RICHMAN POORMAN: the restaurant, End of an Era

LarryLEB

After doing my 90-day visit to Jomtien Immigration, my habit for years has been to then have lunch at Richman Poorman restaurant.

Today, I did my 90-day; but when I went for lunch, I was sad to see that Richman Poorman is no more.  The soi-side exterior wall has been removed with stools placed looking out over the soi.  The menu has been replaced.  The place is now open-air, no longer air conditioned.  All of the paraphernalia of the old place is gone:  the wall of license plates, gone; the chalkboard with the specials, gone; sports memorabilia, gone; our friendly proprietor, gone. 

My favourite lunch was only available a few times a year, but worth the wait:  the shaved prime rib au jus, served on a baguette.  Best coleslaw in town; wonderful pecan pie.

Do any of you readers have any information as to what happened?  If so, please post.  I hope that the former proprietor is well; he was always great fun to chat with.  Definitely the end of an era.

Thanks for the info.  I don't live down there but RMPM was one of my go-to places anytime I was down in the Patts/JT area.  I would have breakfast there every morning, I just loved the vibe. Smells and sounds from the kitchen as he and his staff worked the grill, cranking out all sorts of good stuff, Shit on a Shingle, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak and eggs.  Customers sat around chatting and laughing about sports, or whatever, over steaming mugs of brewed coffee, sharing sections of the newspaper.  It felt and sounded like a local diner joint in an American town/neighborhood where everybody mostly knows each other.  I really enjoyed that feeling, even if I wasn't a known local, he always gave us a friendly hello on arrival, and a "thanks for coming" on the way out. 

I was peripherally aware he was trying to sell the place, didn't know it was gone.  ????

16 minutes ago, SidJames said:

The yanks must be leaving port big time.

The young lad behind Big Kahuna has also jumped ship although the grub is still top notch by local standards.

Good luck to all & RMPM will really be missed 

So are the Brits. Simons café, on Soi 5, was my go to place for breakfast in the whole of Pattaya. Run by an English guy, he not only produced great English breakfasts but soled lots of English imports that you just can't get in Thailand. Bury Black Pudding being like gold dust here.

Some time ago, sold up to a fat old Indian who sits in a corner all day, chain smoking and glowering at the customers. Food is now dreadful.

It's descended from being the best place for breakfast to the worst. Would be greatful if anyone can recommend a good English breakfast in Jomtien.

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So are the Brits. Simons café, on Soi 5, was my go to place for breakfast in the whole of Pattaya. Run by an English guy, he not only produced great English breakfasts but soled lots of English imports that you just can't get in Thailand. Bury Black Pudding being like gold dust here.

Some time ago, sold up to a fat old Indian who sits in a corner all day, chain smoking and glowering at the customers. Food is now dreadful.

It's descended from being the best place for breakfast to the worst. Would be greatful if anyone can recommend a good English breakfast in Jomtien.

Boathouse?

Or a couple of the joints in soi 4

Just now, steve187 said:

pig and whistle

Have visited Pig and Whistle on Pattaya Soi7 for breakfast for a number of years. Back in the day had draught Stella and a very good breakfast. Tried the one in Jomtien recently, overall a good breakfast but the sausages were meh.

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Have visited Pig and Whistle on Pattaya Soi7 for breakfast for a number of years. Back in the day had draught Stella and a very good breakfast. Tried the one in Jomtien recently, overall a good breakfast but the sausages were meh.

thats strange myself and a friend both thought the jomtein sausages were really good.

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

thats strange myself and a friend both thought the jomtein sausages were really good.

Maybe I hit them on a bad day. Sausages were like paste inside, no texture, not much flavour. Like the cheap frozen sausages you get in the UK. If I can't find anywhere else, I'll try them again.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:09 PM, LarryLEB said:

Do any of you readers have any information as to what happened?

I believe the owner moved to the dark side and opened up another place there.  I have seen his posts on Facebook. Think he is running some sort of burger kitchen on wheels. 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:16 PM, Spidey said:

You could try The Continental Bakery. It is 100 Mtrs down the hill from the coach station. There is a very big choice of breakfasts. I thought it was good, though not outstandingly so.

The crumpets at Simons were one of the vilest breakfast products I have had the misfortune to eat.

It isnt exactly a "full English" but with a little imagination you can turn the Hotel Danmark buffet breakfast into a pretty good approximation. 190B

It is certainly the best value breakfast that I know of in Jomtien.

http://hoteldanmarkjomtienpattaya.com/restaurant.html

It may be heaving with assorted Scandinavians at this time of year though.

• 3 weeks later...

Eddy Behr and wife sold RMPM, building and all, after the changes with guesthouse permit enforcement. Last I heard he is on holiday in Ayutthaya. He has a new food truck called UP TO YOU and is actively looking for a new building to buy for a pub/rest. I think he would like to be situated closer to central Pattaya. Hope he finds a place because his smoked BBQ ribs were the best in town.

The Wolfhound on pratumnak soi 6 okay.  Check out the facebook page for the Up To You Food truck... looks good

Yes, he told me about the food truck, said it was going to be state of the art. I liked the food in RMPM , I used to live up the road from there. Had some lovely ribs, and good Christmas time menus. I enjoyed the air con myself, wouldn’t go there if it wasn’t opened up on the road, which is narrow, dirty, dusty and cars going up and down get blocked, plus a bunch of motor bike taxis. Nothing works round the area. Hardly any friendly places left.

Here is a posting Ed (I presume) put on FB today

Hello to all
It's been a month since we left Richman Poorman. Currently on a little holiday to Northern Thailand.
Upon returning we will be setting up a kiosk to sell Smoked BBQ and TEX MEX.
It is located 20 meters in off Thapaya Road. There is a Fruit Stand on one corner and Tinnies Pie Shop on the other.
Joy and Rueng will be running the show.

On April 18, 2019 at 5:24 AM, jwdub said:

Here is a posting Ed (I presume) put on FB today

Hello to all
It's been a month since we left Richman Poorman. Currently on a little holiday to Northern Thailand.
Upon returning we will be setting up a kiosk to sell Smoked BBQ and TEX MEX.
It is located 20 meters in off Thapaya Road. There is a Fruit Stand on one corner and Tinnies Pie Shop on the other.
Joy and Rueng will be running the show.

This is good news. I take it the location is at the beach end of Jomtien Complex. My guess is this place will have the best Tex/Mex and smoked bbq in town. Always top quality food out of Ed's kitchen.

I forgot the Name of the Place down Jomtien 2nd road.

If you go through the roundabout straight and follow 2nd rd after about a Kilometer on the right hand side near the Back Fabrik (German Bakery) who does also English Breakfast but uses German Sausages till Brexit comes.

But if you use the U-Turn in front of the Back Fabrik and drive back about 200 meter you will find the place.

Good English Breakfast and he uses fresh Mushrooms and no sloppy canned tomatoes.

Before I went frequently to Jolly's in Soi Buakao opposite Chaba Hut, but last year they increased the price to Pharmacy levels and the fresh mushrooms are exchanged for lousy 2 (yes two) canned ones.

And I asked a few times for some more mushrooms, still they ignored and gave TWO.

By one of the waitresses you need to pull with a set of pliers at her ar*e to get a smile in her face.

That's the last time Jolly's have seen me.. 

(even I am German but fresh Mushrooms are an essential part of a good English breakfast in a country where real button mushrooms cost a few hundred Baht)

• 4 weeks later...

Eddy just put on FaceBook that his new kiosk at Jomtien Complex opens this Friday, May 17th. Good luck to him and his family on this new venture. Best smoked BBQ ribs around.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived