Pattaya: Police volunteer attacks two year old child with truncheon after family turn around at checkpoint

webfact

2 minutes ago, bofhman said:

OK so the low down. I was very very surprised to read this because NO Foreign Volunteer police are allowed to man road stops since June 2018. Period. That's the law and it sticks. ONLY THAI volunteer police may do so OR Tourist Police. Foreign VOLUNTEER police have no authority, power of arrest OR anything else for that matter, what-so-ever. They simply can tell someone where to go... literally ???? They MUST use BIB or Thai Tourist Police.... So two things are possible here... assuming the story is accurate and not BS....it was highly likely a Thai Volunteer or Thai Tourist policeman or a Thai BIB OR lurker took that shot at the family. Take your pick...please, not literally! ⛏️

I don't think anyone has suggested that it was a farang, certainly not the OP.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Sad.  Pattaya is out of control with check stops and the revenue they bring.

Another example of the GREEDY ARMY and police  in charge of thailand wanting more money in fines and also the harrassment of tourists , they are so stupid they harrass tourists the people who spend money here in thailand , its about time to go to a different country im seriously looking at it now 

45 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The 3 on the bike have admitted seeing the checkpoint and turning back to avoid it.

Checkpoints often put spotters in advance of the checkpoint to deal with situations like that and to advise the checkpoint by radio or hand signal of approaching offenders.

Hmm, how do they do this?

Edit: The 'wanna be cop' realized that the perpetrators were going to flee the scene, so in his frustation he whacked the family including the child in the head. A real nice guy. :bah:

6 minutes ago, new2here said:

I agree in that fleeing by the suspect is a bad move and allows for the situation to escalate.. that said, I also think that how that situation is addressed by law enforcement also matters.

I don’t think that a fleeing suspect should simply be allowed to flee without any police attempts to stop or restrain the suspect.. but.. I think those efforts to stop/detain have to be measured and take the safety of EVERYONE - that’s the suspect(s), law enforcement and the public - into account.. as well as the risk to property, be that public or private.

In this case, as it’s presented, I think the family squarely owns the genesis to the issue... it sounds like they knowingly chose to flee .. but the matter also appears to be handled in a manner that resulted in moderately serious consequences.. and the police owns that part.

Thailand is heading for authoritan , dictator state if the army wins the election its time to leave thailand and go somewhere else and i have been coming to thailand for 24 years its never been so bad with harrassment from those in charge .

11 minutes ago, bofhman said:

OK so the low down. I was very very surprised to read this because NO Foreign Volunteer police are allowed to man road stops since June 2018. Period. 

The real lowdown...nowhere in the OP or the link was it claimed that a foreign police volunteer was involved in this, nowhere!

First of all the police volunteer was almost certainly a Farang. They go with the Thai police on to the Darkside looking for drugs etc. Whilst I sympathise with the little baby, the father was making a run from a police checkpoint. My wife has read the report on another site in Thai. He had no driving licence, no tax, no compulsory third party liability insurance, Por Ror Bor and no helmet. If anyone had an accident with him and someone was seriously injured, you are stuffed. So stop this nonsense about the poor family and get real. I have absolutely no sympathy at all, except for the baby.

Why did they "double-back" ?

Because they were breaking the law.

And they knew it.

Should the family have been wearing safety helmets, none of this would have occurred. 

The blame for their injured son lies with them.

Was the 3 year old wearing a safety helmet ? No.

The consequences lie with the parents.

Mother says "all we were doing was trying to avoid a fine"

Wearing helmets would have avoided a fine.

1 simple question need be asked.

"Why were the 3 of them not wearing safety helmets" ?

Scumbag wannabe cop deserves 30 minutes in the town square stocks for that.

However, the role-model mother should have considered putting a yoghurt pot on her little one's head if she is truly concerned for his well-being.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

And they knew it.

Should the family have been wearing safety helmets, none of this would have occurred. 

You need help if you can justify hitting a child in this manner ???? 

2 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

And they knew it.

Plain and obvious assault, should be prosecuted

Do you condone unmitigated violence against a child??

I am puzzled by the parallel twin cuts on the babies head they do not look anything like the mark a police truncheon would make, I would have thought heavy bruising and possible skull damage resulting from the blow by a heavy truncheon, given the bike was probably moving as well. Even a collapsible steel police baton, would not leave a parallel track mark like the one shown in the picture.

It reminds me of the mark a piece of steel din rail  that is used for clipping MCBs onto could make. Or maybe some sort of curtain rail.

