Sold My House - No Money?

On 3/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, JusMe said:

I would name him here, but I think there's a policy about naming-and-shaming that would delete my posts, so if someone can make personal contact, PM me and I'll let you know.

It's not enough money (about 1.2 mil baht) to warrant taking the chance on flying over, staying for a while, and trying to get it myself.  And now I don't know anyone there at all, which is why I'm pretty much dependant on digital contact.  Can't even get an email address for the RTP, although that might not do much more than waste some digits.

And no, this is not a troll.  The money is stuck there, somewhere, and if I can get it, great.  Particularly if someone here can give me a bit of a hand on it.

My partner and I used a Swedish agent in Ban Phe to sell the first 2 condos we owned here before we moved to Pattaya.  That was nearly 9 years ago.  Both sales went off with no problems but we were there for the closings and they were condos, not houses.  Can't remember the agent's name but I do remember he was Swedish, as were the buyers of our condos.  I can understand your not wanting to return, with all that entails, when there's no guarantee you will be able to salvage anything.   

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/28/2019 at 1:46 AM, JusMe said:

If I actually knew it all, I wouldn't have posted here asking for help.

So, thanks for all your help in posting the response.

Seems to me as well you know it all, if you rich enough to not spend about 5000 to come and get 50000  i think you dont have a qeustion here at all other then trying to get other people to solve your problems . Get out of your lazy chair and get over here solve it yourself .

10 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

It wouldn't hurt to contact the Thai Embassy in Ottawa. 

I think that it would hurt-just more effort to achieve more disappointment

The Embassy will ask for some proof of ownership.

The OP has non.

The only evidence that exists is that the house is not legally his

As I read it you are not prepared to make the effort to collect around 30,000 dollars US. I would have been on a plane a while ago and combined it with a nice beach holiday. 

Why not contact an English speaking lawyer here with Thai partners, send him copies and the information on the realtor. And have him handle things for a fee.....you still may end up flying here maybe to sign papers etc., but at least you would have concise info on the situation before you get here.

Try a search for Issan Lawyers Korat on line....the lead English speaking lawyer is French Canadian, and you can talk with him on Skype. My bill is in the mail.

On 3/29/2019 at 6:56 AM, JusMe said:

Then I left it in the hands of the selling agent, who'd been a friend of mine for about 20 years.

That is a bad mix, best of luck, unfortunately "trust" even with friends removes your power when money is involved.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:24 AM, spidermike007 said:

100,000 baht and you have a deal. I would do it just for fun.

let us all know how you get on. dont you just love these scum bags not paying the OP his money cos hes no longer here to chase the toe rag.

not responding to emails is a pretty big red flag.   I guess you could not reach him by phone either.

Obvious suspicion is that you have been cheated.   If you can think of anyone that is willing to go confront agent in person (any TV volunteers ?)....... then you would have some clue what happenned.  Getting anything done with police or lawyers is mostly futile EVEN if you are here.  I don't know if Starky is in the "debt collection"  business..... but maybe

Just now, hyku1147 said:

The OP could contact his embassy.

OP could do many things only is either too lazy or incapable of doing any.

with every suggestion he comes back with some negative response why or how it would not work.

he has bot moved a finger and yet he knows the answer .

has he contacted police ? No, because appearantly he can not find their email and calling is I guess to much of a trouble 

has he contacted any lawyers? No, because appearantly he does not know who, and google is too much work to find out .

he was given suggestion to contact OCPB, has he contacted them ? No, because appearantly he read and understand they can not help, and yet he has not even tried .

he is happy to let go off a million. But offers 50000 for anyone to collect, yet when people say 100000 he ignores them.

has he tried to come over to sort it out? No, because appearantly it’s costly, spending $5000 to collect $40000 is not reasonable for him.

has he tried calling agent? No , he is sending him emails . How about using different email address and name to contact as if a buyer and see if agent responds? But no, all of it is somehow out of his reach.

we lost a load of money to a shady farang builder.  we tried through the courts but it was slow, and we were unsuccessful.

wife and i went to local police shop.  offered them 5,000 to help (i was willing to pay a lot more, but wife was smart), and sure enough the builder was dragged down the cop shop next morning, and a repayment plan was negotiated, signed, and later enforced

ours was 300,000b .... yours is 1.2 million

you need to be over here though, with all your evidence, plus a mate or two to back you up when you go to the swedes office (count me in for 10k) ????

Here's an update:  I know that some ThaiVisa members have contacted the agent in Ban Phe, GinBoy2 telling me that when he called and mentioned my name, he was hung up on.

However, along with loads of forum notes this morning, I got an email from the agent:

Im very Sorry, for our late answers, we will pay back all money owned  to you, Dont worry about that!

We will pay back in instalments as I said before as we can not send everything as once,.

The first payment will come now in April. And [his Thai partner] will send the summery this week,

Once again, Im sorry, for late responses to the sale of your house,

So, things are looking a bit more positive.  I'm still not sure why they can't send the funds through a bank transfer, as it's not that much, and I've given him the originals of money being sent years ago to buy the house.

