Video: Much debate as big biker hits pick-up after "tow truck" goes the wrong way

webfact

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tow truck 100% to blame, whether he had a siren on, lights flashing, he had no right going against the traffic.

agree and it looks like the shoulder is not nearly wide enough to accomodate a vehicle going in the wrong direction. had it been me in the black pickup i would have slowed upon seeing the tow truck.

little to no concept of safety to most of society

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, robblok said:

Indeed 100% blame on the tow truck, absolutely no reason for them to go against traffic. These clowns think they can do as they please.

Pls don't be so judge-able - to understand the driving rules education is necessary ... :coffee1:

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

he was in a different lane, do you slow down when you are in the right lane and anyone in the left slows?

Hell yes.  In Thailand, no matter what lane you are in, when you see brake lights (assuming they have brake lights that work) you better be slowing down, getting ready to swerve/make an evasive maneuver, jam on your brakes, pray, and/or all of the above.  

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

To me it was clear that the truck on the left had his brake lights on as did the truck in the right lane. However, watching the biker's hands, he made no move to gear down (or brake) despite the path ahead clearly being blocked.

I'm guessing he was probably thinking he'd just dart between the black truck and the white truck  and then squeeze past the cargo truck, without slowing down at all.

Personally I would have been slowing down well before as it was obvious there was congestion ahead. However, in this case he'd have probably still hit the truck as it happened so fast and so close to him.

And just because someone has their "flashies" on doesn't mean they can ram their way through traffic. The tow truck driver should be held responsible for ALL the damage (and injuries).
(And yes, I am a "big bike" rider, as well as a former Driving Instructor (Military) and Defensive Driving Instructor.)

The most sensible post on this thread. The rider IMHO was not showing much sign of defensive riding. Road looks to be slippy surface and congestion with vehicle changing lane ahead would all be indicators to exercise more caution. I also tend to ride with my fingers covering the front brake lever - this guys r\h fingers looked to be twitching a bit as if he had a feeling something was about to go down - but he was into the black truck before he even had his fingers properly over the lever. However all that being said it happened so quickly that I doubt he would ever have avoided it entirely - shit happens.. Calling him a cretin is overly harsh, but he could certainly have mitigated it to some degree.

The only one worthy of being called a cretin in all of this is the tow truck driver.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Indeed 100% blame on the tow truck, absolutely no reason for them to go against traffic. These clowns think they can do as they please.

Well they can do as they please. Just at the point where immigration are looking at harsher penalties for those pesky foreigners for not reporting their whereabouts locals drive the wrong way up the road and cause accidents like this. there has never been enforcement of the laws on the road which is why Thailand has the worst death rate in the world. This country is becoming a joke and  every day more people seem to be realising and leaving. Me, I am counting the days when I finally leave this place, not long now.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

To me it was clear that the truck on the left had his brake lights on as did the truck in the right lane. However, watching the biker's hands, he made no move to gear down (or brake) despite the path ahead clearly being blocked.

I'm guessing he was probably thinking he'd just dart between the black truck and the white truck  and then squeeze past the cargo truck, without slowing down at all.

Personally I would have been slowing down well before as it was obvious there was congestion ahead. However, in this case he'd have probably still hit the truck as it happened so fast and so close to him.

And just because someone has their "flashies" on doesn't mean they can ram their way through traffic. The tow truck driver should be held responsible for ALL the damage (and injuries).
(And yes, I am a "big bike" rider, as well as a former Driving Instructor (Military) and Defensive Driving Instructor.)

I tend to agree with you. It is always hard to pick apart a short clip like that. 

The 6-wheeler looks like it is going around an obstacle - that's the first thing I'd pick up on. Brake lights and a turn signal on the black pick-up combine with the previous truck to make a clear case to brake. Assuming an identical starting point, I doubt I would have avoided the pick-up, but I would have been going slower after two visual cues.

However, the tow-truck is fully to blame. His front-right wheel is on the line at impact - almost a full car-width wider than he could have been, and way too far out to be considered careful or appropriate. Throw the book at the tow-car driver!

29 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

Hell yes.  In Thailand, no matter what lane you are in, when you see brake lights (assuming they have brake lights that work) you better be slowing down, getting ready to swerve/make an evasive maneuver, jam on your brakes, pray, and/or all of the above.  

You're on a two-lane highway at 90 km/h in the right-hand lane. Up ahead is a left turn into a smaller road. The car in front of you in the left-hand lane brakes. 

Do you slow down and stay behind that car all the way to the junction? Matching his speed as he slows to 30 or less to take the corner? Seriously? If you do, you are a major hazard.

bike was going too fast and was not driving defensively on an access road, where there are busses, pedestrians, and cars stopping and pulling out.  Tow had his flashers on, indicating caution.  Let them fight it out.

7 minutes ago, moontang said:

bike was going too fast and was not driving defensively on an access road, where there are busses, pedestrians, and cars stopping and pulling out.  Tow had his flashers on, indicating caution.  Let them fight it out.

he was keeping the same speed as the rest of the traffic,

your attempt to put the blame on the biker will not avail you

but you should do the equivalent of covering your brake, when you see tow lights or disabled vehicles on the side of the road.  There is always danger around a tow truck.  I worked at a Gulf station by the 95/495 interchange in Virginia..absolutely crazy.  We had the towing contract from the State Police.  The owner's son was hit by a drunk while hooking up a disabled vehicle.  I also was a CDL school bus driver, and had loads of defensive driving training.  When you rear end someone, it is your fault a very high percentage of time, even if the car you hit stopped suddenly in the acceleration lane.  There are usually laws regarding safe speed for circumstances, even if the posted speed is much higher.  And again, they were on the frontage road, as we would call it; nothing near a limited access freeway.  I am not going to analyze it, not my job, but would like to see his speed calculated.  I counted one mississippi from the brake lights.  Big trucks, big bikes..not really a secret what kind of guys drive them.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tow truck 100% to blame, whether he had a siren on, lights flashing, he had no right going against the traffic.

I do not know about Thailand, but I do not know of any country that gives a tow truck the same rights a emergency vehicles.

4 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

he was in a different lane, do you slow down when you are in the right lane and anyone in the left slows?

Yes because unless you have xray vision you do not know what they are slowing down for. Someone I know killed a guy on a bicycle because the car in front of him slowed down the guy I know went to the left lane and hit the bicycle as they both cleared the car slowing down. Bicycle guy at fault but still no one wants to kill someone else

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Difficult but the black truck does have his right turn signal on. The biker just thought he could squeeze through. 

That being said i am not sure he would have fared better if he had slowed down.

Was he following the 2 second rule?

8 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Yes because unless you have xray vision you do not know what they are slowing down for. Someone I know killed a guy on a bicycle because the car in front of him slowed down the guy I know went to the left lane and hit the bicycle as they both cleared the car slowing down. Bicycle guy at fault but still no one wants to kill someone else

Exactly!  And a few years ago, someone stopped in front of a canadian on a big bike in CM on the moat roads.  He gunned it to go around.  Turns out the guy had stopped for someone pushing a baby carriage,which he nailed, and left the scene.  Baby had brain damage.

Anyone else remember "don't get pinned in" from driver ed, or "always leave yourself an out."  He didn't have an out, was pinned in, yet still accelerating.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

I have to agree, the tow truck driver was obviously taking a short cut route.

He should have gone around and approached from the correct side/flow of traffic!

I hope the police hammer him for everything he's got!

Complete idiot !

Archived