11 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

i have been coming to thailand for 24 years its never been so bad with harrassment from those in charge

Apart from the stupid  'before 11am and between 2-5pm' rules regarding alcohol sales, I've not seen any harrassment.

just remember that the official reason they take the fines for no helmets etc is to ensure the safety of the thai people. the reason they hit babies and knock people over is because they are really a bunch of horrible bully-boys with ego problems who dont give two shits about thai welfare. 

What appears to have happened here is disgraceful but two points:

1 - Nothing in the report justifies the use of "volunteer" in the headline.   That appears to be speculation on the part of ThaiVisa's headline writer.

2 - If Thais and falang plus all other ethnic groups did not go around blatantly ignoring the rules, which are generally there for the protection of the people, the police wouldn't need to set-up so many check-points.

In the last month I have needed to visit Bangkok.   Two things stood out on central Bangkok roads.

- The place is still full of dumb people who insist on choking up the roads close to 24 / 7. 

- It was difficult to spot a motorcyclist who was not wearing a crash-helmet.   Almost all pillion passengers wore them too.

If you can't afford a crash-helmet, you can't afford a motor bike.

Another example of the GREEDY ARMY and police  in charge of thailand wanting more money in fines and also the harrassment of tourists , they are so stupid they harrass tourists the people who spend money here in thailand , its about time to go to a different country im seriously looking at it now 

Respectfully I have to disagree. It sounds like (only from what’s written and how I am interpreting it) the check point was already there... so I don’t know that I can agree with “harass” as the check point would be in place for everyone who passes. The other part is that (how the money is used or handled is a separate matter) the so long as what was cited/ticketed was in fact in violation of the law, then again, I can’t really call it harass either.

I’m not saying the RTP are wholly blameless or act with best intentions everyday- but for me to agree to a claim of “harass” I have to see the the citizen was largely not violating the law at the time and/or wasn’t suspected of doing so at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Never seen one on the Darkside, particularly at a traffic stop. Never seen a cop with a truncheon either.

I can assure you those volunteers are there. And they are real m*therf***ers. One stole 3 baht gold out of the 5 baht gold laying in my car on the way to my safe deposit box in the city center. Of course I was crazy because there was 2 baht left.

Another time I got stopped and drug searched by a volunteer and a normal cop. The guy was extremely unfriendly and shouting until the point my brother said "I talk normal, you talk normal okay!" and the real police guy told the volunteer to tone down.

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Usually the goal, when Thai cops deal with fleeers, is to knock the bike over. They often do this by kicking them off. Volunteers are even worse as they are totally untrained, eager to prove themselves and younger and more impetuous.

Fleeing a checkpoint is a risky business. You have escalated the issue with the police. Thai police are irresponsible and unaccountable so if you choose to escalate with them, you are taking a big risk. Notice how the husband continued to escalate further by fighting with the police and then fleeing for a second time. You cannot count on the Thai police to be concerned about your safety.

Bad decisions all round.

imo the fathers actions were instinctual to protect his child and family

I once saw a cop try to tackle a biker who was u-turning on Sathorn Road at night to evade a road block. The cop actually put himself in serious harms way by valiantly attempting a flying tackle at the bike as it turned. But he mistimed it and hurt himself badly missing the bike completely and landing heavily on the road with his gun skittering out of his holster sending sparks across the road.  At first when I heard the clatter and saw the sparks I thought someone had opened fire.  The biker got away and must have had a heroic tale to tell his buddies, while the cop must have had some nasty scrapes and bruises, not to mention a badly dinged up gun. These days they station cops in the shadows as backstops to get the escapees like the "volunteer" in this story. 

Whatever the provocation, which seems rather mild in this case, there is no justification for the attempted murder of a toddler.  He could end up brain damaged from this brutal assault, have detached retinas or God knows what else. 

3 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

So she was breaking the law and tried to dodge a police checkpoint to avoid a fine. The police shouldn't have attacked her, but she should take more responsibility on the road.

responsibility is a dirty word in thailand.  the thai word for it transliterated is . rap peet chaub .     like to receive fault   

lots of thais dont use helmets and cops like to stop them for easy money. it is tantamount to a game both sides know. cant blame them for trying to avoid the checkpoint and save money. cops dont really care who uses a helmet anyway just that they can get money for it.  in the long run it is cheaper to use a helmet than payiny each time you get stopped, not to mention the clear safety implications also.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They do it in daylight as well ..........

This guy didn't where helmet and wanted to escape the 500 bath bribe, now he needs medical attention and repair cost on his bike. NOT fair how the BIB treating motorists.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

True. Have you ever seen a police volunteer, dressed in a black uniform and carrying a truncheon, on the Darkside?

They tend to dress in black and "hide in the shadows" , which is why you have never seen them 

Archived