U.S. presses Thailand for 'expeditious' announcement of election results

webfact

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I think the US just wants the election results quickly so they know who they are dealing with; trade, security etc.... jai yennnn

Sin jai or chin jai.

No, almost all countries need a period to get the deals sorted. It takes Australia up to 2 weeks. (it is only 3 days in Thailand since the election)

The political system is the same and will be for decades, as Thai people voted for.

For instance did EU, Canada, China, Russia demand an early outcome to US elections.

I am sure it would have been seen as unwelcome by all US citizens.

US provides no more security to Thailand and has not for a long time. (Thailand buys Chinese tanks and subs)

Thai people encourage me not to buy US goods, do you try to comprehend what aggressive stupid US policy is doing.

You do not make friends with countries if your opening comments are to criticise. US is killing its foreign policy. Maybe an aircraft carrier will turn up soon to wave the flag.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

And you can vote?

You are under obligation not to get involved in Thai politics. You never know when someone may come knocking.

What does me having a vote got to do with it?

I have a Thai wife and a dual nationality son here.

My wife can and did vote but my son was not old enough.

I know what I can and cannot do so please do not try to lecture me as I need no advice from you. If I need advice I will talk to people who DO know what they are talking about and not from an unknown entity behind a keyboard on a farand website.

46 minutes ago, Jadam said:

The USA needs to mind it's own business.

I personally can't wait until this farce of a democracy has been overthrown again and we are back under a more stable military rule. 

Democracy doesn't work everywhere.

Democracy has never been nurtured or given the chance to grow in Thailand, mainly because of the multitude of military coups.

The military should remain in its barracks and only allowed out in a case of a war (extremely unlikely) or when requested to by the civil government.

If there is any attempt at a military coup the ringleaders should be charged with treason and summarily shot.

56 minutes ago, Jadam said:

The USA needs to mind it's own business.

I personally can't wait until this farce of a democracy has been overthrown again and we are back under a more stable military rule. 

Democracy doesn't work everywhere.

Democracy is the best of a bad bunch. It doesn’t work when the people at the top don’t allow it to. Why won’t they allow it to work? Because democracy helps to hold people accountable for their actions. You can’t go round wearing several different million baht watches without consequences, etc. 

If you think democracy doesn’t work, have a look a Colombia. Basically a failed state in the 80s and now it has one of the best performing economies in South America. Have a look at the counties in Eastern Europe that used to be communist. 

5 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

US interference, meddling and criticism of Thai politics will win no friends and further push Thailand away from US.

US has no right to dictate to any country on how to conduct an election.

US is a proven abuser of the electoral process.

Stupid comments such as this throw Thailand closer to China. 

We all know the problems that Thailand has in regards to transparency.

Let Thailand sort that out, not be the big bully that US is in regards to foreign policy

Indeed. Sounds like an issuance from a career State Dept type, hired in the pre realpolitik days. Certainly it didn't have Pompeo's blessing.

6 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

US interference, meddling and criticism of Thai politics will win no friends and further push Thailand away from US.

US has no right to dictate to any country on how to conduct an election.

US is a proven abuser of the electoral process.

Stupid comments such as this throw Thailand closer to China. 

We all know the problems that Thailand has in regards to transparency.

Let Thailand sort that out, not be the big bully that US is in regards to foreign policy

Billions of dollars in trade come and go between the establish friendship of the  USA and Thailand since 1833. We  respect  their sovereignty! I must admit America had concerns like any other partner/friend, with their peoples struggles over the years

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/southeast-asia-pacific/thailand

4 hours ago, tlandtday said:

omg more Trump talk...

It's called diplomacy . For decades many POTUS have supported Thailand's struggles to sustain their democratic existence .

35 minutes ago, ravip said:

The US political scene is in a mess, but still cannot avoid poking their nose in other peoples <deleted> - and blaming China meanwhile.

Chinese operated troll farm.

And since when has Thailand ever criticised or advised on the corrupt voting habits of US or China or EU or any country, ever.

Stick your noses in your own trough and leave other countries to sort out their own problems.

No one has the right to dictate to a sovereign country on how to run their domestic policy, especially voting habits unless that

country is posing an imminent threat. Thailand poses no threat to any country so how about you all shove off, to be polite.

Ahhh... Sawasdee krup khun Prissana Pescud Chun O'chuh!  Hmmm... it seems the tension of this 'election' has elevated your blood pressure and anger to dangerous levels.  Jai yen jai yen na krup!  You already know that 'meticulous' vote tallying by your staff during the next 2 months will assure your victory... as preordained.

Jai yen na krup.

6 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

And since when has Thailand ever criticised or advised on the corrupt voting habits of US or China or EU or any country, ever.

Stick your noses in your own trough and leave other countries to sort out their own problems.

No one has the right to dictate to a sovereign country on how to run their domestic policy, especially voting habits unless that

country is posing an imminent threat. Thailand poses no threat to any country so how about you all shove off, to be polite.

