Idea to make money with a land ?

atchara

This is my favourite thread on this forum

You/we can learn a lot from him.

Nobody can give you quick and perfect advice to your conondru. It's a case of try and fail, BUt (hopefully) learn from your mistakes.  

7 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Rhubarb, it's seldom seen in the markets round here and you'd clean up. Make the most of it before the neighbours and relatives see how rich you're getting and copy your cunning plan. Thailand 4.0, hub of rhubarb.

I thought most rhubarb was grown in houses.

First spend some time to understand what the neighbors grow and can sell in that area. Second, understand how much effort and cost is involved. Thirdly decide are you doing to do the work or do you need others to do it. 

The easy way is to go with the flow. Doing something new will be expensive and unlikely to be supported by the village or find a market for the product.

2 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Marigold flowers?

We have a few farmers growing Marigolds, most grow no more than   1/4-1/2 rie ,wife' sister grew some once, problem is  the amount of chemicals used, mainly agaist aphids , which surprised me as Marigolds .are used in intercroping as an insect repelant,  and keepoing on top of weeds, also timeing some are amost now in flower, looking at the Songkram  market next month .

Perhaps a pond? Around my place many set a pond into the middle of the land. The pond has about 2m high "walls", with a gentle slop. The walls about 1.5m - 2m wide on the top, planted with bananas. The outside of the wall often has spices especially chilly.

The pond is mostly used for watering but obviously also for fish. I personally only plant stuff I like to eat myself, like tomatoes, cucumber, melons etc. I will mostly put up stuf that is care free, like lemons. When I will do this (probably starting next year), I build a small hut to stay sometimes over night, with the walls just being Maracuja plants (passion fruit). They grow quickly and look nice.

There is actually an agriculture fond set up by King Rama IX, which supports projects like this.

We have a few farmers growing Marigolds, most grow no more than   1/4-1/2 rie ,wife' sister grew some once, problem is  the amount of chemicals used, mainly agaist aphids , which surprised me as Marigolds .are used in intercroping as an insect repelant,  and keepoing on top of weeds, also timeing some are amost now in flower, looking at the Songkram  market next month .
They're spraying probably they don't know about the properties of marigold.
Or more likely told by the pesticides' salesman [emoji853]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

And how about the net return or income? Sister in law of my friend does it and I thought it's a great idea.
Until she told me that she has to deliver with her own car those flowers from near Korat to the wholesale market in Bangkok.
She thinks about the actual money from the sales but forgot about the gasoline cost! After I told her that she is losing money every time when she would drive there I received a grunting and stare of death with "farang don't understand" or "you think too much" [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Sell all the soil to anyone who'll  buy  it.

Your signature sums you up nicely.... The OP wants to make a go of it, not sell off the soil. 

Weed man..... Well, what can you expect from the piss takers on this site? Actually, Thailand is making Cannabidiol (CBD) legal for medical purposes.... However, unless you are a farmer you shouldn't be going into the farming business..... So on second thoughts, just smoke the weed.

Identify niche markets but make sure you have a buyer before you start something.

I'll assume as a foreigner you have a wider availability of plants and / or varieties than the average Thai farmer.

That can be your advantage.

For example today Sizzler had Rocket salad at its buffet, hardly seen in the Thai market. Lambs lettuce or Italian basil the same. It's not rocket science to grow these plants and assuming that you have a buyer such as Sizzlers purchasing department you could make decent money.

On 3/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, Enki said:

Perhaps a pond? Around my place many set a pond into the middle of the land. The pond has about 2m high "walls", with a gentle slop. The walls about 1.5m - 2m wide on the top, planted with bananas. The outside of the wall often has spices especially chilly.

The pond is mostly used for watering but obviously also for fish. I personally only plant stuff I like to eat myself, like tomatoes, cucumber, melons etc. I will mostly put up stuf that is care free, like lemons. When I will do this (probably starting next year), I build a small hut to stay sometimes over night, with the walls just being Maracuja plants (passion fruit). They grow quickly and look nice.

There is actually an agriculture fond set up by King Rama IX, which supports projects like this.

Best idea i have seen so far,if you do not have access to a lot of water forget about growing anything!!!You can sell the dirt they dig out or you can use it to level the land if needed.

Start growing your own food first and stay away from chemicals.Slowly improve the soil using your own leaves,grass,and anything else you can find to make compost.

You will feel healthier and learn as you go.We decided to forget about trying to sell anything and just make our 5 rai a small paradise.We use solar power for irrigation and we grow all of our own veggies and fruits.

We have some large trees for shade and today we are finishing a second small pond for fish.

I did not come here to work but to enjoy and enrich my life,so far so good.

5 hours ago, jvs said:

Best idea i have seen so far, [ ... ]

I did not come here to work but to enjoy and enrich my life,so far so good.

Thanx! So far I only have planted stuff like mentioned around my wife's house. (Around december) Melons and Tomatoes have first fruits already, I guess Cucumber comes soon too (I just mixed many seeds and made a few 1m x 1m small patches with them, and now they are ranking/growing up to 1m out of those patches. All planted from local plants, I mean, seeds from plants from the market).

The pond thing etc. at the earliest we start next year.

• 2 months later...

Archived