Pattaya: Police volunteer charged with wounding toddler

webfact

Police volunteer charged with wounding toddler

By THEERAWAT THONGMA, 
DETHAWEE THEEWARANGKOOL 
THE NATION

67a4713dfc6627cf00ae56b640130abd.jpeg

A POLICE volunteer who wounded a two-year-old boy as his parents tried to flee a traffic checkpoint in Chon Buri province has been charged with assault and suspended from duty.

The boy’s parents say they intend to take action to make sure the charge is upgraded and one legal expert has claimed the circumstances appear to warrant the man being charged with attempted murder.

The ugly scene took place on Tuesday evening.

image.png389bb442660c1a1c19d4da61a23fdf5e.jpeg

The boy’s mother said the volunteer did not see the boy sitting between her and her husband on their motorcycle when he accosted them for making a U-turn upon seeing the checkpoint in Soi Khao Talo, South Pattaya.

He struck the toddler on the head, knocking him unconscious and opening a 10-centimetre wound that required three stitches.

The boy repeatedly vomited afterwards, indicating a concussion, and was found to have bleeding on the brain. 

His mother, 25-year-old Kalaya Tomklang, said she would file a complaint with police. 

“We were just avoiding the checkpoint so we wouldn’t have to pay a fine,” she said in tears. “Is that so serious a crime that you have to overreact like that?

b2a67cb5bc463c2f88cac6231c4ea599.jpeg

Now I’m just worried about my son’s health. He’s my only child. I want justice for him.”

The incident went public when a person who met the couple at Bang Lamung Hospital posted the details on Facebook.

Police yesterday identified the volunteer in question as Jakkapop Boonrod and summoned him at 2pm to give his side of the story, but he didn’t show up.

Nong Prue deputy superintendent Pol Lt-Colonel Krit Masook said he had visited the hospital to check on the boy’s condition earlier in the day. 

He said the boy’s CT-Scan had cleared him of brain injury but doctors advised he needed to rest until he makes a full recovery. 

He said he had assured the family that police would cover all their medical expenses and would ensure that justice prevailed. 

Krit revealed that Jakkapop had initially been charged with assault – but it might be upgraded to a more serious charge if police inquiries showed that was warranted.

Police said Jakkapop, who had served as a police volunteer for nearly 10 years, was saddened by what had happened but still insisted that he hadn’t hit the toddler with a baton, as the family claimed, but just used a long piece of wood to block their way.

However, he said the toddler’s father was riding fast and he swerved to avoid hitting the piece of wood, so he quickly pulled it away, causing it to hit the toddler’s head. 

Police have already suspended Jakkapop from duty and may bar him from any further police volunteer work in future.

9be9a13c8e20ce07a8bdf326cb7ac7e9.jpeg

Meanwhile, Thai lawyer Decha Kittiwittayanan – who is famous for his Facebook page called “Thanai Klaitook” (trans. problem-solving lawyer)

(facebook.com/dechalaw/) where he gives out legal advice – yesterday said the volunteer’s action could be construed as attempted murder within the |law.

The use of a weapon, having it land on someone’s head and the severity of the blow indicated that this may be considered an attempted murder because such an action could be perceived as having the possible consequence of the victim’s death, he explained. 

The police volunteer may therefore face the charge of attempted murder – an offence punishable by two-thirds of whatever prison sentence an offence would merit when the conviction was for murder.

Decha said police volunteers were regarded as normal citizens who had no authority to make any arrest.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366670

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-28

related story:

Pattaya: Police volunteer attacks two year old child with truncheon after family turn around at checkpoint

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1091816-pattaya-police-volunteer-attacks-two-year-old-child-with-truncheon-after-family-turn-around-at-checkpoint/

I watch Youtubers videos as police around the world conduct their business...intimidating, aggressive, excessive use of force, and outright murder are not that unusual...makes my blood boil to see them taser people if they do not act quickly enough to their demands...children are not exempt...

They lie, plant evidence, and kill innocent people...then work in unity to cover up evidence of wrong doing.

The best thing ever for citizens is the cell phone video...it saves lives and sends corrupt cops to jail...

