Brexit multiple choice: How will UK parliament's indicative votes work?

webfact

11 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Can somebody please tell these crooks that we have already voted.
406 constituencies voted to leave. 242 voted to remain.
What is the point of a "People's Vote Referendum" if parliament tries to twist the result afterwards?

The British voting system: you need the highest number of votes in a constituency. With 2 mayor parties, and a few small ones.. let's say... 40 %

Then.. half + 1 constituency and with 0,4*0,5 = 20% of the voters .. you can form a government, who can do as it pleases in the House of Commons. The non-elected but appointed House of Lords... ? ? ? who cares.

5 June 1975: 67,2% of the voters voted for Stay in the EEC. Since then, at every step, a British minister was present in the votes to go ahead. Now,… a gigantic, landsliding, overwhelming, never dreamed of majority of 51,88 % voted for "Leave"( without any restriction under which conditions, and just a mare 48,11% for Remain. So, what it the problem; Why you British did not leave the next day after the election ? Do not worry about your car and plane and a lot of other make-industries: very welcome on the continental "remainers". A dense fog in the ( British) Channel, the continent is isolated again….

Waste of time there is a binary option on the table, Vote for my deal or go to hell (out with no deal).

I am sure the EU would not have extend Article 50 had they thought they were going to get more of TM's crap.    

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Over 17 million people actually physically voted for something you don't like so you deem it Mickey Mouse.

Those votes were actually taken, checked and audited, whereas the petition was not checked for every individual vote.

So which is the more accurate?

It seems that Grouse believes that my post is sad.

Grouse, can you explain to us why you think that way?

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

Over 17 million people actually physically voted for something you don't like so you deem it Mickey Mouse.

Those votes were actually taken, checked and audited, whereas the petition was not checked for every individual vote.

So which is the more accurate?

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

It seems that Grouse believes that my post is sad.

Grouse, can you explain to us why you think that way?

I'll leave Grouse to follow up on the psycho-analysis. I certainly wouldn't consider the contribution Mickey Mouse, more Donald Duck.

So then, my fellow Brexiteers, now that Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg have indicated that they are prepared to vote for Theresa May's motion, are they now to be added to the list of Enemies of The People together with David Davis?

I will not go until you vote for my deal...

If ...and if, she gets ever one of her MP's behind her and actually vote for her meaningful vote she will still be 7 votes short, and if the speaker actually allows the vote in the first place which he has indicated today he is not minded to do so unless there are changes to it.  

And the results:

How MPs voted

Customs union - For: 264 Against: 272

Confirmatory referendum - For: 268 Against: 295

No-deal exit on 12 April - For: 160 Against: 400

Common Market 2.0 - For: 188 Against: 283

EFTA and EEA membership - For: 65 Against: 377

Revoking Article to avoid no deal - For: 184 Against: 293

Labour's Brexit plan - For: 237 Against: 307

Malthouse Plan B - For: 139 Against: 422

All of the above were voted down,,,

Where do we go from here???

16 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You think there will be some bona fide alternative party suddenly springing up with excellent candidates to challenge the Tory and Labor muppets currently mucking the country up?

I doubt it. And I doubt you'll see many sacked by their local consituencies.

Yes I do or one of then main parties will go with a leave EU manifesto and MPs will be forced to back it, unlike the Tories/Labour manifestos in then last GE.

I will bookmark this page so lets see what unfolds.

As you quite rightly mention them muppets, the one thing I believe the whole fiasco has done has brought politics to the forefront of peoples minds who never took any notice, especially to the man/woman in the street. Obviously technology has helped by giving people the alternatives to mainstream media. The amount of people I know who shun mainstream media is astounding and avoid BBC etc. 

So either way what happens there has been some good of Brexit IMHO and no matters what happens with these MP's, it isn't over.

The most significant issue to emerge from last night's Commons debate was the awesome power wielded the smug, power-drunk Speaker.

From a longer list, John Bercow chose the options MPs will vote on tonight: No Deal; Norway plus; Efta/EEA; Labour's alternative plan; staying in the customs union; a second referendum, and revoking Article 50.

He alone will also decide whether to allow a third and final vote today or tomorrow on the PM's withdrawal deal, already rejected twice by Parliament.

That seems an awful lot of clout in the hands of one man, particularly someone openly accused by some of his peers of favouring the Remain side.

41 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Krataiboy, for once i think Bercow was right. Treason May can't keep bringing back the same terrible deal and hope to bully people to vote for it. There is a good reason why that is against Parliament rules. The "deal" is dead.

Not saying Bercow would be wrong to give May a third bite at the indigestible BRINO cherry, just that I hadn't realised the Speaker wielded so much clout. Just proves ignorance isn't bliss!

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

The most significant issue to emerge from last night's Commons debate was the awesome power wielded the smug, power-drunk Speaker.

From a longer list, John Bercow chose the options MPs will vote on tonight: No Deal; Norway plus; Efta/EEA; Labour's alternative plan; staying in the customs union; a second referendum, and revoking Article 50.

He alone will also decide whether to allow a third and final vote today or tomorrow on the PM's withdrawal deal, already rejected twice by Parliament.

That seems an awful lot of clout in the hands of one man, particularly someone openly accused by some of his peers of favouring the Remain side.

He maybe smug...

But he is totally correct to follow the rules.

If it were the will of the MP's to hold the vote she could call for a vote to suspend or remove the offending rule but that will not happen as she would not get enough votes. 

10 hours ago, SheungWan said:

So then, my fellow Brexiteers, now that Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg have indicated that they are prepared to vote for Theresa May's motion, are they now to be added to the list of Enemies of The People together with David Davis?

Wishfull thinking on all counts.

49 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Not saying Bercow would be wrong to give May a third bite at the indigestible BRINO cherry, just that I hadn't realised the Speaker wielded so much clout. Just proves ignorance isn't bliss!

The clout wielded comes from that of the history of Parliamentary precedence. 

17 hours ago, Basil B said:

Waste of time there is a binary option on the table, Vote for my deal or go to hell (out with no deal).

I am sure the EU would not have extend Article 50 had they thought they were going to get more of TM's crap.    

The two Extension periods agreed with the EU precisely fit in with the current difficulties.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Extension probably.

they did vote 441 to 105 in favor of the "EU Brexit Day Amendment" last night.

Full text of the amendment:

Amendment to the definition of “exit day”
2.—(1) Section 20 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (interpretation) is amended as
follows.
(2) In subsection (1), in the definition of “exit day”, for “29 March 2019 at 11.00 p.m. (and”
substitute—
“—
(a) if, in accordance with Article 1 of European Council Decision (EU) 2019/476 of
22 March 2019(c), the period provided for in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on
European Union is extended until 22 May 2019, 11.00 p.m. on that day, or
(b) if not, 11.00 p.m. on 12 April 2019,

(and”. 
(3) In subsection (2) for the words from “references”, where it first appears, to the end
substitute—
“—
(a) references to before, after or on exit day are to be read as references to before, after
or at 11.00 p.m. on 22 May 2019 or (as the case may be) 12 April 2019, and
(b) references to beginning with exit day are to be read as references to beginning with
11.00 p.m. on the day concerned.”. 

Archived