Returning from UK Holiday TM30 Requirements

I am a British Citizen married and living in our own house in Udonthani which I have a Superficies for life (obtained a long time ago) registered on the Title Deed and I also have a Yellow House Book. On the 28th June we arrive back in Suvarnabhumi Airport from a UK holiday and we will stay then 1 night in the Airport Novotel Hotel to relax before travelling back to Udonthani on the 29th June. My question is do we still need to fill out a TM30 form. or is it sufficient that the Hotel does this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Lived in UT for 18 years at same address, the last 7 after retiring on a marriage extension. Filled in a TM30 when my work ended and I changed to an extension based on marriage. Been out of the country numerous times since (using the same passport) as well as staying in Thai hotels from time to time. Never been asked by Udon Thani immigration at the time of my yearly extension application as to why I never re-filed a TM30 or for that matter never been questioned about not doing so since the original one 7 years ago.

1 hour ago, vibration said:

My question is do we still need to fill out a TM30 form. or is it sufficient that the Hotel does this?

The hotel are supposed to report your stay, and when you arrive back home someone is supposed to report your arrival/stay.

Your movements are tracked by someone reporting your arrival at every property you stay at. However, the strict enforcement of this law varies between offices.

• Like 2

Yes you have to do it. At arrival from a holiday out of Thailand you will receive a new arrival card with a new number. This number has to be written on your TM47 (90d report). So at immigration they can see, without any problem, you left the country. To avoid problems you better go to immigration and make a new TM30. As written: all offices are different but this is the rule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pogal said:

What is this about if you stay away from home for less than 14 days you don't need to do it? 

That may of been stated at one immigration office but there is no written rule for it.

Every office has their own policies about TM30 reporting. Many state you only need to do a report if you change addresses.

We to have yellow book as well as Thai Id card issued with yellow book as we always come back to the address in the yellow book have never been asked to fill in TM30 when you fill in card on aircraft you have to put your address on it that would be the one on your yellow book I would assume . I often ask myself where the hell all this paperwork is stored by IMO there has to be a much better system than just wasting paper all the time .

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That may of been stated at one immigration office but there is no written rule for it.

Every office has their own policies about TM30 reporting. Many state you only need to do a report if you change addresses.

Hi Joe,

As a PR holder there is a written rule in the Red Police Book

Win

PR Book Win Res 13.jpg

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Is that not the TM28 form? When addresses change

• Forms for Aliens to Notify their Change of Address or Stay in a Province for more than 24 hours (TM.28)
  • Notification Form for House Master, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence where Aliens have stayed (TM.30)

If I am right, the information regarding registration and notification is in law articles 37 and 38.

That is just the law, as you already said every office has their own policy.

So they are not following the written rules. ???? Good, easier. CW not need them, until..

1 hour ago, donim said:

Is that not the TM28 form? When addresses change

• Forms for Aliens to Notify their Change of Address or Stay in a Province for more than 24 hours (TM.28)
  • Notification Form for House Master, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence where Aliens have stayed (TM.30)

If I am right, the information regarding registration and notification is in law articles 37 and 38.

That is just the law, as you already said every office has their own policy.

So they are not following the written rules. ???? Good, easier. CW not need them, until..

This is very confusing.  I see three different scenarios plus the differences in IOs.

1.  You stay in a different province for 25 hours 

2.  You travel outside of the country and come back after a period of time. 

3.  You actually fully move to a different address. 

With 1. you need a TM28 but not a TM30? or is that determined by the amount of time?

With 2. you need only a TM30? or is that determined by time?

With 3. you definitely need a TM30?

Or do I have this totally wrong?

10 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

With 1. you need a TM28 but not a TM30? or is that determined by the amount of time?

1. Not enforced. for TM28.

Maybe a TM30 if you stayed in a hotel that reported your stay and your office is one of the pedant ones that check a special database to see if you had been reported.

2. TM30 form at some offices. Others do not want one unless you move.

3. TM28 or a TM30 or both at some offices.

18 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

This is very confusing.  I see three different scenarios plus the differences in IOs.

Or do I have this totally wrong?

