U.S. presses Thailand for 'expeditious' announcement of election results

webfact

U.S. presses Thailand for 'expeditious' announcement of election results

2019-03-24T122756Z_2_LYNXNPEF2N0F7_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ELECTION.JPG

Officials begin the process of counting ballots after polls closed, during the general election in Bangkok, Thailand, March 24, 2019. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department said on Tuesday that Washington looks forward to working with Thailand's newly elected government and pressed Bangkok to release the results of the weekend vote as soon as possible while investigating any irregularities.

"We stand with the Thai people in calling for the expeditious announcement of voting results and a fair and transparent investigation of any reported irregularities," State Department spokesman Robert Palladino told a news briefing.

"The United States looks forward to working with Thailand's newly elected government to advance values that bring our countries closer together, including democracy, security and prosperity for all citizens," he said.

(Reporting by Lesley Wroughton; Writing by David Alexander; Editing by Eric Beech)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-27

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People will slag off America's election credentials simply because they can't fathom why people voted Trump in 3 years back.

The USA are just doing what any friendly country can do here, almost a standard response.

In my opinion they should be more damning if the investigations clear the EC of any wrongdoing prematurely.

China is the problem here, they see no harm in what has been done & will continue throwing money Thailands way, and it'll continue to be gobbled up by those of the more crooked persuasion

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"The United States looks forward to working with Thailand's newly elected government to advance values that bring our countries closer together, including democracy, security and prosperity for all citizens," he said. 

Defiled democracy

Too much security of the wet blanket kind

There is prosperity for a very select few

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

I see no evidence of meddling or criticism in the US statement. Nothing out of the ordinary at all.

And here's the statement from the EU (from another article) just to prove this: “We look forward to the announcement of the election results as soon as possible. It is also important that any reported irregularities are resolved swiftly and transparently,” the EU said in a statement.

And since when has Thailand ever criticised or advised on the corrupt voting habits of US or China or EU or any country, ever.

Stick your noses in your own trough and leave other countries to sort out their own problems.

No one has the right to dictate to a sovereign country on how to run their domestic policy, especially voting habits unless that

country is posing an imminent threat. Thailand poses no threat to any country so how about you all shove off, to be polite.

4 hours ago, z42 said:

People will slag off America's election credentials simply because they can't fathom why people voted Trump in 3 years back.

The USA are just doing what any friendly country can do here, almost a standard response.

In my opinion they should be more damning if the investigations clear the EC of any wrongdoing prematurely.

China is the problem here, they see no harm in what has been done & will continue throwing money Thailands way, and it'll continue to be gobbled up by those of the more crooked persuasion

omg more Trump talk...

12 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I am not American but where does this statement interfere or meddle in Thai politics?

The criticism is very well justified given the disastrous election process and it’s many reported inconsistencies and outright reported / documented cheating!

Even official poll observers have labeled these elections as NOT free and fair!

Thais in the net do very much welcome this criticism by foreign governments acknowledging this election was a sham and the arrogance and stupidity of the useless EC who are nothing but junta puppets!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That may be but it is none of your business.

The Thai people are not unaware of what happened. They are not all happy. But foreign "advice" is not welcome.

And all this unwelcome advice lets Thai people believe that a country like China or Russia,

which does not criticise but only offers trade deals is far more welcome than constant meddling.

I say again, name one time that Thailand had said how corrupt some voting habits in EU or US is. Not once.

EU and US could do a lot to learn about diplomacy in SE Asia

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

I see no evidence of meddling or criticism in the US statement. Nothing out of the ordinary at all.

And here's the statement from the EU (from another article) just to prove this: “We look forward to the announcement of the election results as soon as possible. It is also important that any reported irregularities are resolved swiftly and transparently,” the EU said in a statement.

The unelected EU, all appointed what a bunch to tell others about democracy!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"We stand with the Thai people in calling for the expeditious announcement of voting results and a fair and transparent investigation of any reported irregularities," State Department spokesman Robert Palladino told a news briefing.

Well the New Zealand Thais will not be happy to hear that......

59 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

And since when has Thailand ever criticised or advised on the corrupt voting habits of US or China or EU or any country, ever.

Can you show where Thailand has any 'earned Right' to criticise any 'other' country???????? LOL .....

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Stick your noses in your own trough and leave other countries to sort out their own problems.

No one has the right to dictate to a sovereign country on how to run their domestic policy, especially voting habits unless that

country is posing an imminent threat. Thailand poses no threat to any country so how about you all shove off, to be polite.

I assume you know that Thailand and the United States have been close allies way back through several phases of history. In 1861 the then Thai King offered to send Abraham Lincoln some of his best white elephants to help defeat the Southern States on the battlefield in the US Civil War.

Sending white, weaponized elephants to interfere and sway the outcome of a purely domestic military conflict of a sovereign nation!  Don't you think it was none of Thailand's business?  Actually Lincoln was impressed but declined the offer because white elephants would stick out on the lush green battlefields.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

democracy, security and prosperity for all citizens,"

Well, you wish. 

Since decades it is all about prosperty, means power, of the two so called elites. The red and the yellow. 

