Sirisak likely to stay in another role

webfact

Sirisak likely to stay in another role

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

5258c133c2e9ad71766f0fe40f4b1de3.jpeg

Somyot Poompanpuang on his return home with Sirisak Yodyadthai, left.

Football Association of Thailand president Somyot Poompamuang says interim national coach Sirisak Yodyadthai is happy to be given any position with the team after they returned from China on Tuesday.

Thailand were no match for the 15-time Copa America champions who showed no mercy to the Thai side with a 4-0 demolition win in the China Cup in Nanning on Monday.

The Thai FA chief said he would now let Sirisak and assistant Choketawee Promrut take a break while he continues looking for a qualified candidate for the national coach position. However, he may need them for other jobs.

“I’ve never left behind anyone who used to work with me as long as they can still perform their duties well,” said Somyot upon his arrival in Bangkok. 

“They’ve done a good job [reaching the round of 16 in the Asian Cup and beating China last week]. They may help in other areas, if not as a coach or assistant, and they have agreed to do so.”

The FAT president explained he would love to keep both men in their jobs but he has to abide by the rules which requires national coaches and their assistants to have a pro licence and A licence respectively.

“We are obliged to international rules which we have to respect,” he said.

Sirisak said he had no qualms about being offered another position as long as he was still able to help the national team.

“Somyot and I even discussed about this before going to China. As long as I can help the team, I don’t mind any position I am assigned to,” Sirisak said.

The Thai players will have a long break before the four-team King’s Cup in June. Somyot said India and Vietnam were two of the others but the last team has yet to be confirmed.

“It’s our policy that if we are to organise an event, we will invite only teams with higher FIFA rankings than ours. We will choose only teams who can provide an opportunity for our team to learn and get experience,” Sonyot said.

He revealed that the last team would be either a big team in Asia or a team from Europe.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30366579

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-27

Archived