TM30 is to be submitted by the "housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed". If you own a condo or rent a place in your name, then you do have to report yourself. If you stay at your wife's house, she has to report you. If you stay at a hotel, the hotel has to report you

TM28 is to be submitted by the foreigner, but only in the case (if you are legally in Thailand) that you can't (*see below) stay at the place which you indicated on your arrival card.

* The law (Section 37 in the immigration act) says "can not" (also the original Thai law), so you only have to report if for example you wrote an address on the arrival card, and when you arrived there the hotel is full and you can't stay there, or the house burned down or similar. If you just don't want to stay at this place, there is no law which says you have to report this. This is of course kind of strange, and i have no idea why it's written like this, but that's how it is

Edited by jackdd

I own my condo and I'm on retirement a couple of years now. Last extension from Jomtien was about three weeks ago.

I never filled out such a TM30. I do my (rare) 90-days-report, I travel a lot inside Thailand, I'm frequently flying out. Never and nowhere was asked for the TM30. Until I read here I didn't even know it exists.

No clear rules and if there are, they're interpreted differently from immigration to immigration or even from IO to IO of the same office. What counts here and today is obsolete there and tomorrow. It may depend on the mood of these uniformed <removed>, it may depend on the weather or whatever. This is Thailand.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a derogatory comment

51 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I own my condo and I'm on retirement a couple of years now. Last extension from Jomtien was about three weeks ago.
I never filled out such a TM30. I do my (rare) 90-days-report, I travel a lot inside Thailand, I'm frequently flying out. Never and nowhere was asked for the TM30. Until I read here I didn't even know it exists.

Jomtien apparently from several posts I have seen does not require a new T30 form from those on long term extensions of stay if they return to the same address.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

TM30 is to be submitted by the "housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed". If you own a condo or rent a place in your name, then you do have to report yourself. If you stay at your wife's house, she has to report you. If you stay at a hotel, the hotel has to report you

TM28 is to be submitted by the foreigner, but only in the case (if you are legally in Thailand) that you can't (*see below) stay at the place which you indicated on your arrival card.

* The law (Section 37 in the immigration act) says "can not" (also the original Thai law), so you only have to report if for example you wrote an address on the arrival card, and when you arrived there the hotel is full and you can't stay there, or the house burned down or similar. If you just don't want to stay at this place, there is no law which says you have to report this. This is of course kind of strange, and i have no idea why it's written like this, but that's how it is

I don't own my condo BUT my lease specifically states that the owner gets the first TM30 and I am responsible for subsequent ones.  Mine isn't, but it is easy to imagine a situation where an absentee non-Thai and non-English speaking Chinese owner could not be expected to TM30s from afar. 

I have lived in Udon Thani for 9 years and have never done one, Been on extensions for 5 years. They just took the address i gave them at my first extension. As long as they have your current address on record, they do not care. I take a UK holiday every year. Never had a problem at 90 day reports or when doing extension. 

Of course, things could change, but local forums have never mentioned anyone being fined or even told off. Nice to have a sensible Immigration Office! If it ever happens, i will post it on Thaivisa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

Wrong.

S.37 (2); refers to any change of address, not just a change of the address given on an arrival card.

The law is not enforced for the majority of visitors. It only tends to be enforced for those on extensions of stay.

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

S.37 (2); refers to any change of address, not just a change of the address given on an arrival card. 

I didn't want anybody to get the impression that it's exclusively for the address on the arrival card, this was just one example.

I was explaining the strange "can not" in the law (which is not a translation error, in the Thai version it's the same), which means you only have to report a change of address using a TM28 if you can not stay at the place which you indicated before (by arrival card, TM28, or any other means)

If somebody stays at one place, but decides to move to another place, because he likes the other place more, he doesn't have to submit a TM28, because he could still stay at the first place, he just doesn't want

If the place where the person stays burns down so that he can not stay at this place anymore and thus has to move to another place, then he has to submit a TM28

• 3 weeks later...

First many thanks for all advice and feedback.

Today my wife went to do my 90 day report at Udonthani Immigration and she asked if when we return from holiday in the UK if it was necessery to fill out a TM30 form.

The Immigration Officer informed my wife that it is not necessary and that it is only required if we move permanently to a new address.

We are both glad for this advice given by Udonthani Immigration.

Good luck to all with eventual TM30 reporting.

• Like 2