16 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Can you show where Thailand has any 'earned Right' to criticise any 'other' country???????? LOL .....

And what country has  "earned right" to criticise Thailand.... 

55 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

And all this unwelcome advice lets Thai people believe that a country like China or Russia,

which does not criticise but only offers trade deals is far more welcome than constant meddling.

You're quite right. Neither President for Life Xi, President for Life Putin, or President for Life Kim had a word to say. 

Well this one is a easy one, even for Thailand. Just need to remember them how the Bush W. elections were handled.???? If you live in a glass house, you should go to the basement to thake a sh..!

Keep the results at least until Saturday, by then I'm out. After that you can put up road barricades, burn down shopping malls, and seize the airport.

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

You're quite right. Neither President for Life Xi, President for Life Putin, or President for Life Kim had a word to say. 

Yes, Thailand does not meddle, nor should US. You think that US which is a laughing stock throughout 

the world has any credentials to offer how Thailand should rule itself.

Look to yourself, resolve issues, become totally non corrupt and then offer your cheap and phoney advice.

Also there is another phoney advice forum, the UN. They have not said a word yet.

Meanwhile, the political parties in Thailand have not yet created a parliament. But the unwanted advice pours in.

Remember that quote "to thine own self be true" Us is a laughing stock, go sort yourselves out first

2 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Unless you can change that, shut up. You want to invade North Korea, China or Africa which I know many yanks want to do.

Other wise give it away. Sort your own corrupt and laughing stock country and then offer advice. 

I am not a coward, bullies are cowards and US is a bully country. And you too I suspect. 

Here's to hoping you don't breed...

6 hours ago, z42 said:

Thailand is selling out to China.  they both give a fig about human rights.

Just now, malibukid said:

i disagree, Thailand could learn from the U.S. our congress actually works most of the time.  and we are not beyond impeaching a President.

You know that you will never impeach the president because your control the population "system" will not allow it.

Yet you preach to all the world about how good you are.

Meanwhile a totally corrupt government rules you supported by 50% of the population.

Go sort your own country out, then offer advice through diplomacy, the UN.

Not another tweet, bleep, facebook forum used by all US public servants or corrupt politicians use to send a message.

Did US congress stop the building of a very stupid wall? Because congress works not at all and has not for more than a decade.

3 minutes ago, malibukid said:

Thailand is selling out to China.  they both give a fig about human rights.

As does US. look to your own country first.

Does human rights begin when children go to school and are gunned down?

Does Human rights begin when so many countries are invaded on phoney intelligence for an economic outcome?

Does human rights begin with unarmed blacks being gunned down constantly?

Does human rights begin with constant repression of indigenous peoples? And so on.

Go sort your own crap country out. Don't deflect by attacking another country. Try not to pretend you are superior.

Because you are not. And your superior and false claims are driving everyone to China.

Italy is the outcast of the EU. So who just moved in and made huge trade deals with them? You just don't get it.

You make non critical friends and then use influence.

Meanwhile China is advancing and you westerners sit on your high horse and will soon fade away. You just do not get it.

2 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

The fact that EU and US tell Thailand what to do is meddling. If you do not comprehend that, you are like most meddling persons ignorant.

I can state to you many electoral corrupt US voting processes. I do not because it is none of my business. Just as Thailand is none of your business. 

quote "Just as Thailand is none of your business."

Actually is a bit of most expats business, especially as many of us live in Thailand with our families, and many also have businesses here too.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

quote "Just as Thailand is none of your business."

Actually is a bit of most expats business, especially as many of us live in Thailand with our families, and many also have businesses here too.

And you can vote?

You are under obligation not to get involved in Thai politics. You never know when someone may come knocking.

The USA needs to mind it's own business.

I personally can't wait until this farce of a democracy has been overthrown again and we are back under a more stable military rule. 

Democracy doesn't work everywhere.

41 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Go sort your own crap country out. Don't deflect by attacking another country. Try not to pretend you are superior.

Try to practice what you preach............ And while you are at it study Human Rights a bit more too.........

5 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

US interference, meddling and criticism of Thai politics will win no friends and further push Thailand away from US.

US has no right to dictate to any country on how to conduct an election.

US is a proven abuser of the electoral process.

Stupid comments such as this throw Thailand closer to China. 

We all know the problems that Thailand has in regards to transparency.

Let Thailand sort that out, not be the big bully that US is in regards to foreign policy

I think the US just wants the election results quickly so they know who they are dealing with; trade, security etc.... jai yennnn

9 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

And your country a shining 'ICON'...... I suppose?????? I am American and doubt your country or any other country can show a better record of the past..... and presently I must admit that our Trump is making us look bad in many ways, but we must give him one more year to mess around then if he hasn't shown any worth he will be out....... I still wouldn't trade MY country for yours or any other..... Just because of Trump...... All of this 'Hate America' just because we asked (or are pushing) Thailand to do good with it's election......

We NEVER mentioned 'Aiming any Nukes' in their direction, Or did you read that into this story also somehow.......

My country is not a shining icon but we do not criticise you. Go think that through and get back to me.

Archived