In my EU home country elections are always free and fair. No corrupt voting habits at all. 

So how about you shove off to be polite.

4 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Yes, Thailand does not meddle, nor should US. You think that US which is a laughing stock throughout 

the world has any credentials to offer how Thailand should rule itself.

Look to yourself, resolve issues, become totally non corrupt and then offer your cheap and phoney advice.

Also there is another phoney advice forum, the UN. They have not said a word yet.

Meanwhile, the political parties in Thailand have not yet created a parliament. But the unwanted advice pours in.

Remember that quote "to thine own self be true" Us is a laughing stock, go sort yourselves out first

For all its faults the USA is a major player on the world stage , Thailand is not and never will be.

4 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

And you can vote?

You are under obligation not to get involved in Thai politics. You never know when someone may come knocking.

And here we see how when pushed,  what could have been an interesting discussion about the pragmatism of trying to offer advice to an extremely proud people transforms into a borderline veiled threat.

I certainly hope these aren't your true colors.

Also, are you aware of the saying "Don't shoot the messenger"?  Yes, even a flawed messenger like the US.  Many, many of us here--US citizens and otherwise--also have serious problems with the US government, you know.  But nothing is 100% good or bad, and letting our emotions get in the way of clear perception looks like a bad idea from both a Western logical and a Buddhist point of view.

Just an observation from one flawed human being to another.  Do with it what you will.

2 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

In my EU home country elections are always free and fair. No corrupt voting habits at all. 

So how about you shove off to be polite.

Of course. Corruption is unheard of... So clean, so fair and I am here...

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

Will be hard pressed to find many Thais who can pronounce that word.

Can you pronounce every single Thai word perfectly?

Why would one expect a non native English speaking person to pronounce all English words perfectly?

Even the native English speakers English pronunciation is questionable, most times!

Thai people encourage me not to buy US goods, do you try to comprehend what aggressive stupid US policy is doing.

Then don't. But do you know what would happen to the US if everybody in Thailand never bought another American made product?  Answer: nothing and nobody in the US would notice.  Now, turn that around and ask yourself what would happen to Thailand if the US embargoed all products from Thailand? Do you think a few people in Thailand might be effected? Is this the sort of thinking you want to engender? Do you have a summer home in Beijing?

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Democracy has never been nurtured or given the chance to grow in Thailand, mainly because of the multitude of military coups.

The military should remain in its barracks and only allowed out in a case of a war (extremely unlikely) or when requested to by the civil government.

If there is any attempt at a military coup the ringleaders should be charged with treason and summarily shot.

Democracy has been given chance after chance and every time it has failed.  Whether it's a rigged election or corruption at the top, it has failed again and again.
When protestors shut down the airport in the capital, something's wrong.
The military intervenes to stop the fighting between the protestors and the government.  I've been in Thailand during two coups and I maintain that the country is the most stable when under military rule.

The problems started again during this election and the campaign leading up to it.  The USA is partly to blame for moaning that "It's not a democracy" and punishing Thailand by cutting off military aid.
In the future, problems will escalate until there are protests and then the military will oust the government again.  And then we'll start the whole cycle over.

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Democracy is the best of a bad bunch. It doesn’t work when the people at the top don’t allow it to. Why won’t they allow it to work? Because democracy helps to hold people accountable for their actions. You can’t go round wearing several different million baht watches without consequences, etc. 

If you think democracy doesn’t work, have a look a Colombia. Basically a failed state in the 80s and now it has one of the best performing economies in South America. Have a look at the counties in Eastern Europe that used to be communist. 

I didn't say democracy doesn't work.  I said it isn't a "One size fits all" universal best option for government and it shouldn't be forced upon countries like Thailand.  Thai people don't respect the results of elections because they are often won by vote-buying or other dishonest measures which ultimately land dishonest politicians to power which they ultimately abuse for personal/family gain.  The rich/educated Thais also get upset when they are outvoted by the "poor stupid" farmers.

These are culturally ingrained problems that won't be fixed anytime soon, if ever.  So in my opinion, military rule is better because the government is better able to control problems like corruption.  Thai people also respect the military government more so than they do the elected leaders.

7 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

I see you mentioned you're from up North. Yes, it's clean up there, but try Greece or another southern nation, those are in the EU as well. 

The reason North is clean is probably because of the Lutheran ethics which took root up there long ago, coupled with Darwinism, douchebags used to freeze to death in the good old days before central heated condos. It's changing rapidly thanks to immigration from countries which don't have the same culture and general decay in native culture itself. Doomed, we are.

As you can see from the above rant, I think the only way to clean up Thai elections is to have a winter with -30 DegC for at least six months, without the sun coming up.

41 minutes ago, Jadam said:

Democracy has been given chance after chance and every time it has failed.  Whether it's a rigged election or corruption at the top, it has failed again and again.
The military intervenes to stop the fighting between the protestors and the government.  I've been in Thailand during two coups and I maintain that the country is the most stable when under military rule.

