Pattaya: Police volunteer charged with wounding toddler

webfact

Not saying what happened is nice but if the kid would wear a helmet, this would never been that bad. 
How is taking your own young child, without helmet, on a motorbike in Thailand not attempt of murder?

45 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

the father turned round to avoid the checkpoint  - makes him suspicious of being a criminal trying to flee. Who knew he was not a murderer going to kill again if not apprehended?

In this case duty of police to stop him. Police in every country would do that. Using a stick instead of a gun was appropriate. He could not see the child.

Only the father to blame. Big mistake to turn round in sight of the checkpoint  in particular with a child on the bike.

Nonsense.

The volunteer could simply have taken note of the licence plate if he imagined they were a potential Bonnie and Clyde or radioed on for someone else to stop them.

The fact is that they were not suspected of committing any particular crime, so the obstruction was totally unwarranted.

Recently there was a road block at the traffic lights of Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Klang(to check for drivers under the influence). I just happened to be turning down the soi before that corner and a policemen tried to block me from going down the soi. 

Do you think he would have been within his rights to try to kick my bike?

There was no roadblock where he was standing and I had certainly not committed any crime. So some idiot standing hidden around a corner to stop people that he suspects might be trying to avoid the roadblock is not good enough.

If he as much as touched me there would have been hell to pay.

A roadblock is a roadblock and it has to be manned by the correct personnel, not some random policeman hidden around an early corner. If they want a roadblock there, then set it up there. But I wouldn't stop for a random policeman. They just get...the look.

I think some people are confused about the role of law enforcement.

We the people are supposed to be in charge. The police are not in charge of us, but are supposed to be working for us and on our behalf.

They need to have parameters to their behaviour. Which is why roadblocks need to have specific rules....and why the volunteer is in peril of being prosecuted.

Labelling someone a criminal for changing course is simply ridiculous and worse still if their transgression was for not wearing helmets. Hardly warrants someone being attacked with a piece of wood. That is madness....the inmates taking charge of the asylum.

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

In America if you avoided a checkpoint, rode away fast to escape apprehension you'd be laying on the floor with several .38 holes in you !

Not saying I condone the action of the volunteer, but the action of the family got a re-action from the police 

Yeah well we all know how America is turning out don't we!

5 hours ago, UASCB500BIKER said:

Check stop at 3rd and Pattaya Thai saids fi

ne is 5000B (drunk) friend payed 3000B FEB 2019 cops could  rake-in  50 000B a night????????

in a way it's "good"  that the corrupt devoted hardworking cops, generate their racket money fines on letting off the drunks driving.

Because if not, they would look for alternative methods to generate pocket money  fines with worse practices to racket harass people, should they be thai or foreign.

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You could be called many other things ...with some justification.

Carry on Mcduff, you could make poster of the year ???? 

If she truly cared for her son, as she claims to do, then she would have bought him a helmet !! but no, she will want copious amounts of wonga in her hand first, will she then buy her son a helmet, very doubtful.

The law of the land stes that people on motorbikes will wear helmets, and not more than 2 on a bike, all the Thais ignore the rules and regulations until it suits them, then they cry foul.

Try to be here more than 2 minutes before you feel empowered to make stupid statements.

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Since when can the deputy superintendent interpret CT scans? He can't. 

In regards to your second comment, there have been numerous threads in which high-ranking Thai officials make a statement unofficially speaking on behalf of third parties, often foreign governments or organisations. It is a Thai trait regularly commented upon.

"Since when can the deputy superintendent interpret CT scans? He can't".

He can't?  Do you know that?  As unlikely as it is, you do not know that but that's beside the point. 

He didn't claim that he could do that, he was reporting what the doctors told him, very obviously.  It was you suggesting that he was putting himself in a position claiming to interpret a CT scan.  You!

Your last paragraph is irrelevant to your, albeit, incorrect comments about the officer in question and meaningless in this context.

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

I think some people are confused about the role of law enforcement.

We the people are supposed to be in charge. The police are not in charge of us, but are supposed to be working for us and on our behalf.

They need to have parameters to their behaviour.

I think that maybe you're dreaming.

17 hours ago, Thaidream said:

In addition, there is no probable cause to stop anyone unless they are seen violating a law- such as weaving back and forth; running a red light etc.

Or not wearing a helmet or riding 3 up on a motorcycle and running from the scene?

On 3/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, Just Weird said:
On 3/28/2019 at 10:42 AM, atyclb said:

mother said child has "blood on brain" and doctors say ct scan clear.

The scan would be clear if the bleeding had then stopped when that comment was made, wouldn't it?

no it would not.  unless surgically evacuated, blood remains and takes quite a bit of time to be resorbed.

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:
On 3/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, Just Weird said:
On 3/28/2019 at 10:42 AM, atyclb said:

mother said child has "blood on brain" and doctors say ct scan clear.

The scan would be clear if the bleeding had then stopped when that comment was made, wouldn't it?

no it would not.  unless surgically evacuated, blood remains and takes quite a bit of time to be resorbed.

what exactly is funny in my reply?

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
7 minutes ago, atyclb said:

I was saying that the scan was clear from the point of view that the bleeding had stopped!

the presence of intracranial blood after a head injury can never be interpreted as "clear" . one possible exception is a known old bleed that shows no changes(progression) on new ct scan

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
19 minutes ago, atyclb said:

what exactly is funny in my reply?

Your misinterpretation of what I said.

im not upset or angry, just puzzled by what seems a bizarre response

On 3/28/2019 at 1:36 PM, Thaidream said:

If this had happened in a Western country- this family would be counting millions in compensation.

It didn't and they won't be.

That's another peculiarity of Thailand. It's in Asia.

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Or not wearing a helmet or riding 3 up on a motorcycle and running from the scene?

If they were spotted riding three to a motorcycle, that would mean that the child was in fact seen. So even less reason to be wielding a stick at them.

If they weren't wearing helmets, then a civilian attacking them with a stick is a far worse crime than them endangering their own lives by not wearing a helmet.

So instead of trying to defend the indefensible, you should try to apply some common sense.

Helmets aren't free and whilst I as a foreigner can easily afford one, I wouldn't presume it's the same for everyone.

It's not as if they were driving an S Class Mercedes....

So the fine may have been too much for them to bear. Hardly makes them criminals worthy of a beating.

Oh, the irony....

Daily News reported that Jakkapop(the volunteer) had changed his profile picture on Facebook and left a message accepting that he had done wrong but asking his detractors: "Have you never done anything wrong and fled the scene?"

Maybe someone should have whacked him on the head when he fled.....

Archived