Vote-buying rampant in Samut Prakan, claim activists

webfact

Vote-buying rampant in Samut Prakan, claim activists

By The Nation

6d7f9de07e485a7377ebf9ab4c0710d1.jpeg

File photo : Vote counting in Samut Prakarn on March 24

A group of activists in Samut Prakan on Wednesday refused to accept the election results in their province.

Prachachon Yak Luektang (People Who Want to Vote) claimed there was rampant cheating at the polls on Sunday.

They submitted a petition at Election Commission headquarters that claimed many citizens had been paid Bt500 each to vote for specific parties.

“We want the commission to investigate the vote-buying and cancel all the poll results,” said Anurak Janetawanich, one of the group’s leaders. 

He declined to single out any party as being involved in the practice.

In results as yet still unofficial, Phalang Pracharat Party candidates won six of the province’s seven constituencies and a Future Forward candidate the other one.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366639

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-27

We got a phonecall sunday morning,mother in law very happy with the money.This happened further north and i talked to people who got paid 3x500 baht.Yes go ahead and cancel all of the results.That would make somebody very happy i guess.

My Mrs. told me a long time ago "I accept everybodys money at election time (and they all do it - offer money that is) But it is still a secret ballot! She never told me who she voted for.

12 minutes ago, Chassa said:

My Mrs. told me a long time ago "I accept everybodys money at election time (and they all do it - offer money that is) But it is still a secret ballot! She never told me who she voted for.

a few thai friends have told me vote buying is very common, interestingly all said they would accept the money but would still vote for who they wanted, one specifically said she'd accept the money but not vote for that party because they were corrupt!

vote buying seems to be an accepted norm of the election process here.

Archived