The problems started again during this election and the campaign leading up to it.  The USA is partly to blame for moaning that "It's not a democracy" and punishing Thailand by cutting off military aid.
In the future, problems will escalate until there are protests and then the military will oust the government again.  And then we'll start the whole cycle over.

I didn't say democracy doesn't work.  I said it isn't a "One size fits all" universal best option for government and it shouldn't be forced upon countries like Thailand.  Thai people don't respect the results of elections because they are often won by vote-buying or other dishonest measures which ultimately land dishonest politicians to power which they ultimately abuse for personal/family gain.  The rich/educated Thais also get upset when they are outvoted by the "poor stupid" farmers.

These are culturally ingrained problems that won't be fixed anytime soon, if ever.  So in my opinion, military rule is better because the government is better able to control problems like corruption.  Thai people also respect the military government more so than they do the elected leaders.

Again, it doesn’t work cos it isn’t allowed to work. If you have law and order (Thailand doesn’t) and you have a semi-decent education system where people are taught to think for themselves (Thailand doesn’t) it will work. 

There’s no real law and order or decent education because a group of people are making sure there aren’t. It benefits them. If they were to change things or allow things to change, democracy would work. Thais are human beings like the rest of us. 

10 hours ago, Jadam said:

So in my opinion, military rule is better because the government is better able to control problems like corruption. 

In theory, yes, but certainly not this particular military government.  Simply not possible with their self-serving incompetence, or their internal factionalism.  Their tough-guy crackdowns on corruption are unevenly applied (surprise! they can't endanger their own little side schemes!) and largely for media consumption.  They are incapable of controlling the problem as they are part of it, and most crackdowns are aimed at eliminating competition and PR value rather than the good of the country as a whole.  As far as Thailand is concerned, you have the same blind faith in military rule that you accuse others of having in democracy.  

Sorry, but corrruption is one of those "culturally ingrained problems" you mentioned that isn't going away soon...doesn't matter if the government is military, democratic, or otherwise.  

Your other point was that people here are more inclined to respect a military government than a democratic one, which makes sense...but after five years, they only thing they respect about this government is their power to come down on the country like a ton of bricks, not their competence.  Even though it feels safe and stable to some, it's also not the way forward.  It's a dead end...it's stagnation...it's increasing irrelevance and decreasing prosperity for the country going into the future.

Everyone has to go through growing pains if they want to, you know, grow.

3 hours ago, ramr said:

Everyone has to go through growing pains if they want to, you know, grow.

IF they want to "move forward" or "grow." Let's not assume that they do.  Perhaps they are happy with things the way they are.

As far as Thailand is concerned, you have the same blind faith in military rule that you accuse others of having in democracy. 

I don't have much faith in any kind of government, nor did I imply that I did.  I simply said that there has been more stability under military rule and that Thai people seem to have more respect for the military government. 

In regards to corruption, it hasn't been eradicated, nor will it ever be, but there haven't been any protests over big kickbacks or secret meetings to approve new projects in the past few years have there?  I certainly haven't seen protestors marching in the streets or shutting down airports, so that's an improvement in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Jadam said:

I disagree with you completely about democracy in Thailand. It doesn't happen overnight nor will it take much root in 4 years. Much as people like or dislike Thaksin he was the only elected PM to complete a full 4 years as PM and then was re-elected by a free vote only to be toppled by yet another military coup.

The only reason that Thailand has been relatively stable since 2014 is because the rulers have the power and the weapons to back themselves up. The military stopped any chance of democracy right from the start. One of their first acts was to give themselves an amnesty for all past, present and FUTURE activities, followed by tearing up of the constitution and writing a new one in their favour.

Look how draconian it is when more than 5 people were forbidden to meet and discuss politics, how any protest against the government was met by "attitude adjustment". how despite all Prayuth's promises to have an election in 2015, 16, 17 and 2018 and it finally turned up this week and what a balls up it has been.

Political parties opposed to the government were hamstrung from the beginning and some banned on the way.

Ridding Thailand from corruption and reforming the police never got off the start line. Happiness and reconciliation for the Thai people didn't happen and probably never will under a military government.

I won't go on anymore but there are so many examples as to why a coup government keeps its power and why the military should never again be allowed to stage a coup.

quote from your post.

"These are culturally ingrained problems that won't be fixed anytime soon, if ever.  So in my opinion, military rule is better because the government is better able to control problems like corruption.  Thai people also respect the military government more so than they do the elected leaders."

The military have no idea of how to run a country and saying that it is better able to control problems like corruption. They are the problem with corruption.

The Thai people out here in rural Khampaeng Phet despise the military leaders and have no respect for them at all. If the people don't respect elected leaders then how come the PTP won more seats than the PPRP despite the gerrymandering of the EC and the changing of the electoral boundaries in favour of the PPRP.

Archived