I got a job. And applying Non B from my residence country.  By that time I didn’t know I’m actually legal to work with this extension based on marriage.

Since then I enter Thai with Non B with an extension based on employment till now. 
And my company remain closed until further notice. IO & agent request under table which out of my budget and I would like to change my extension while hold my WP since the due is Mar 2022. But then I went to IO last week I was told I need the resignation paper. If I still employed, I can’t change the reason of stayed. 

8 minutes ago, Jocelyn0918 said:

Do not qualify? I actually own a Non O visa extension based on marriage on 2018. Then I get another visa in the same year because I got a job. And applying Non B from my residence country.  By that time I didn’t know I’m actually legal to work with this extension based on marriage.

Since then I enter Thai with Non B with an extension based on employment till now. 
And my company remain closed until further notice. IO & agent request under table which out of my budget and I would like to change my extension while hold my WP since the due is Mar 2022. But then I went to IO last week I was told I need the resignation paper. If I still employed, I can’t change the reason of stayed. 

You will be changing the reason for your extension from working to one based upon being married to a Thai. 

You do not need a resignation letter. Your just need a letter from your employer requesting your extension be canceled so you can apply for extension based upon marriage to a Thai that allows you to have a work permit and work.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will be changing the reason for your extension from working to one based upon being married to a Thai. 

You do not need a resignation letter. Your just need a letter from your employer requesting your extension be canceled so you can apply for extension based upon marriage to a Thai that allows you to have a work permit and work.

Ok. Thank you so much for your information. I’m gonna give it a try again. 

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

About the date of the letter from my employer requesting my extension be canceled. Can I request the date in “future date” and I apply this new extension before the “future date” at the immigration? Or I have to wait the date getting closed and request a temporary visa on the same day?

2 minutes ago, Jocelyn0918 said:

About the date of the letter from my employer requesting my extension be canceled. Can I request the date in “future date” and I apply this new extension before the “future date” at the immigration? Or I have to wait the date getting closed and request a temporary visa on the same day?

The cancelation letter could be dated for a later date. 

There in no visa you can apply for. You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your husband if you need more time.