BANGKOK 21 April 2019 09:12

This is still speculation, we don't have a really reliable source, so you don't have to panic yet

I was going through this news article, regarding several planned immigration changes by Big Joke: https://www.tnamcot.com/view/Ch_Yw8h

This sentence caught my attention:

การเข้าประเทศจะต้องมีวงเงินในบัญชีที่สูงขึ้นกว่าเดิมที่กำหนดไว้ 8 แสนบาท

My own translation, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong:

The required finances to enter Thailand will be raised to more than the previously required 800k baht (after this they also write about 6 months seasoning)

The "enter Thailand" part does of course not make much sense, probably the reporter got it wrong and it was related to the retirement extension, to stay in Thailand (and not entering)

This is supposed to be effective from 22nd April.

What do you think might the new required minimum amount be? 1 million? 1.6 million?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If true, I guess that means the immigration people are forecasting that inflation in Thailand will be so extreme in the near future that 800k a year or 65K per month won't be enough for a retiree to survive properly. I can't see any other justification for it. 

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)

I think and guess more than 800k means just that, 800k or more, the rest I can't read more than with Google and GFs help and more then or 6 months is mention yes, Hope someone that know good Thai can translate as this seems to be one more nail

Edited by INV

The words "investment" and "investors" is used in the same paragraph as the one quoted above. It seems that this new rule, if implemented, refers to those entering Thailand to do business.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

For someone like me who cooks the vast majority of my own food, has a DIY nature, and doesn't go bars more than once a month or so (to do anything more than people watch with friends and have a couple of beers),

One can cook in the USA also. An American breakfast cost 120BHT in a restaurant and can go up to 160BHT. I can do the same in the USA also in many places. I was just giving a comparison. It may be little cheaper but not that much.  I keep my food budget to 500BHT when I'm in Thailand (6-month) and $20 when I am in Benidorm. I have lived with a food budget of $25-$30 in London also. American breakfast in Bangkok's sukumvit soi 5 foodland cafe is still 60 BHT. They sell 100s of those and with thin margin they can still make a profit, I guess.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1