So, a somewhat positive possibility.  I'll post again with any further news.  And thanks to all those who have PM'ed me and offered help in contacting him, and even with legal help if it becomes necessary.  I will get to individual thanks once we've seen some result.

7 hours ago, JusMe said:

Here's an update:  I know that some ThaiVisa members have contacted the agent in Ban Phe, GinBoy2 telling me that when he called and mentioned my name, he was hung up on.

However, along with loads of forum notes this morning, I got an email from the agent:

So, things are looking a bit more positive.  I'm still not sure why they can't send the funds through a bank transfer, as it's not that much, and I've given him the originals of money being sent years ago to buy the house.

So, a somewhat positive possibility.  I'll post again with any further news.  And thanks to all those who have PM'ed me and offered help in contacting him, and even with legal help if it becomes necessary.  I will get to individual thanks once we've seen some result.

i agree with you , why cant they send all the money ? dont hold your breath. i hope you do get all your money owed to you.

17 hours ago, xylophone said:

balo has said he can investigate on your behalf..........so why don't YOU PM balo with the info and he can follow up for you.

We already communicated via PM's and I will visit the office in a few days, we already know a lot about this Swedish guy.  But as already been mentioned he already replied so hopefully someting positive will come out of this. 

16 hours ago, newnative said:

My partner and I used a Swedish agent in Ban Phe to sell the first 2 condos we owned here before we moved to Pattaya.  That was nearly 9 years ago. 

That's probably the same guy, he has been active in Ban Phe for almost 18 years. 

He has a good reputation among the Swedish expats, so hopefully this will get sorted out soon.  

39 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i agree with you , why cant they send all the money ? dont hold your breath. i hope you do get all your money owed to you.

Not too sure why they can't send the money all in one go.  Not as if it's that much to kick in bank regulations and suspicions of laundering.  I do have, and sent him, copies of the initial bank transfers to buy the house.  And it has been almost six months since the sale, so ....

At least the latest email is a positive sign, so maybe ...

10 hours ago, JusMe said:

I'm still not sure why they can't send the funds through a bank transfer, as it's not that much, and I've given him the

Maybe they have to come up with the money....ooops spent a bit

of it my bad..

anything that he writes to you acknowledging that he owes you money, make sure you keep, as you may need as evidence in the future if he doesnt pay in full

also, ask him now how long these installemnts will take and make sure he knows you are not happy that he has taken this long already

On 3/28/2019 at 1:15 AM, Benroon said:

Someone's ripped you off to the tune of millions presumably and an air flight is too expensive to go and sort it out ? and you've sat on this for FIVE months ?

Get the next flight - or pay me a small commission and I'll go and get it !

Yes, this OP sounds like a guy who begging to be scammed, sign me up on the scammers list to.

12 hours ago, UKJASE said:

anything that he writes to you acknowledging that he owes you money, make sure you keep, as you may need as evidence in the future if he doesnt pay in full

also, ask him now how long these installemnts will take and make sure he knows you are not happy that he has taken this long already

I've got the email I quoted earlier, so that's an indication of acceptance of responsibility.  I hope for something early this week indicating how many instalments, how long.  Still don't know why it can't be in one transfer, but anything I come up with is purely speculation, which I'll keep private rather than make public suggestions.

That post removal was mine and at my request.  I had included information that should have been left out.  However, here's the main point of it all:

Update:  As I've had no money transferred, nor any "summary" about it all, I can only speculate that the funds, instead of going into an escrow account, have been transferred between different accounts, left pocket to right pocket and back again, some to pay off pressing debts with hopes that procrastination will permit this one to fade away.  Not going to happen.

So, I've decided that I need some external help on it.

A firm should be contacting the agent, indicating that piecemeal payments are not acceptable, that it should be sent through the firm's bank account.  There will be some cost to me for this, but better than waiting an interminable amount of time for nothing.  If it has to go even further, the Letter of Demand will include all legal fees and costs, as well as some amount for the lost opportunity I've had over six months for income from investing that money.

Hope all those who have contributed by sending me information and offers to make contact understand how much I do appreciate their help, and are able to keep up with developments on this forum.

I received a "Summary" from the agent this morning.  First, he is indicating an additional 38,450 baht paid to the property management company, from which I already have the invoice, which includes everything but not this additional amount.  Unacceptable.

He has also said that he cannot send the one million baht in one transfer, but wants to divide it into instalments over ten months.  That too is unacceptable.

I'm hoping the firm I have contacted will be able to extract the money from him and send it to me in one sum.

I will keep the forum updated.

The latest legal note I received is a request for 25,000 baht in order to proceed.  Guess there's no such thing as contingency with Thai lawyers.  If that one can't take it on without up front payment, perhaps someone else confident about their own abilities will.

I have written to a second legal representative, but any other contacts sent to me by PM would be appreciated.

Archived