Pattaya: Police volunteer attacks two year old child with truncheon after family turn around at checkpoint

webfact

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I have seen disgraceful tactics employed by the cops to get someone to stop, with no thought whatsoever for the potential injury or death such stupidity can cause. And for what? 99% of the time, it is simply a bit of extra tea money. I hope the dirtbag that did this is found and publicly crucified. Smashing a baby in the head with a truncheon is just not acceptable in the slightest, regardless of why mum and dad wanted to avoid the stop.

Chance of the policeman being punished:  0%  Move along, this is Thailand.  All day long.  

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, new2here said:

I agree in that fleeing by the suspect is a bad move and allows for the situation to escalate.. that said, I also think that how that situation is addressed by law enforcement also matters.

I don’t think that a fleeing suspect should simply be allowed to flee without any police attempts to stop or restrain the suspect.. but.. I think those efforts to stop/detain have to be measured and take the safety of EVERYONE - that’s the suspect(s), law enforcement and the public - into account.. as well as the risk to property, be that public or private.

In this case, as it’s presented, I think the family squarely owns the genesis to the issue... it sounds like they knowingly chose to flee .. but the matter also appears to be handled in a manner that resulted in moderately serious consequences.. and the police owns that part.

Although the family didnt actually "flee" from the checkpoint , they turned around and went back to avoid it .

Going straight through a check-point and refusing to stop is one thing and you can understand the Police taking measures to stop them , but turning back and the Police attacking you without warning prior to the check-point , is another thing

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Hmm, how do they do this?

Normally they hide behind a tree or lamppost so they can see traffic after it has passed, i.e. from the back. This means the helmetless motorcyclist doesn't see the spotter as they pass him.

26 minutes ago, atyclb said:

imo the fathers actions were instinctual to protect his child and family

Shame these instinctual actions "to protect his child and family" didn't extend to not putting his kid on a motorbike, not having a head protection for his kid on the motorbike and then not attempting to flee from the police three up on a motorbike.

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

This inhumen beast won't be found and even if, the outcome would be he made nothing wrong. Because "police" never can do something wrong.

The more I think about the more I doubt letting my son grow up in this shithole country.

This is the Pattaya Forum, are you suggesting that because maybe you find Pattaya to be a shithole, that the rest of the country is the same?

20 minutes ago, atyclb said:

responsibility is a dirty word in thailand.  the thai word for it transliterated is . rap peet chaub .     like to receive fault   

lots of thais dont use helmets and cops like to stop them for easy money. it is tantamount to a game both sides know. cant blame them for trying to avoid the checkpoint and save money. cops dont really care who uses a helmet anyway just that they can get money for it.  in the long run it is cheaper to use a helmet than payiny each time you get stopped, not to mention the clear safety implications also.

I don't trust BIB's and always u-turn when I see a checkpoint to avoid the BS they pulling. 

Yet the family takes no accountability for their poor behavior choice....

the ball all was in their court and they chose to run....

most of the time, the runners get away from this cat and mouse game...

whats the the reason for not wearing a helmet, getting a license and having proper registration?

answer: laziness

stupid behavior leads to a higher % of a bad outcome...

fate finally caught up to them...

Having seen:

A police officer try to stop a teenager on a motorbike who tried to avoid him when the cop was clearly instructing him to stop, for a few seconds the cop had grabbed hold of the bike and was able to lift the back wheel off the ground, unfortunately he was not able to hold on long enough before other cops could assist, he got free and pulled up a few yards away giving the cop a one fingered salute.

I also witnessed from a coach on a dual carriageway, just before a road block, motorcyclists turn off the lights, pull over to the other carriageway and proceed against the flow of traffic with their lights turned off.

Clearly I really think it is about time the cops did get tough with motorcyclists who do break the law but hitting a two year old across the head is getting pretty low if indeed that was what happened.

In my humble opinion those marks seem more consistent with something with edges than a round trunchone, maybe she fell off or road into something trying to avoid the cop? many Thai motorcyclists are not exactly law abiding citizens, do you think they all tell the truth as well??? 

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Usually the goal, when Thai cops deal with fleeers, is to knock the bike over. They often do this by kicking them off. Volunteers are even worse as they are totally untrained, eager to prove themselves and younger and more impetuous.

Fleeing a checkpoint is a risky business. You have escalated the issue with the police. Thai police are irresponsible and unaccountable so if you choose to escalate with them, you are taking a big risk. Notice how the husband continued to escalate further by fighting with the police and then fleeing for a second time. You cannot count on the Thai police to be concerned about your safety.

Bad decisions all round.

"Notice how the husband continued to escalate further by fighting with the police and then fleeing for a second time." 

"She said that the man was still not satisfied with what he had done - he raised his baton to strike again as the husband and father kicked out to prevent further injury. The family managed to get away."

So the family was supposed to stand still and do nothing when the "police" raised his baton to strike again - a toddler for goodness sake! And due to the fact that the child was vomiting and had to be taken to another hospital. I would not be surprised if there is not brain damage or a fractured skull.

2 hours ago, CGW said:

You need help if you can justify hitting a child in this manner ???? 

The Policeman probably swung at the driver and missed.

I very much doubt he deliberately swung his baton at the kid, who was probably sandwiched between the 2 adults.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Plain and obvious assault, should be prosecuted

Do you condone unmitigated violence against a child??

Doubt he targeted the kid.

Probably targeted the driver and missed. 

The helmetless kid was probably sandwiched between the 2 irresponsible adults.

Just being Mr Obvious here, but why not wear helmets and then not evade the police.  Is evading the police not a crime in Thailand?  My guess is evading the police is not a crime.

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Just being Mr Obvious here, but why not wear helmets and then not evade the police.  Is evading the police not a crime in Thailand?  My guess is evading the police is not a crime.

Yes, they should wear helmets and they shouldnt try to avoid roadblocks  , but also , the Police shouldnt attack people if they dont , let alone potentially killing babies .

Evading Police is a crime , as is attacking people

Tragic outcome from what was a normal checkpoint, I cannot in any way condone what happened, it was totally uncalled for!

However in many countries if you approach a checkpoint & do a U-turn you are asking for trouble !

They should have excepted they got caught out & should have just stopped & pleaded ignorant !

21 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

The Policeman probably swung at the driver and missed.

I very much doubt he deliberately swung his baton at the kid, who was probably sandwiched between the 2 adults.

Decent of you to give the baton waving thug the benefit of the doubt ????

RE - Police volunteer attacks two year old child with truncheon after family turn around at checkpoint

Obviously lack of background check and training for volunteers ...

Archived