3 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

"

owever, he said the toddler’s father was riding fast and he swerved to avoid hitting the piece of wood," oh, ok, so using a piece of wood is ok... imagine if a cop in the US, UK, Australia etc did this.

In America if you avoided a checkpoint, rode away fast to escape apprehension you'd be laying on the floor with several .38 holes in you !

Not saying I condone the action of the volunteer, but the action of the family got a re-action from the police 

The parents are to blame - tried to flee a checkpoint, this way bringing the child in danger

It is well known in Thailand that police are chasing those who obviously avoid a checkpoint - and rightly so.

It is known that they might even shoot

The father risked his son's life

"The boy’s mother said the volunteer did not see the boy sitting between her and her husband on their motorcycle"

And since when is it allowed to ride with 3 persons on a motorcycle?

It was a regrettable accident - no intention to wound the child. The volunteer wante to stop a potential criminal

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said Jakkapop, who had served as a police volunteer for nearly 10 years, was saddened by what had happened but still insisted that he hadn’t hit the toddler with a baton, as the family claimed, but just used a long piece of wood to block their way.

However, he said the toddler’s father was riding fast and he swerved to avoid hitting the piece of wood, so he quickly pulled it away, causing it to hit the toddler’s head. 

...and Jakkapop said all the above while:

summoned him at 2pm to give his side of the story, but he didn’t show up.

Is a police volunteer a real policeman or just a hanger-on who gets a share of the daily take?  Why are they blockading Kao Talo?  There's never a copper on duty during rush-hour of an evening when traffic grinds to a standstill.  Why don't police stand outside the two cop-shops on Suk and book red light runners?  They'd bag 120 an hour @2 dogs nuts

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

The parents are to blame - tried to flee a checkpoint, this way bringing the child in danger

It is well known in Thailand that police are chasing those who obviously avoid a checkpoint - and rightly so.

"The boy’s mother said the volunteer did not see the boy sitting between her and her husband on their motorcycle"

It was a regrettable accident - no intention to wound the child. The volunteer wante to stop a potential criminal

I agree. They could have been avoiding the police checkpoint because they were carrying drugs, so chasing them down was in order. A shame though, as the parents were only setting an example to their kid of believing it is okay to ignore the law when he's older, and they see nothing wrong in that. And the beat goes on......

Meanwhile, the police say they are charging the volunteer with assault and invite him to come and have a chat as it's too hot to go outside their office and arrest him. And he, in turn, sticks his fingers up to them, as the parents did, so what happens now.

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

The majority of the checkpoints in Thailand are not legal. they are set up by local police strictly as a money earner.  A Police checkpoint has to have permission from a Superintendent for a specific purpose.

In addition, there is no probable cause to stop anyone unless they are seen violating a law- such as weaving back and forth; running a red light etc.

Also, there  was no reason to use a truncheon on anyone- they didn't run a checkpoint -they turned around. Completely different.  This so called 'volunteer needs to be indicted for assault; and whoever ordered the checkpoint suspended for investigation.  If this had happened in a Western country- this family would be counting millions in compensation.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Is a police volunteer a real policeman or just a hanger-on

Hanger-on. They get a plastic card. Some of them want to eventually join up. Most will have regular daytime jobs. I have worked with them. The connections are invaluable. I don't think most of them do it for any takings they might receive. It's the excitement factor and belonging to a group but most of all, it is those connections. If you have an issue, whether it be a conflict with somebody or a legal issue, the connections and friends who can help are king.

Talking about Thais here not farangs.

4 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Two wrongs don’t make a right. The father made a mistake in turning round and trying to drive away, but that doesn’t justify the volunteer’s subsequent actions. The fact he hasn’t turned up to be interviewed shows he knows he’s in the wrong.

Even if the volunteer, who is of 10 years’ experience, couldn’t see the child, he would have noticed that there was a woman on the back, and yet he still acted in a reckless way. They weren’t Bonny and Clyde, but just a young couple, who, foolishly, were trying to avoid paying the fine.

Thank goodness he had only a piece of wood and not a gun, otherwise the consequences could have been more serious.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Now I’m just worried about my son’s health. He’s my only child. I want justice for him.”

