British fugitive attempts to flee Australia on jet ski

webfact

Fugitive attempts to flee Australia on jet ski

By Euan McKirdy and Angus Watson, CNN

(CNN)A fugitive attempting to flee Australia on jet ski came agonizingly close to freedom before authorities caught him, following a 150 kilometer (93 mile) chase across the Torres Strait.

The man, thought to be a 57-year-old British fugitive wanted on drug charges, was trying to reach Papua New Guinea and was "possibly armed with a crossbow and carrying additional fuel and supplies," according to an Australian Border Force (ABF) press release.

He was apprehended on mud flats off the eastern side of Saibai Island, just kilometers from the Papua New Guinea mainland, according to the ABF.

Full story: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/27/australia/australia-fugitive-jetski-escape-intl/index.html

-- CNN 2019-03-27

3 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Sounds like the script of a new adventure movie...only let him reach the island and enjoy dinner with the locals...????

Or in another century he may have become dinner

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Sounds like the script of a new adventure movie...only let him reach the island and enjoy dinner with the locals...????

No, the failure, when almost there, is what adds that extra tragic piquancy:

1 hour ago, nausea said:

No, the failure, when almost there, is what adds that extra tragic piquancy:

Yes the clip takes me back to 1964, when as a small boy I made my first trip to the cinema on my own. It was in the days when you got two films for the price of one. The Great Escape was, deservedly, the A movie, and 633 Squadron was the B movie.

The target is destroyed, but at the loss of the entire squadron, hence the final words: ‘You can’t kill a squadron.”

John Sturges directed The Great Escape. Afterwards, he worked on the first script for 633 Squadron, but dropped out to direct another movie instead.

Although largely forgotten, it was one of several British war movies that George Lucas used to plan the attack on the Death Star in the original Star Wars movie released in 1977..

I had forgotten all that, so thanks for the memory ????

The guy in the ThaiVisa story sounds a larger than life character. I have met someone like him in Thailand. Not a drug dealer, but he is intelligent and resourceful, an alpha male who takes what he wants, with menaces if necessary.. Superficially charming and helpful, you eventually realise, as you get to know him, that he has a hollow heart. He doesn’t really care about other people.  The only thing he is interested in is money; it’s his god, and boy does he worship his god. The kind of businessman, who, if you shake hands with him on a deal, you need to count your fingers afterwards, just in case. I suspect the guy in this story is just the same. At the end of the day, he’s a ducker ‘n diver, who is dangerous to know.

It depends on the scenario, as Wellington said, my own guys scare me more than the enemy. In a drug dealing scenario, they're scum. Twist it a bit, and they're heroes. The point is, I suppose, that we need risk takers and chancers among us. A society without them is a very dead and moribund society indeed.

Archived