Sold My House - No Money?

I just won a case where I bought for 3.6 Mil THB Land in Tapong (Opposite Phe) and this land was under a private loan (nothing official) so the owner couldn't give me the chanot.

I have since years a lawyer from Bangkok who is winning about 99% of all cases even if you get ripped off by a whore and lose the house. 

He appears a bit lethargic at the court and sometimes I have the idea he is the inspector Colombo in Thai...

You know: "Hmmmm, I have one last question" and then he strips the opponent down to the bone in a way that they don't stand a chance. he is always the important step ahead.. 

His assistant comes with another lady and does then the final works holding the opponent and his lawyer under a continuous pressure. 

I am very satisfied as he is absolute pro farang and has almost in any court connections of highest ranks. 

He is a bit costy (last case was a sum of 3.6 mil baht and he charged 200k) but its money well spent. I put my hand in the fire that he is worth every baht.  

If you are interested I can give you his contact number, but you need some Thai as translator, he doesn't speak English. 

The Police especially in the Ban Phe/Tapong area won't help as all are some way related there. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/28/2019 at 1:25 AM, JusMe said:

and the agent sent me papers for signing for its sale, but didn't actually tell me when the sale went through, and hasn't contacted me since.

Obvious the agent has your money. I would go after the Swede rather than his Thai partner if I were you. He’s a Farang so he will pay rather than have a problem with Thai Police or Immigration. (Likely he also has no work permit for that job either). Bring all documents as proof. Pay the local Police to handle it. Job done. (Take a translator / lawyer with you when going to the Police).

Your mistake was not getting a lawyer to handle the sale.

See Will & DaRoadrunner seem not to have read the entire thread.  Clearly, I am not currently in Thailand, have not been for a couple of years, and have no intention of returning.

The agent does have a work permit, and owns the business in partnership with his Thai partner, business and personal.  They've regularly paid the necessary tea money for his work permit to be processed rather than expire at the bottom of a pile of paper.

As for making a mistake in not getting a lawyer to handle the sale, it was done by the registered real estate agent.  Very similar to when I first bought it, although from a different company.  (Only two in Ban Phe, unless there's been changes since I was last there.)

5 minutes ago, JusMe said:

See Will & DaRoadrunner seem not to have read the entire thread.  Clearly, I am not currently in Thailand, have not been for a couple of years, and have no intention of returning.

The agent does have a work permit, and owns the business in partnership with his Thai partner, business and personal.  They've regularly paid the necessary tea money for his work permit to be processed rather than expire at the bottom of a pile of paper.

As for making a mistake in not getting a lawyer to handle the sale, it was done by the registered real estate agent.  Very similar to when I first bought it, although from a different company.  (Only two in Ban Phe, unless there's been changes since I was last there.)

Sigh.... Ya can't help some people. (Roadrunner bangs head on wall). A registered real estate agent is NOT a lawyer. If you want your money YOU are going to have to come here to get it, or pay someone to do it for you, or stop wasting other poster's time. End of.

11 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Sigh.... Ya can't help some people. (Roadrunner bangs head on wall). A registered real estate agent is NOT a lawyer. If you want your money YOU are going to have to come here to get it, or pay someone to do it for you, or stop wasting other poster's time. End of.

Not entirely correct:

I said get a translator and obviously this translator has to be in Thailand then the lawyer can help as he did before for repatriated expats.

The translator need a permit to do the job and a letter (with all the other required docs) that he is allowed to do so and this person signs the permit for the lawyer.

If you have lost your house and all belongings to a whore you most likely return home on your last grizzle.

but if you don't mind a laugh (Roadrunner hurts himself by headbanging) about another Farang who throws a copious amount of money out of the window.

The fact is that it was not even a low life whore but another expat makes me even more laugh.

Ok nuff said, you want it you have it.. 

• 1 month later...

Final Update, and a bit of a surprise

I managed to contact a couple of the lawyers suggested by PMs from posters to the forum, and eventually one of them accepted, in effect, to take it on contingency.  Either she thought about it and knew that there was some money probable, or she made a few phone calls and made contact and then realized that it was "in for a penny, in for a pound" and pursuing the matter was the only way she was going to get some cash out of the problem.  Works out to 35k plus 5% of money recovered.

She made phone contact (difficult, as both cell phone numbers had been changed in February) and eventually had a brief meeting and got an agreement to pay the full sum plus some interest (might cover her cost off the top?) in five payments.

The Swede has avoided anything related to it for a while, and if I didn't know that he'd had only a few short vacations to Sweden over at least the past 25 years, and has said he never really wanted to return, I'd have speculated he'd done a runner.  But his work permit and visa and residency depend on his working there, so unlikely he'd actually move off anywhere, just avoid.

The lawyer met with them and received five cheques covering the total amount owed, four of them post dated.  I've received the first payment - getting sent by the lawyer from her business account, not from the agency - and do hope for the next four, as long as none of those cheques bounce.  I'd prefer the lawyer collect it all in her account and then send it as one transfer with obviously lower bank fees, but if it can't be done, at least I'll get some cash out of the whole problem.

But, this is at least a movement in the right direction, and I'll finish this as a final posting on the subject.  If anyone wants the contact information for that lawyer in Pattaya, send me a PM and I'll be glad to forward it to you.  Her English was adequate and we did manage to communicate by email, and as it was successful, this is a positive recommendation for her services.

On 4/7/2019 at 2:51 AM, JusMe said:

For a while I was in your corner, hoping you would get some resolution to this situation. But now, every message of yours just screams "I know everything, I know it all..." and yet you haven't even thought to make the Swedish guy transfer even a small amount, 10,000 baht or 15,000 baht, as a demonstration of intention to repay you. Why would you start negotiating a payment plan without making him send you even a tiny bit of cash as proof of intent? 

And this aversion to using the telephone, especially your unwillingness to spend two minutes to call someone who's stealing your money, what is that all about? OCD? Social anxiety disorder? Hermit-man? It may be treatable, clearly you're not receiving treatment now, you should get that checked out. 

Bottom line: Nobody likes a know-it-all, and you sure are a know-it-all. I'm beginning to see why people cheat you. Because it's so easy to rationalize that someone like you deserves to be cheated just for being such an annoying know-it-all. Can you really blame them? 

Good luck, but not from me.

MiNombreEsFicticious:  get your meds adjusted

NCC:  I too would have preferred the lawyer collect it all and then send it in one payment, but apparently they prefer to do several.  Won't cost too much, and at least that way I know the cheques aren't bouncing.

9 hours ago, JusMe said:

I'd prefer the lawyer collect it all in her account and then send it as one transfer with obviously lower bank fees, but if it can't be done, at least I'll get some cash out of the whole problem.

The costs for this should be tiny, compared to the amount involved. Also by sending it in several smaller amounts the lawyer may be avoiding having to get special permission to do it.

Archived