Now I’m just worried about my son’s health. He’s my only child. I want justice lots of money for him to make this go away. 

Yes, you can call me cynical ????

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Love the way the Nong Prue Deputy Superintendent appoints himself as the hospital spokesperson. So entitled and typically Thai.

"Nong Prue deputy superintendent Pol Lt-Colonel Krit Masook said he had visited the hospital to check on the boy’s condition earlier in the day. 

He said the boy’s CT-Scan had cleared him of brain injury but doctors advised he needed to rest until he makes a full recovery".

You must be reading a different report because in the OP there was no suggestion at all of that. He visited the child in hospital and quoted what doctors had, obviously, told him.  So nothing "entitled" about it but your nasty observation of his being "typically Thai" is, ironically, well said regarding the officers compassion towards the boy.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

The majority of the checkpoints in Thailand are not legal. they are set up by local police strictly as a money earner.  A Police checkpoint has to have permission from a Superintendent for a specific purpose.

In addition, there is no probable cause to stop anyone unless they are seen violating a law- such as weaving back and forth; running a red light etc.

"In addition, there is no probable cause to stop anyone unless they are seen violating a law..."

Which country's laws are you quoting?

Any time you have an encounter with police, most anywhere in the world (outside official business), that officer can become judge, jury, and executioner at the blink of an eye. For example: A jogger in Hollywood was gunned down by two cops when he reached for a card to show the officers that he was a deaf mute. Always use caution. Grovel if you must. They expect it.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Nong Prue deputy superintendent Pol Lt-Colonel Krit Masook said he had visited the hospital to check on the boy’s condition earlier in the day. 

He said the boy’s CT-Scan had cleared him of brain injury but doctors advised he needed to rest until he makes a full recovery".

You must be reading a different report because in the OP there was no suggestion at all of that. He visited the child in hospital and quoted what doctors had, obviously, told him.  So nothing "entitled" about it but your nasty observation of his being "typically Thai" is, ironically, well said regarding the officers compassion towards the boy.

Since when can the deputy superintendent interpret CT scans? He can't. Earlier in the report it is stated the child has bleeding on the brain. The deputy superintendent should leave the medical bulletins to the medical professionals, stop the whitewashing and perhaps train his officers and police volunteers not to stop motorbikes with lumps of wood.

In regards to your second comment, there have been numerous threads in which high-ranking Thai officials make a statement unofficially speaking on behalf of third parties, often foreign governments or organisations. It is a Thai trait regularly commented upon.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

3 hours ago, silver sea said:

Two wrongs don’t make a right. The father made a mistake in turning round and trying to drive away, but that doesn’t justify the volunteer’s subsequent actions. The fact he hasn’t turned up to be interviewed shows he knows he’s in the wrong.

Even if the volunteer, who is of 10 years’ experience, couldn’t see the child, he would have noticed that there was a woman on the back, and yet he still acted in a reckless way. They weren’t Bonny and Clyde, but just a young couple, who, foolishly, were trying to avoid paying the fine.

Thank goodness he had only a piece of wood and not a gun, otherwise the consequences could have been more serious.

the father turned round to avoid the checkpoint  - makes him suspicious of being a criminal trying to flee. Who knew he was not a murderer going to kill again if not apprehended?

In this case duty of police to stop him. Police in every country would do that. Using a stick instead of a gun was appropriate. He could not see the child.

Only the father to blame. Big mistake to turn round in sight of the checkpoint  in particular with a child on the bike.

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Now I’m just worried about my son’s health. He’s my only child. I want justice lots of money for him to make this go away. 

Yes, you can call me cynical ????

You could be called many other things ...with some justification.

7 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

the father turned round to avoid the checkpoint  - makes him suspicious of being a criminal trying to flee. Who knew he was not a murderer going to kill again if not apprehended?

In this case duty of police to stop him. Police in every country would do that. Using a stick instead of a gun was appropriate. He could not see the child.

Only the father to blame. Big mistake to turn round in sight of the checkpoint.

It not illegal

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

The child was in danger the moment they sat him on the bike....

Yes. They should have been in their chauffeur driven Rolls Royce

Archived