Mixed Martial Arts-McGregor announces shock retirement

webfact

Mixed Martial Arts-McGregor announces shock retirement

2019-03-26T055827Z_1_LYNXNPEF2P0AO_RTROPTP_3_HOCKEY-NHL-BOS-CBJ.JPG

Mar 16, 2019; Boston, MA, USA; Irish mix martial artist Conor McGregor reacts after a first period goal by Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron (not seen) against the Columbus Blue Jackets at the TD Garden. Mandatory Credit: Brian Fluharty-USA TODAY Sports

(Reuters) - Irish mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Conor McGregor announced his retirement from the sport on Tuesday, five months after losing to Khabib Nurmagomedov in a controversial title fight in Las Vegas.

The 30-year-old retires with a record of 21 wins and four defeats. He is still suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for his part in a brawl that broke out after his bout with Nurmagomedov last October.

"Hey guys quick announcement, I've decided to retire from the sport formally known as "Mixed Martial Art" today," McGregor said on his official Twitter account https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/26/18281973/conor-mcgregor-tweets-hes-decided-to-retire-from-mma.

"I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition. I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement."

McGregor, who was never far from controversy in his turbulent career, was charged in April 2018 with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after police said he attacked a charter bus in New York carrying UFC fighters.

He was also arrested in Florida earlier this month in a separate incident after he smashed a fan's phone.

This marks the second time McGregor has announced on Twitter that he has "retired". A month after losing to Nate Diaz in March 2016 he said he had decided to "retire young", but returned to fight and beat the same opponent later that same year.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh and Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by Gopakumar Warrier/Peter Rutherford)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-26

Not really a shock, as he has had his day, having done very well Whether you like him or not he has brought a lot to the sport. He likes to party too hard, so his 'life span' is limited at his age.

He can make more money selling whiskey than getting thumped in the Octagon. Did a lot for the sport by bringing it into the forefront.

Can't complain that he realises he has had his best days.

He has something else to worry about:

Report: Police in Ireland investigating Conor McGregor over alleged sexual assault

Conor McGregor’s legal troubles may extend to his homeland of Ireland.

The New York Times on Tuesday, citing four people familiar with the investigation, reported that McGregor is under investigation by police in Ireland after a woman accused him of sexual assault in December.

Read more here:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2019/03/26/conor-mcgregor-investigated-ireland-over-sexual-assault-allegation-report/3279554002/

Report: McGregor under sexual assault inquiry

UFC star Conor McGregor is under investigation for an alleged sexual assault in his native Ireland, according to a report by The New York Times.

The New York Times reported on Tuesday that McGregor, 30, was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in December in Dublin, and was arrested and released after questioning the next month. He has not been formally charged with a crime; the investigation is ongoing.

Read more here:  http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/26365820/report-mcgregor-sexual-assault-inquiry

No wonder he has announced his "retirement".

On 3/26/2019 at 12:26 AM, Berkshire said:

These guys will announce retirement and then return to fighting without a second thought.  If Floyd Mayweather offers McGregor a payday of $100 mil, I guarantee this dude will be back.  

Floyd. Talk about the most boring boxer to watch, in the past few decades. All defense. Granted, it worked to secure him his victories. But, at what cost to the sport?

Archived